Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gardening by the Moon: Those who know how to read an almanac

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 81, Views: 851
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3694491

Thanks Dave for your prompt response to the request for this forum.

Now, since I was the one who initially asked for the forum, I am asking those knowledgeable about reading and interpreting the almanac to step forward and help all of us learn to use it.

Then go spread the word on other forums, so that we will get the maximum exposure and begin this exciting quest for information.

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3694550

I alway purchase a Farmers Almanac each year. I have tried to figure out how to read it for use in the garden.
I love the articles, quotes and comments.

Great idea for a forum Bonnie. I am adding this to my watch list...
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2007
5:35 PM

Post #3694811

Me, too - I'm excited to learn (sorry, I know nothing so can't be one of the teachers!)
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3694831

Im with Murmur.. I know nothing, except it worked wonderfully for my Grandparents, but boy am I eager to learn. Anything that will help things grow better here... I am all ears.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2007
5:40 PM

Post #3694839

I can't wait to learn how to do this! It seems anytime I've met someone who gardens by the moon gets great results. My sister gets her hair trimmed by the moon phases and it always looks great too, hmmmm!
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #3694961

Sorry can't help with this question. The only gardening by the moon I've done was after I read somewhere that tulip bulbs should be planted at the dark of the moon. Those who knew I did that made fun of me, then had to concede I had the best flush of tulips in town.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2007
6:16 PM

Post #3695025

This something I'm read a tiny bit about and looking forward to learning more
What a great forum Defoecat.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3695201

Wow, this was quick, now we just need to find a person who actually knows how to read an almanac.

Come on somebody step up and help us.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3695255

Here are a couple of links that tabasco put on the thread in the voting booth. Thanks tabasco, they make a good starting point
http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html
oops lost the second one, will go and search
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2007
7:16 PM

Post #3695264

here it is
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0710_030710_moongarden.html
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3695293

Wow, Philomel - thanks for those!!! Maybe if we don't get any "experts" per se, we can all read and make suggestions as to what we might want to do at a certain time?

I'm really excited about this - I had read about it recently in a GreenPrints publication and I was given a Farmer's Almanac for Christmas this last year . . . I hadn't done anything yet, but maybe this forum/thread will get me going.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3695306

Very interesting Philomel! Thanks for the links.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3695366

You're welcome - they were really tabasco's links. I'm a beginner at this, but have been following the general principles when I can.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3695401

Well then, thank YOU too, T!! :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #3695455

I will be happy to help once I get a new copy of the Almanac...I didn't bother to get one this year since I knew there would be no planting in this yard this year due to the demolition...
Being Native American, my family has only ever planted according to the sun and the moon..Waxing or Waning does indeed make a difference...I will never forget one year it was supposed to pour rain on the day my GrandFather was to plant his peas... GrandMother told him to plant them the day before since it was dry, and he threw a fit...The next day he was out in the rain, planting peas, and had a bumper crop...LOL
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3695510

Thanks Marcy_1
I didn't get a copy either this year - though I had one in 2006. I shall be really interested to hear your advice and anecdotes Dusty

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3695623

i don't follow the advice in the farmer's almanac. i DO but a copy every year of
'gardening by the moon' availablle online because she gives not only the moon signs, but the astrological sign. a book i have had several years interprets all those other signs, so together they work for me.

i needed a tooth pulled a few years back and would not make the appointment until i read my book for a good sign. i almost didn't even bleed enough to make the clot necessary to keep from having a dry socket, and usually i'm a bleeder in that situation.

same thing fror haircuts, fishing, calving and a host of other things. the book is 'raising by the moon'... the complete guide to gardening and living by the signs of the moon. 2 nc men wrote it years ago, jack pyle and taylor reese.

my neighbor has weaned calves with some difficulty. someone told him to do it when the moon is in a sign below the knees... never again a peep from the calves separated from their mothers.

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3695874

it's interesting... my mom has always cut our hair on new moon... and that is a very commom practice in Brazil...

I have never gardened based on that... but I think is something worth looking into it!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3695993

Thank you for the links philomel and tabasco! Very interesting reading (btw I've ordered the calendar)!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #3696213

Thanks Tabasco for those links. I purchased a Gardening by the moon calendar last year, and the information on it was sort of sparse. I would like to see a more comprehensive calendar, which would suggest planting times, pruning times, weeding, and harvest.

