Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gardening by the Moon: Here's what I'd started last year ..

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 24, Views: 457
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3698019

And far from being 'poppy-cock' ..
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/585513/

The “Twelve Signs of the Zodiac” you hear spoken of so often .. are the signs of the twelve constellations which are located in the Zodiac: an imaginary line drawn through the sky of a width to indicate these groups of stars which determine man’s character at his birth and influence him all through life.

The part of our body governed by a particular constellation is supposed to be more sensitive when the moon is in that constellation.

People with heart trouble will have the most difficulty when the moon is in the sign Leo, and lovers are more successful at this time.

Tubercular patients are in greatest danger in the sign Cancer, etc.

You can easily follow out the idea for yourself with the rest of the constellations.

Dig root crops for seed in the third quarter of the moon. They will keep longer and are usually drier and better.

Grain intended for future use or seed .. should be harvested at the increase of the moon.

Timber cut in the old of the moon will not become worm eaten nor snap in burning; and fence posts set in the old of the moon will not ‘heave’ out.

Fruits and vegetables gathered just before the Full Moon in the second quarter will usually stand shipment much better than others.

The names of the week days are another expression of the astrological teachings of the ancients. Centuries of observation had convinced them that each day of the week is ruled over by a certain planet, and so they named the day in honor of its’ ruling planet. It is not so apparent what the names mean in our language, which comes from the Anglo-Saxon tongue - as it is in the French language (which comes from Latin) .. the same language in which the planets are named.

Monday is the Moon’s day
Tuesday, or Mardi, is Mars’ day
Wednesday, or Mercedi, is Mercury’s day;
Thursday, or Jeudi, is Jupiter’s day
Friday, or Vendredi, is Venus’ day
Saturday is Saturn’s day .. and
Sunday is the Sun’s day.

Thus, if you wish to do anything which requires the sun’s aid alone .. such as destroying germs in bedding from a sick room: Sunday is the day to put it out to sun.

Friday, being Venus’ day, is the best day for proposals of marriage.

Tuesday, being presided over by Mars, is the best day for any new undertaking.

To quit any habit successfully .. you must begin to leave off on the second day that the moon is in the sign of Sagittarius (the archer).

Astrologers have found, that if you cut your hair or trim your beard in the sign of Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius or Pisces .. it will grow thicker, stronger, and more beautiful.

It has always been considered good to purge with pills when the moon is in the sign of Pisces .. and with liquids when it is in the sign of Virgo or Sagittarius.

The sign the moon is in at a child’s birth, astrologers say .. determines the character and fortune in life.

It is said to be lucky for a male child to be born under the masculine sign, but it is considered unlucky for a female child to be born under any other than a feminine sign.

Pick apples and pears in the old of the moon and the bruised spots will dry up, where if they are picked in the new moon the spots will rot.

Harvest all crops when the moon is growing old - they will keep better and longer.

When the moon is in the barren signs: Gemini, Leo or Virgo .. you can destroy noxious growth, deaden trees, pull weeds and turn sod best - - especially if the moon is in the last quarter.

Planting is best done in the signs of Scorpio, Pisces, Taurus, or Cancer - - all fruitful signs. In addition, astrologers aver it is best to plant all things which yield above ground in the increase of the moon: and all things which yield below the ground, when the moon is decreasing.

As the Zodiacal sign, Libra, represents beauty in form and color, being also an airy sign - - it is considered the best for flowers. The seeds should be planted in the first quarters of the moon, unless seeds from the plant are desired; in which case, use the period between the second quarter and full moon.

… First Quarter …

During the first quarter of the moon, plant the following:
Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Barley, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumbers, Corn, Cress, Endive, Kohl Rabi, Lettuce, Leek, Oats, Parsley, Onions, Spinach and seeds of flowering plants.

Avoid the first day of the New Moon for planting, also the days on which it changes quarters.

For example: you wish to know when it is advisable to paint your house or automobile, run down the column headed “Moon’s Signs” until you come to the sign for Aries or Leo. They are both dry signs and your work will dry quicker than in moist or watery signs, such as Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces.

If a person is ailing in some part of the body, say the throat; when the moon comes around to the sign which rules that organ .. it will be very much more sensitive, and an operation performed on the throat in this sign (Taurus), will probably be less successful (less likely to heal as quickly or properly).

Astrologers state you can tell what the sex of a child will be by finding out whether the moon will be in a masculine or feminine sign at its birth.

… Second Quarter …

During the second quarter of the moon, plant:
Beans, Egg Plant, Muskmelon, Peas, Pepper, Pumpkin, Squash, Tomatoes, and Watermelon.

