Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Good or Bad Plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
_Nadine
Walterville, OR

July 3, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3688027

This just popped up one day. I see one other like it in another area. The stem is somewhat prickly. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks again.

Nadine

Thumbnail by _Nadine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 3, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3688220

Hi Nadine, you say the plant stems are prickly, do you mean thorns, if it is really thorny it could be a bird visited your garden and layed the seeds of raspberry/blackberry, these root very easy and can tangle around the other plants, as they grow, wherever the plant lays on the growned, it will root and can become invasive, however if it is not this, then I need to get my thinking cap back on, good luck, WeeNel.
_Nadine
Walterville, OR

July 3, 2007
5:59 AM

Post #3689123

WeeNel,
I don't think it is blackberry as I already have a ton of those and it doesn't look the same. However, I did think it might be a berry of some sort since the stems are prickly. They are kind of hairy/prickly... They aren't as bad (yet) as the blackberry bushes around here where it will rip you to shreds so maybe a nicer berry plant? One can hope!

Thanks WeeNel!
marzissa
Irvine, CA

July 4, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #3694841

Maybe its an astilbe? i remember them as being hairy.
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #3724858

I have to say it looks just like the sprouts of trunpet vine that are shooting off in my yard about 10 feet from the original site of the vine that growws up a tree in my yard. Do you have trumpet vine in your yard, or maybe a neighbor?? I bet it's a baby! If I can make my digital cam work, I'll take a quick pic and be back top post it for you to compare! If it is, depending on what close proximity it is to other plants you have, will decide if it's good or bad. I love it it attracts hummingbirds, but it can strangle out other plants as most any invasive vining plants.
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3724909

here's one new plant this year growing on its own

Thumbnail by KTsGarden

KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #3724914

and here is my "mature" plant

Thumbnail by KTsGarden

KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3724938

another which grew across the yard in my son's digging pit! Hardy little guy!!!

Thumbnail by KTsGarden

KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3724959

and here is it's flower cluster, I LOVE this!

Thumbnail by KTsGarden

_Nadine
Walterville, OR

July 17, 2007
5:44 AM

Post #3745219

Hi marzissa! I looked up astilbe and I don't think it is. It's stems are thick and kind of thorny. I've pulled one but I notice another one in a different area. I'm going to keep it around and see what it grows into.

KTsGarden - I really enjoyed your photos! I love the bloom - unfortunately, I just don't think it's the same plant. But of course, now I'm interested in the trumpet vine so I'm off to look it up!

Nadine
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3755213

yes, I wasn't sure if it was the same, just looked similar so I thought I'd post in case! Trunpet vine is GREAT! hummingbirds LOVE it too! It can become quite invasive though. Let me say, I have had mine growing up a tree for at least 10 years and for sone reason the last 3 years I have been getting flowers. Not sure why, my soil stinks though, so maybe that?? I think normally blooms come sooner, just an FYI for you so you don't get discouraged if they don't bloom. I planted wisteria that did the same thing, only bloomed for me the last couple years after quite some time being here. PLANT NEITHER TYPE OF VINE AROUND ANYTHING YOU LOVE, IT WILL CHOKE IT OUT!!!!

ENJOY!!
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3755627

Occassionally I get these little weeds that look similar that grow up in my yard and my flower beds. I have to use gloves to pull them because, although it doesn't have 'thorns', it does have hairy little pricky things that will jab you. The roots are always pretty thick and white, like one long root. Not the little thin root balls or whatever, just a single thick root. I just pull them out when I see them. I never really knew what they were though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America