Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Organic Gardening: organic feeding without water

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3715816

I usually use hasta grow to feed all my plants. Love what happens when I use it. BUT ... no way anything in my yard needs more water! But they are looking like with ALL the water they have gotten that they are missing something. Especially the flowers... I have loads of leaves on everything but not much has flowered like it usually does. I know some of the reason is heat (we haven't had what we usually do by now) but I have also usually fed stuff a couple of times by now and with all the water I have't fed at all this season.

Any ideas?
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3729813

How about throwing some alfalfa pellets down around your plants?
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3730224

thank you. I hadn't thought about that.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2007
6:33 AM

Post #3730551

sometimes excessive rain interferes with the plants taking up nutrients, and they look like they have a nutrient deficiency. when the water levels return to normal so will the plants
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2007
10:16 AM

Post #3730648

In sandy soil, nutrients can certainly get washed away quickly. A quick foliar feed like fish emulsion (diluted!) can help. I think the alfalfa pellets are a good idea too; but you also want something for potash (like wood ash) and phosphorus (side dressing w/ rock phosphate, maybe). In my heavy clay, nutrients stay around forever.

But I agree w/ Len123 that giving the plant time to recover first is the best course.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America