When possible .. plant seed while the moon is in the fruitful signs of Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces. The next best signs are Taurus and Capricorn.

… Third Quarter …

During the third quarter of the moon, plant the following:
Artichoke, Beets, Carrots, Chicory, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Rutabaga, Turnip and all bulbous flowering plants.

… Fourth Quarter …

During the fourth quarter of the moon - - turn sod, pull weeds and destroy noxious growths, especially when the moon is in the barren signs: Gemini, Leo or Virgo.

… More tidbits …

Children born under the sign Cancer will have keen and searching minds, will be heroic and pure in morals, even to the point of austerity, and be quick and clever in business matters.

Children born under the sign of Leo, according to Ptolemy of Pelusa, surnamed King of Astrologers .. will reach positions of honor and trust. They will have a lofty mind, a spirit of fair play, dignity and firm will. They will be steadfast and brilliant, but egotistical and presumptuous, but never lacking in gratitude.

Thus if a child is to be born under the sign of Libra .. it will very likely be a boy; if under Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces .. it will most likely be a girl.

To wean a child with greatest ease and success, do so when the moon is in the signs of the Zodiac which do not rule the vital organs of the body, such as Capricorn, Pisces or Sagittarius.

.. The Twelve Signs of the Zodiac .. & their anatomical associations …

The Ram (Aries) .. the head and face
* Fiery, dry, barren, masculine …

The Twins (Gemini) .. the arms
* Airy, dry, barren, masculine …

The Lion (Leo) .. the heart
* Fiery, barren and dry, masculine …

The Balance (Libra) .. the loins
* Airy, moist, semi-fruitful, masculine …

The Archer (Sagittarius) .. the thighs
* Fiery, dry, barren, masculine …

The Waterman (Aquarius) .. the legs
* Airy, dry, barren, masculine ..

The Fishes (Pisces) .. the feet
* Watery, fruitful, feminine …

The Bull (Taurus) .. the neck
* Earthy, moist, productive, feminine …

The Crab (Cancer) .. the breast
* Watery, very fruitful, feminine …

The Virgin (Virgo) .. the bowel
* Earthy, dry or barren, feminine …

The Scorpion (Scorpio) .. the groin
* Watery, fruitful, feminine …

The Goat (Capricornus) .. the knee
* Earthy, moist, somewhat productive, feminine …

.. More ..

Transplanting and grafting success is better under a Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces Moon.

Pruning .. while an Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius Moon.

Capricorn .. is best for constructing garden beds.

- Magpye
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3698143

With some of the almanacs (& websites), they've already done the 'work' .. and will provide the applicable planting & gardening dates to use/focus on.

Altho' it doesn't happen frequently, but there will be minor mistakes found with the applied interpretation of the astrological signs and lunar phases.

- Magpye

Here's, the planting & gardening 'calendar' for 2007 *

Thumbnail by Magpye
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3698180

Just a note on who rules the days (and I'm NOT disagreeing with you, by the way) the germanic or scandinavian diety names became the English names for weekdays. I suspect their aspects are pretty much the same as you explained:

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday being the same, Tuesday is named for Tyr, Wednesday for Woden (Odin), Thursday for Thor, and Friday for Freya.

Just interesting, I thought.

(Viking/Celtic heritage, if you hadn't guessed...)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3698905

Thanks for that Magpye - and brigidlily
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3698917

So you had it all in a thread last year that I didn't find :( Great info thanks
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #3699028

Interesting, but it still seems confusing to me.
You are so organized, I'm impressed.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3700992

From .. The Farmers Almanac

July 2007

1 Good days for planting beets, carrots, salsify, Irish potatoes and other root crops.

2-3 Good days for killing weeds, briars and other plant pests. Poor for planting.

4-5 Good days for planting beets, carrots, radishes, salsify, turnips, peanuts and other root crops. Also good for planting melons, cucumbers, pumpkins and other vine crops. Set strawberry plants.

6-7 A barren period.

8-9 Root crops that can be planted now will yield well.

10-11-12 Poor day for planting, seeds tend to rot in ground.

13-14 First days is a most fruitful day to plant root crops. Second day is favorable for corn, cotton okra, beans, peppers, eggplant and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens on both days.

15-16-17-18-19 A most barren period. Kill plant pests and do general farm work.

20-21-22 Favorable for planting peas, beans, tomatoes and other fall crops bearing aboveground. Sow grains and forage crops. Plant flowers.

23-24 Extra good for fall cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, mustard greens and other leafy vegetables. Good for any aboveground crop that can be planted now. Start seedbeds.

25-26 Seeds planted now will do poorly and yield little.

27-28 Any aboveground crops that can be planted now will do well.