I know that we have several native americans whose families have used this practice for many years, and would like to hear more from them. Dusty, thanks for your contribution, and I could mail you my copy of the almanac, if you will help us interpret.

I would like for us to compile a calendar all our own, to share here, and it is a very doeable project, if we get input from the general population at Daves. We have approximately 6 months to complete one for 2008. I know that we can do it.

We will need volunteers to do research, and someone to receive and compile data, and then we will talk about what to do with the data when we complete that phase.

Now, lets hear from those interested in participating in this project.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3696256

did no one read my post above about a wonderful book that interprets each sign, not just moon, but all the zodiac signs whch have a GREAT infuence on planting by the moon.

or, have i become the village idiot and folks skip my posts?
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 5, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3696271

We, at least I, read it darius...but it would be so nice to have the information here in the forum, for those of us without the budget to purchase a book, but would still like to learn the art.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3696277

okay, i know my remarks above were ugly. but I have some of the VERY BEST information available about gardening by the moon, over several generations and several nationalities, and my remarks went un=noticed.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3696283

sorry, 3... it would take weeks and weeks to make sense of the information unless i copied it word for word, a no-no for copyright material.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3696316

Quoted by Darius""over several generations and several nationalities, and my remarks went un=noticed.""

How do you figure that??? Today is a Holiday, and very few are online...Including me...I've been busy moving dirt all day...
You are right .. Your remarks were Ugly... and uncalled for within a 3 hour period from when you posted them to give others time to respond...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3696362

Sorry Defoecat...I'll pass...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
1:05 AM

Post #3696456

How about we blame all the fuss on the moon and start over on a happier note? ;-)

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3696467

Kassia & Darius,
Why get your hair cut during a new moon?

(somebody had to ask)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3696990

Surgery too is better done by the "signs" as my Grandmother used to say...and you NEVER weaned babies when the signs were in the stomach...or something like that.

Darius...I don't suppose you had time to check the signs before you had your gall bladder out...HMMMM...maybe that's why you had so much pain.

If you had told my Grandmother that she believed in Astrology...she would have had a hissy fit...she just called them "the signs". Jo
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3696992

Darius, sorry if I offended you. I was away for several hours,and evidently we cross posted, or just didn't take the time to go back and read all of the posts. I didn't see your post until now. I didn't mean to single out any race, but just commented that most native americans have been doing this for years, and in my opinion, thought we could get some good help there. I will make an attempt to get that book from the library and read it. Since you already have a lot of information on the subject, I will ask you to be the first contributor and start us off on the right foot.

So, all sharp instruments are buried, and we will continue brainstorming.

Please anybody with any reliable information please start posting, and we will then evaluate the data and start compiling it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3697013

thanks, bonnie. i shall start on minor notes as i begin to feel better.

jo, you are probably right about the timing of the surgery although i had no choice.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #3697042

Thanks Darius, I don't want us to get started on the wrong foot. Afterall, since we are here, we all are expressing our interest in the topic, Gardening by the Moon.

Let me clarify the statement in my above post. RELIABLE INFORMATION. I know that we have all had grandparents or parents who told us that planting, weeding or some other gardening endeavor was best done in the full, dark, light of the moon. That is good information if you have it. But we want information that can be verified. Not, someone told me that... You understand. So if you give information, please be able to verify it's source. We don't want half-truths to muddy the waters.

Thanks to all for you thoughts and suggestions so far. Now lets get brainstorming and see what we can find out.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3697141

http://www.almanac.com/astrology/index.php
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/MoonPlanting.html

i find the above links to be helpful. i hope others would too. if i am not mistaken a great majority of people in the orient do follow moon phase planting. i am sure, non of the old farmers from the Philippines have heard of almanac.com, one thing for sure their moon phase planting system has been pass on for generations.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 5, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3698052

dcat,
Great idea for a Forum. I'm definitely going to put it in my favorites. Unfortunately I know nothing about moon gardening. However I sure am interested in it.

darius,
Wasn't on all day yesterday so am just reading your post now. I will be trying to get that book from my library and if I find I can't live without it, I'll be buying it.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 5, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #3698116

Well, couldn't get it from the library so ordered it from amazon.

