Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: I have a question about the Moon & deadheading roses

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 13, Views: 211
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3702477

I have well over 100 roses in my garden, when they are in full bloom flush I deadhead every few days.
Is there a better time to deadhead, should I be putting it off until the waning moon?

Thumbnail by dovey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3702565

Dovey..
I honestly don't think that deadheading is as much an issue as pruning which should always be done during the waneing moon..and the 4th quarter is best.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3702643

Thank you Dusty, that eases things up a bit.
Deadhead when needed - prune during the waning moon.

What about transplanting?
I've been digging up special plants all willy-nilly when I could find the time and putting them in pots to move with me.

Is it moon more important when I replant them in our new garden or both equally important?

You're a fantastic wealth of moon knowledge and I really appreciate it.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #3702699

I agree with DustyDS .. about the none-issue of deadheading your roses, Dovey ..
Especially considering that you are (most likely) desiring to maintain the beauty of the bushes along with extending the bloom time.

However, were you to contemplate allowing any (qualifying) plants to develop the hips/and go to seed (for gathering) .. it may would be a concern; I'm just not absolutely sure.

There are exceptions to every rule of thumb - including the green ones! (heehee)

Some beautiful roses ..

- Magpye
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3702710

Dig on the wane, and plant on the wax.. they are both very important...and yes, this does affect containers, and planting seedlings...It has nothing to do with whether they are in the ground or not...
Especially if gardens are not established well, you will find that you will need to water more during the wane of the moon because the tides are pulling the moisture down...
Between now and the 13th is the best time for you to dig and prune...Drop the packing, and dig like crazy now...Your next time won't be until Aug 6th -10th, and you will be moving shortly after that, so now would be best to get them settled in their pots before you stress them with the trip...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3702718

Magpye,
I usually stop deadheading around the end of September to notify the rose it's time to slow down and to allow winter hips to form.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3702739

OK... between now and the13th - got it.
Matt will be on leave starting tomorrow, I guess we better get 'er done! because we will be on the by the August dates.

Alrighty then, I'll grab one more cup of coffee and get my body in gear.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #3702778

Just remember sweetie...You are moving them to Zone 5-6...September will still be warm here, but it wont be long after and it will be mighty cold, so prune ruthlessly this year to give them the best chance you can to set new roots...

steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 7, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3706908

whats a waning moon?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3707376

Hey Steph
After the Full Moon, it will start to fade until you can't see any moon at all.
The fading moon is the Waning Moon
The day the moon is totally dark is called the New Moon
After the dark (New) Moon, it will start to grow and that's called the Waxing Moon.
There are 4 phases
Full Moon
Waning Moon
New Moon
Waxing Moon

Cheers
Dove

http://starryskies.com/The_sky/events/lunar-2003/phases.gif
(Edited to add a link to a phone phase photo)

This message was edited Jul 7, 2007 9:51 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3707418

Here is one too .. If it comes out okay...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3710333

I love the moon talk! Is the moon stuff 'facts', like Farmer's Almanac or other source, or simply observations and, or what works for you?? I grew up with Moon Talk, like, if the moon is tilted a certain way, it will rain, and other 'farm' facts, like if the cows/horses are laying down, it will rain, if you have a herd of 10 cows, and two are laying down, there's a small chance of rain, if all are laying down but 2, you will need an umbrella. I think I'm going to like this forum...
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3711118

wow this is really cool. But in nature, seeds are falling all the time. How do they prove this method... And were did it originate from?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3739206

I think it just evolved over centuries and through observation. People say it's something in the lunar light or gravity affects the way plants grow.
I did read a little about it on this site... might want to take a look here
http://www.plantea.com/planting-moon-phases.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America