29-30 Good days for killing weeds, briars and other plant pests. Poor for planting.

31 Good days for planting beets, carrots, radishes, salsify, turnips, peanuts and other root crops. Also good for planting melons, cucumbers, pumpkins and other vine crops. Set strawberry plants.

August 2007

1 Favorable day for planting root crops, fine for vine crops.

2-3 Barren days, do no planting.

4-5-6 Root crops that can be planted now will yield well.

7-8 Any seed planted now will tend to rot.

9-10 Most favorable days for planting beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

11-12-13-14-15 A barren time. Best for killing weeds, briars, poison ivy and other plant pests. Clear woodlots and fencerows.

16-17-18 Good days for planting aboveground crops. Excellent for sowing grains, winter wheat, oats and rye. Plant flowers.

19-20 Plant peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers and other aboveground crops in southern Florida, California and Texas. Extra good for leafy vegetables. Plant seedbeds.

21-22-23 Cut winter wood, do clearing and plowing, but no planting.

24-25 A good time to plant aboveground crops.

26-27 Barren days. Fine for killing plant pests.

28-29 Favorable days for planting root crops, fine for vine crops.

30-31 Barren days, do no planting.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

July 6, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3701009

Hmmmm...I was gonna plant some seeds tomorrow...does this count for indoor sowing as well do you think????? ackkk
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3701174

More info .. (from the The Ladies Birthday Almanac)

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3701220

Now .. ^ that ^ was a concern that had me puzzled for centuries.
(welllll, sometimes seems like it's been that long) .. lol

Altho' I can't pull up the data in my ol brain as readily anymore - but I'm relatively certain that it's applicable for either scenario (indoor sowing and in-ground).

There is usually a 2nd best/favorable time/date to fall back on. From the info in the image above ..
Quoting:If it's not convenient - choose/plant (in the order mentioned) .. under Taurus, Capricorn, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius and Aries.

Meaning .. Taurus would be the ultimately better sign than say, Aries.

- Magpye
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #3701268

It isn't the 'who' - it's which planet - that is considered to 'rule' the day of the week.
And from what I've taken a gander of .. it's pretty much been a mutual agreement since. (heehee)

But, yes ma'am .. it is very interesting, brigidlily.

Origin of the names of the days .. (from this website > http://www.pantheon.org/miscellaneous/origin_days.html )
I may've mistakenly been associating Norse, Anglo-Saxon, Viking, and Celtic as essentially being one-in-the-same, or, with minor distinction between ...

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 6, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3701636

Does anyone know if this info would be pertinent to container plants? I have always treated it as such, but was never really sure, since they never touch the water table.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #3718472

Yes, applies to in-ground and container grown.
((Sorry, Shari))

- Magpye
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 10, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3720312

Sorry???? Why???? Thank you for answering! :-)
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3721344

(hee)
For the lapse of practically 5 days, before any answer was posted ..

- Magpye
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3721349

No worries! Been a busy time for me too! I just love this forum, been reading my little heart out!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3722274

magpye wrote
>>10-11-12 Poor day for planting, seeds tend to rot in ground.

great -- i did some seeds today since we were expecting rain.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3724597

think positive - maybe they will be fine! And, I guess we need to check in here every morning!!! OM gosh!!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3724652

my seeds were totally hit or miss this year... some did great, while others - like marigolds, which i had thousands of seeds... i got about 6 to germinate. [maybe they were bad seeds] ... but same for my neighbor... last year we had tons of marigolds, we both collected seeds, and fizzle.

some of the ones i did yesterday, before the rain... i did put some compost in there too... so i'm hoping for the best.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3739224

Additional gardening, etc. 'dates' that may come in handy ..

- Magpye

For the remainder of July and the entire month of August of '07.

Thumbnail by Magpye

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #3739231

For the months of September & October of '07.

Thumbnail by Magpye

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3739239

For the months of November & December of '07.

* And naturally, if your first frost date/s fit in here somewhere .. welllll, I hope folks pretty much know what not to do). .. lol ..

Thumbnail by Magpye

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 15, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3739319

Hi,
This is so interesting! How do I tell what sign the moon is in daily? If it goes throu all the signs in 28 days, is there a chart for that somewhere? Thanks.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3742148

Get a Farmer's Almanac. It's very specific.
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #3761380

mag pye
wow you sure know how to explain this well. I am really loving this forum.

I have a question. One of the headings says just flowers? what does that mean, planting flowers that are from seed or transplanting starts?

steph

If I plant some seeds tomorow I should have sucess right?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
I have a question about the Moon & deadheading roses dovey 13 Jul 15, 2007 6:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America