Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 13, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
quinceymax

July 5, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3696322

This spring I purchased, for the first time, a black eyed Susan vine. It was beautiful with little yellow flowers with black centers. It has done so good, until the past 2 weeks. The leaves have now began to fade and the bloom buds are dying before it blooms. Almost as if they are going to seed. I keep it on my front porch, which gets the morning sun and have kept it well watered. I live in WV and we have had some hot and humid days here lately. I have enjoyed this plant so much, can anyone tell me what might be wrong and what I might do? If you can help at all I'd appreciate it. Thanks. There are pictures following below.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 12:06 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3696560

My first guess would be overwatering, but if you could post a picture that might help figure out if it could be something else.
quinceymax

July 5, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3698517

I'm not so sure how well these turned out. It seems to be getting worse everyday. Any help appreciated greatly.

Thumbnail by quinceymax
Click the image for an enlarged view.

quinceymax

July 5, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #3698527

Here is a closer pic.

Thumbnail by quinceymax

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3698954

Liz is right, looks like too much moisture in the soil. Sometimes potting soil gets dense and loses it's ability to hold air, which is just as important as water, for the roots.

Also we grow your vine in the ground here. It stops flowering during the heat, humidity and long days of summer. That may be a factor for you also.

Take a close look at the soil, press on it with your fingers, lightly. Does it seem like the soil is still in good shape? Or is it dense & wet like a old sponge? If not in good shape you will need someone help you to add some lighter soil mix to the pot it is in. Takes two people.

Tip the pot on it's side, slide it out of the pot, with both hands keeping the rootball intact. You might have to smack the pot with an open hand or shake it a little. Have an extra pair of hands hold the pot while you work the rootball. Add some fine bark, vermiculite or something to the bottom of the pot to improve drainage. Take the rootball and crumble/remove a small amount of soil from the bottom of the rootball, about a inch or so. Then remove about 1/2 inch of soil from the sides. Place back in the pot and add fresh, high quaility potting mix, poking it in along the sides of the rootball. Look at the stem where it meets the 'ground' if it looks 'exposed' a mulch of fine bark on the top of the potting soil would be a good idea. Adding a generous amount of time release fertilizer to the pot will help too.

Hope this helps.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

quinceymax

July 5, 2007
7:16 PM

Post #3699134

Dale, I really appreciate your advise. It has been really hot and humid here. From what I can tell the soil feels ok, your plants are absolutely beautiful (thanks for the pic) that is how mine looked, only much smaller ;) utill recently. I have a spot in my backyard where I can put it in the ground w/partial shade. Do you think that would help?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #3699838

A plant in decline usually takes 2-4 months to recover.

This vine is usually an annual in your zone. I would plant it on something, let it climb and let it grow for the summer, in morning sun. It should recover and give you lots of flowers in the fall.

I have a white one that grows partially on a fence. I let it grow across the ground and when it roots I have cuttings to share.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

quinceymax

July 6, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #3701766

Dale, thanks so much for your help. Your pics of your plants are great!! I'm going to keep a close eye on mine and hope for the best. I do see some new growth on it today and the buds have changed over to seed pods. I hope it is just the weather, guess I should have checked for more info on this plant sooner, I just fell in love with it when I saw it and it didn't have a tag w/info, so I knew I was taking a chance. Thanks again.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3701787

For me, BESV reseeds easily.I usually leave it alone to do as it pleases. When the new seedlings come up, I move them to the trellis area or over to the mailbox. Once you have them, you'll always have them. So cheery, aren't they?
tangiegirl
Chester County, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3706705

I'm in SE PA and depending where in WV you are, our weather should be similiar. This was taken about 3 weeks ago...it's filled in quite a bit since then and is still blooming well. Mine gets a little bit of morning shade but full sun all afternoon. The pansies, snaps and marigolds it is planted with all seem pretty happy. I water about twice a week if MN doesn't do it for me

Thumbnail by tangiegirl

tangiegirl
Chester County, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3706726

And here is the same planting, picture taken a few minutes ago.

Mine self sow like crazy here, too. I do so love an easy keeper!

Thumbnail by tangiegirl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 8, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3712172

Whoooow here in Australia we spend our lives trying to pull those darn things out they are very invasive here (guess it is the climate!)
so that should give you a good clue...don't be too kind to it ...it thrives on neglect.They sure look pretty in your gardens ...over here they strangle everything and self seed in such abundance you can never get rid of them...know I know why that English visitor was in raptures over them ...they can't grow them without a lot of trouble...too cold I guess.Have fun with them just don't be too kind.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3712185

roots probably need shaded or mulched
tbaran
Dushore, PA

July 10, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3718718

Where did you get this black-eyed susan vine? I have never seen one but would love to have one!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America