Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: I. D. help needed.

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3689031

I just returned from a five day field trip, with the Alaska Native Plant Society, to Nome, in the northwest part of Alaska. From a distance everything appears to be a barren wasteland. Close up it is an endless floral garden, at this time of the year, teaming with life, and colorful blossoms. I got a few good photos of birds, I had never seen before. I took these pictures on July 1, 2007 near the summit of Anvil Mountain above Nome, Alaska. I can't seem to locate it in any of my reference books.
This is the only shot of an adult I got.
Thanks in advance:
Gary

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3689076

The telephoto lens captured more details, than my eyes saw at the time. Turns out most of the pictures were of freshly fledged juveniles jumping in and out of view on the rocky slop. Look closely, there are two well camouflaged juveniles in this shot.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2007
5:37 AM

Post #3689086

A single juvenile from the back.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2007
8:09 AM

Post #3689217

After addition study, I have concluded they are Northern Wheatear. The first picture is a female. Description in "Birds of Alaska" by Robert H. Armstrong: "Habitat. Above timber line, rocky fields in the tundra and rocky mountain ridges. Nests in crevices under rocks or in rubble." His description is, perfict for the place I observed them.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2007
9:53 AM

Post #3689259

Yep, Wheatear. Your first pic is actually a male, the females are pale sandy brown above, not grey, and with brown, not black, flight feathers. I get to see plenty of them over here ;-)

Resin
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 3, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3690103

Very nice pics Gary! Congratulations on sighting & getting pics of a new bird for you!
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3690222

Thanks, Resin and Pelletory. Actually, on this trip, I added several new species to my list of birds I have photographed. I also added dozens of new tundra flowers to my photo library. It is going to take a while to sort, identify, and label the hundreds of photos from the trip. I also saw herds of Musk Oxen, large wild ox, native to the arctic tundra of Alaska, Canada, and Greenland.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 3, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3690676

What a great trip Gary! Can't wait to see the rest of your pics!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America