Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Fruits: Coconut palm looking pathetic

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 4, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnaM149
Casselberry, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3709079

Hello all,

My poor coconut palm has been around for some 2 years. The first pic shows it about a year and a half ago. When I get the next one, it will be as of tomorrow. :)
As you can see, it has yellowed considerably. However, the fronds are not dead or brown. I gave it some fertilizer about 2 months ago and now it seems to have greened up a little. So, I just don't know. Do I yank it due to Lethal Yellowing or actually feed it and on a good timetable? It still sends up new shoots, they are usually green and no deformity in the leaf structure. Help me help it. Pretty please!
Ana

Thumbnail by AnaM149
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AnaM149
Casselberry, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #3712296

Ok, so I go look and there is some new growth that is sorta green and the midribs are all yellow. I did notice that the tips were brown and dried. I tried to pull on them and the other fronds, but none were coming off the trunk. My poor, poor coco.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

April 5, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #4762235

There's nothing wrong with it. It's supposed to be colored that way. It's likely a Dwarf Golden Malayan Coconut. They flower and fruit when just a few years old. The coconuts are yellow also. When all of the coconuts died in Florida in the 1970's from lethal yellowing, this was the only one that would grow and be resistant to the disease. Now they're used in crossbreeding.
lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #4786397

I think it looks awesome! I love that yellow color.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

April 23, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4852011

Coconut trees grow so slowly. This one might be ten-twelve years old. They come in green, green-gold, and golden. I think there's even one more orange colored, but not sure. Don't look too closely, their fronds are usually speckled with bug bites.

I am so lucky to see this tree out my window!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America