Kelly

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3698135

kelly, it's really a good book and i think you will like what ypu learn from it. i assumed it was out of print but also asumed used copies might be available on half.com or amazon.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3698206

i truly am sorry about my posted remarks yesterday, and sorry for everyone i offended. yesterday was one of the worst days (both physically and emotionally) of my life... bad enough that if i were so inclined i may have just done away with myself. i have asked admin to remove my post.

however, gardening by the moon fascinates me more every year as i learn bits and pieces and see them go from an abstract thought in something i've read into actual visual results in my garden.

i also work with the nature spirits (dusty will know) and one of my agreements is that the rabbits, deer, etc. are welcome to 10% of everything i grow. seldom do i lose any more than that eccept an unusual year of fungus.

when i start feeling better i will drag out my moon book and post some ideas.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3698231

Breathe deep, darius. We're pulling for you no matter what phase the moon is in. I'm excited about that book -- I just wonder how to tailor a calendar to utilize all the info. This will be great.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3698265

Planting by the signs is a fairly straight forward operation. You plant aboveground crops (lettuce, peas, tomatoes, etc.) when the moon is waxing (growing) from New to Full Moon. Underground crops (beets, radishes carrots, potatoes, etc.) are planted when the moon is waning from Full to New Moon. However, true gardening by the signs is a bit more complicated.

On its 29 day journey around the earth the Moon passes (from an earthling's point of view) through all 12 signs of the Zodiac. These signs are divided into four broad Elemental groups: they're either Water, Earth, Air, or Fire. Those signs classified as Water or Earth Signs are generally considered optimal for planting and pruning for growth. Air and Fire Signs are classified as Barren Signs and are generally suitable for weeding, tilling the soil, and pruning for control of growth.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3698266

one year i made my own calendar from a big desk pad calendar, one sheet per month, and marked ALL the days and even times as the astroligical signs changed (including the moon void of course). it was a lot of work and actually more information than my brain could comprehend. at least i was smart enough to color-code it so an easy glance helped to know when to weed, when to plant root crops, etc.

i should do that again, hopefully before fall crops this year.

i need to run... been throwing up my meds for nearly 30 minutes now. sure wish i new which one is the culprit.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3698292

To garden by the signs, therefore, one plants when the Moon is both waxing and in a Fertile Sign; and weeds, tills, and harvests when the Moon is waning and in a Barren Sign.

In addition, one never plants on a Sunday. Sunday (named after and supposedly ruled by the Sun) is a fiery, barren day and therefore unsuitable for planting no matter the sign. Native Americans obviously have different reasons for this than the typical Christian beliefs that it is a Holy Day... Also, one never plants on days when the Moon is undergoing a phase change, ie: New Moon, Full Moon, or either quarter.

Below will be a list of the Signs of the Zodiac showing their properties and a brief description of what to do when the moon is in that particular sign. Numbers following the description denote the quarter of the Moon's cycle (beginning at New Moon) when the action described is best carried out.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3698303

These are the Fertile Signs

Water Signs
Cancer - best time to plant aerial crops, or prune to encourage growth, or graft (1,2); plant seed (2), and plant root crops (3). It's also the best time to water since plants take it up more easily in a water sign.
Pisces - transplant or sow seed in this sign for vigorous root growth (2). Fertilize root crops or graft for best results now (1,2); or plant root crops (3).
Scorpio - best sign for planting seed (2), or graft or prune for growth (1,2); or plant root crops (3).

Earth Signs
Taurus - transplant in this sign for hardy plants (1,2); sow seed (2); plant root crops (3); or prune to limit growth (4).
Virgo - till, cultivate, and turn compost heaps (1-4); garden pests and weeds are most vulnerable in this sign and pruning to shape plants is most effective (4).
Capricorn - prune for strong growth and graft in this sign (1,2); plant seeds (2); plant bulbs, tubers and rhizomes (3).
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3698319

These are the Barren signs

Fire Signs
Leo - prune to shape shrubs in this most fiery of the fire signs (1); or cultivate and till the soil (1-4); this is the best sign to weed or control pests (4).
Aries - destroy weeds and pests (1,2); or till and cultivate (1-4); prune to limit growth, turn sod, and harvest crops for best keeping qualities now (4).
Sagittarius - till and cultivate in this sign (1-3); plant onions (3); or weed, prune to limit growth, or harvest crops for maximum keeping qualities (4).

