Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 2, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3687399

the ad promises a "flowering, scented, shade tree in just one season" "zooms up to 12 feet in one season--spreads up to 30 feet across" price is 9.98 for 2 trees with a guarantee---the name of the tree is the empress tree--also known as the Royal Paulownia Tree-----so has anyone tried this tree?--i have some big spaces i could fill in and the picture is pretty but it sounds so unbelievable--
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3687481

Here's a link about this tree...it seems pretty informative.

http://forestry.about.com/cs/royalpaulownia/a/r_p_goldroot.htm

Hope this helps

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3687689

The one thing the article doesn't mention is that this tree is highly invasive in many areas of the country. I found it listed as a potential threat on texasinvasives.org, so I wouldn't plant it if I were you. If you do decide to buy it anyway, I would look up the company you're buying it from in Garden Watchdog first to make sure they're trustworthy.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3687719

I think these adds sound too good to be true, be carefull because I know some so called fast growing trees/shrubs are actually grafted onto other rootstocks, I am not saying this is the case here, but if you also want flowers (and these trees have wonderfull perfumed flowers that look like foxgloves) any that are grafted, maybe wont flower, they dont really flower till they are well matured but I would say, worth the wait, find out more about the growers of the tree if poss so you know exactly what you are geting, good luck, hope your lucky. WeeNel.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3687731

These trees really do grow fast and really do have pretty flowers and are not grafted or anything. The "too good to be true" part is the bit about them being horribly invasive, which I'm sure the people selling them won't bother to mention to you!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3687929

Someone put it in their front yard and in three years you could not see the house anymore! pretty but very huge...it was marketed as a timber tree to be planted when you had a baby girl...so she would have enough timber for her furniture upon her marriage.The leaves were the size of a dinner plate ...the people chopped theirs down as it dwarfed everything...like Jack's beanstalk.PS the seeds cost a fortune at the time:marvelous marketing gimmic.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #3688674

North Carolina spend big bucks trying to eradicate Palonia (sp?) They spread into areas and crowd out native vegetation...the very definition of invasiveness. If I'm not mistaken, they are difficult to get rid of here because they tend to resprout after being cut down.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3688822

Have you seen the seeds ...huge like marbles and I bet that they sprout very easily ...so I don't know what to say about it really...it did live up to what was said but...you would need huge space and be most careful about picking up every seed I think.Oh I forgot to say it required a great deal of water due to those big soft leaves...so I suppose that could be a big problem unless you have your own dam or private sauce...if you can imagine what happens to say pumpkin leaves on hot dry days that is how it was and the lady of the house was constantly watering it.I drove past it several times a day and it did grow like that magic beanstalk.Oh and one other thing the flowers were at the top of the tree...right on the tip..nowhere else.I am curious do you think you will grow it?
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 3, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #3688997

will i grow it? well now that i read it needs lots of water i sure won't--i live in texas --we are flooding and raining every day for the last 6 weeks but this is just crazy weather--we don't get a lot of rain and last year had a bad drought--the summer lasts forever and the days are in high 90's or 100's for months at a time--no-i will have to pass on a tree that would have me out watering it every day--not to mention that we are not allowed to water every day!! thank you all for the info--it is starting to sound a little like jack and the bean stalk the way it grows so quick!!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 3, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #3689028

Aaaaawwwweee I feel awful- but I think you have made the right choice.Why don't you start a thread to ask folk for suggestions...tell them what things that you would like in a tree and throw it open ...I am sure many will help...once again sorry to have shattered your dream...but not all fairy tales have a happy ending...I am sure someone will have a brilliant idea...good luck.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 3, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #3690148

i went to the Garden Watchdog and looked up the company that has the add--this being before i asked for help in this thread---oh my goodness! that company has some very angry ex customers! people getting dead trees, no trees, etc --along with rude employees and no chance of getting a refund!!! if i were to get the trees-which i won't be doing--i would go to another source-----i like giving our local places my money better anyhow----

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America