Air Signs
Gemini - cultivate and till in this sign (1-3); harvest herbs and root crops (4); or weed for maximal effectiveness (4).
Aquarius - cultivate and till the earth in this dry, airy sign (1-3); get rid of weeds or harvest crops for long-term storage (4).
Libra - plant annual flowers (1,2); plant vines (2); flowers picked in this sign last longest and plants pruned now will keep their shape longer (4).
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 5, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #3698327

ooooooo...Dusty...you should start a new thread with all this wonderful information!!!!
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #3698332

I'm interested in moon gardening also. I just purchased the "Raising with the Moon: Complete Guide to Gardening and Living by the Signs of the Moon" and "You and the Man in the Moon" By J. Pyle and T. Reese from Amazon. Since I know nothing on this topic I'm anxiously waiting to learn.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3698334

yippee, dusty! you just posted what would have taken me days to re-read and then post. thanks!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3698336

sempervirens, i have their first book but not the second. great information in it.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3698375

Dusty, sensational information - thank you! I will be printing it out and trying to make it work on my calendar. Gosh, not planting on Sundays could be difficult as sometimes that's my only free day!!!

Darius, I'm intrigued enough by your enthusiasm for the book that I am going to try to find it (library, or cheap somewhere). I do hope you begin to feel better TODAY!. Please take care of yourself.

Sempervirens, those sound good, too - now I have two more books to look into!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3698403

What all of you need to do is to get your correct Latitude and Longitude...The signs are not the same depending on Northern or Southern Hemisphere or other locations..
For example, it is Already tomorrow in Australia...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3698457

And you are right Darius...You MUST work with the Nature Spirits...For example, now that I am back up north, I feed my squirrels year round...They will not destroy your gardens if they are well fed...Rather than considering them a pest, I can enjoy watching them playing together in the big tree...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3698467

fyi... the gardening by the moon calendar is put out in 3 US versions depending on if you live in a short day zone, long day zone, and i forget the other one. still doesn't give enough info on lat/longitude but better than nothing.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3698479

dustry, we have very few squirrels here because the father and son across the street love squirrel stew.

now, if they'd give appropriate thanks for the life the squirrel has given up to feed them, i'd not mind quite so much.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #3698494

Very True Darius...

Try this to search for your area... http://www.bcca.org/misc/qiblih/latlong.html

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #3698548

Wonderful information and so well written. Even I can understand it.. Thanks so much Dusty.

So I guess I need to take a trip to SC over my birthday in late August so I can amend the soil and till it in for the veggie garden next spring since I haven't moved yet.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3698562

These are names of the Full Moons...You can see the Native Influence here.

January: Wolf
February: Snow, Quickening, Storm
March: Worm, Sap, Chaste
April: Seed, Pink, Grass, Sprouting, Wind
May: Flower, Corn Planting, Hare
June: Strong, Rose, Sun, Strawberry
July: Mead, Thunder, Buck
August: Sturgeon, Wort, Corn
September: Barley, Harvest
October: Hunter's, Blood
November: Mourning, Beaver
December: Cold, Oak, Long Night's
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3698567

Carat...What is the nearest large town to Filbert, SC?

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #3698727

Clover and York are nearest towns that are close to me and on the map. We are 8.3 miles from the NC border off HWY 321 just south of Gastonia, NC.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
5:17 PM

Post #3698790

These would be the closet to you...

Rock Hill 34° 59' N 80° 58' W
Spartanburg AP 34° 58' N 82° 0' W
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3698823

According to the Moon in August it will be full on the 28th...Good time to till...

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3698888

LOL, great birthday activity. I can have a tilling party and have everyone bring compost, coarse sand or animal droppings as the gifts.

DH would never let me live it down although it probably wouldn't surprise him much..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3698926

don't forget that true north and magnetic north are moving farther apart. i think it's something like 12-15º now.

casey, your area of sc used to get about 3000 degree days but with our crazy climate changes that may have changed a bunch. (degree days are based on available solar radiation and certainly have an effect on a garden as much as moon signs in my limited knowledge.)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
6:01 PM

Post #3698927

Ahhhh ... so the 28th is your B-Day? What fun that would be!! LOL

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3698956

Yup, Dusty and I will expect you at the tilling party...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3698979

Sorry Sweetpea, I am just about tilled out!! but if you send me your addy I'll mail you a bag of cow manure..LOL

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3699317

|Gosh, this was grocery/errand day, and I have missed a lot.

Thanks Dusty, and Darius, this is the kind of information that we need.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3699383

Well I gotta tell ya DCat...Us NDN's didnt know Capricorn from Leo... We just went by the waxing or waneing of the moon..So I wouldn't get too cotton picken picky here.. LOL
There are still a few of us surviving, so I guess we didn't do too badly...ROFL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3701067

Dusty, evidently you NDN's are sharper that we immigrants!!. Or may just listened to your elders better than we did.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3701081

curiosity, and certainly none of my business... what's your tribe?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3701243

I am Coharie...and I have a Great GrandMother who was stolen and integrated by the name of Octavia Panther..She was Eastern Band Tsalagi...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3701288

guess i need to do some research!

i have lakota and cherokee friends, and have actually sat in the main chickee in Big Cypress with Mike Osceola or maybe it was Jimmy, i forget which as my dad knew them both. for a small red headed girl child to sit up with the elders in the chickee was quite an honor.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
2:42 AM

Post #3701374

Hmmm ..
Seems there'd been several folks here on DG.com, that had shown interest in 'gardening by the signs' .. since some time ago! > http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/175331/ .. and, now; finally - it's been delivered!!

Interesting to note ..
. . . the Zodiac Signs (not constellations) for the moons place are used for astrological calculations to determine the best times to plant, best fishing, lucky days, and horoscopes, etc. * Since the Zodiac Signs were first used around the year 1300, the Signs have moved slowly backward along the path of the Sun approximately thirty degrees, which means that the Sign of Aries now contains the constellation Pisces and the Sign Taurus now contains the constellation Aries, etc. Most astronomical observers use the constellations, which can be readily calculated from the Signs by going backward one symbol.
(Yep, I'll admit: I gotta put that in the food-mill 'brain processor' a few extra times, these days!) .. lol ..

Also, along with the length of the particular growing season different folks may have (short, medium or long) - tis vital to remember to consider ones' local frost dates (first and last).

I'm sure that there are a multi-slew of varying factors that come into play for (global) implementation of gardening (and otherwise), 'by the signs'.

- Magpye

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3701395

Darius can you tell me a little more about "nature spirits"?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3701458

luvs, i just wrote a very long responsive thread and it went poof. machelle small wright wrote 2 books (garden workbooks) that explain nature spirits quite well. i think her site is www.perelandra-ltd.com.

i cannot possibly re-write what i tried to explain, and it's very tough for the average person to understand anyway without some background. i think that's why dusty gets it... she grew up with it.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3701529

That site wont open Darius... :-(

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3702099

Thanks darius, sounds very interesting. (If you type in the address it works)

And most people don't consider me average they consider me odd! LOL... I just may get it!! ♥
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3702563

there was a period after the dot com - try this Dusty
http://www.perelandra-ltd.com/
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3702568

Thanks Dovey... I finally got it to go last night..
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3702644

*smiles*
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 7, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3705861

Bonnie
Thanks for this great thread! :-) I have nothing to add, but sooo much to learn!

Dusty
Great info! I've bookmarked all those wonderful links and have completely lost track of the time! LOL
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3713211

Hi all,

Darius - you had mentioned a 'very good book" about gardening by the signs. Can you give us the Title and author
? I would like to get a copy.

Here is Pa. Many folks think that if you don't believe in the Almanac, you don't believe in the bible. Sounds odd, doesn't it? I guess it may have been the older folks "Bible" for planting and butchering and so forth. ( The Pa. Dutch)

I do use it for planting seeds and transplanting, and rotortilling, and harvesting, etc, etc. I like to live "in tune" with the natural circles.

I gather you have had surgery - sure hope you are feeling better.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #3714596

Raising With the Moon: The Complete Guide to Gardening and Living by the Signs of the Moon.
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Moon-Complete-Gardening-Living/dp/1887905367/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6019868-1951661?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183990552&sr=8-1

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3716791

Thank you Darius, got it! I really appreciate your taking the time to 'find' it and send a hyperlink.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM
I have a question about the Moon & deadheading roses dovey 13 Jul 15, 2007 6:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America