Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Rookie beekeeper (17 yrs old) needs a lot of help

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 11, Views: 234
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cstritt89
Newton, NJ

July 9, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3716401

I'm 17 years old, and just started keeping bees. My Grandpa did it before me and tried to teach how to keep bees, But before my training had finished, he passed away. So now i have a hive and a problem.
I've been checking in on the bees once a week, because it's a new herd (that's what i'll call them because i don't know the actual term), and i noticed that the bees are staying on the same three frames. Now this has been going on for almost a month so i decided to make a larger time interval before checking in on them. So after about 3 weeks i checked them again and they're still on those same three frames. Is this normal? If not what can i do to help? Should i be worried?
I know the queen is there because when i checked them yesterday, i could see eggs (which were hard to find) and larvae (again, i think that's what they're called). I even saw a young bee eating its way out of it's cap which was really exciting to see. But i don't know what i should do. PLEASE HELP!!
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #3727378

First of all -- kudos for wanting to keep the hive alive and functioning. That said, I have no experience with which I could directly help. But -- try calling your County Extension Agent (in the phone book's government section). These folks are connected to the state's agricultural colleges and know a lot about a lot of stuff. If they can't help, they may know who to refer you to. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. jo
Charlotteda
Pickens, SC
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3735253

Below is a link to a forum with a wealth of info on just beekeeping ...it might help

http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3737069

Does your state require registry of the hive? Illinois does. But then you can request a hive inspection & get advice from the inspector.
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2007
5:18 AM

Post #3745161

Be careful when removing the frames. You could easily kill the queen. The bees are doing just fine. Because it is such a young (new) hive they are busy making new babies. Just don't open them so often and never ever in cold or wet weather. The bees will maintain a constant temp. in the hive and by opening the box when it is not necessary the temp will drop and it costs them more energy to get the temp back at which they thrive. Watch them going in. Their pollen baskets should be full. Do not harvest any honey from them this yr. as they will need all they can get for the winter. Also you may have to get a feeder for the winter time to put on the top inside of the box and keep it filled with sugar water. Sometimes my husband has to do that with his hives. Good luck. LIZ
taramisu
Maple Park, IL

May 31, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5029535

"Does your state require registry of the hive? Illinois does."

Really? Why is that?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5031859

To track disease vectors, I would imagine.
I like it because I get a free inspection out of it every year.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5032273

>>"Does your state require registry of the hive? Illinois does."

>>Really? Why is that?

You will also find that most apiary inspectors are eager to help when you have questions.
He,or she,is a good person to know.
As LC2sgarden said,stay out of the hive.Watch the landing board and if you see loads of pollen going in then your queen is fine.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2008
10:36 PM

Post #5032369

Plus, now that I'm registered, I get notices of bee-related events in my area, which comes in handy because I don't belong to any groups.
gpowell
Siloam Springs, AR
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5036745

You need to look into joining the New Jersey Beekeepers association. They have classes and experts to help beginners.

The United States Department of Agriculture has a Home and Garden Bulletin Number 158 " Beekeeping for Beginners" It can now be downloaded from website http://www.msue.msu.edu/portal/

Search on Beekeeping for Beginners and you will find 2 publications that you can download and print.

You also might think of buying a little book from Dadant Publications called "First Lessons in Beekeeping" Its an old paperback publication but Amazon.com sometimes has used ones for about $6 including shipping. It was first published in 1917 but has been updated as late as 2007. Try and get one of the newer ones, 1997 or so. Cost less and covers the later diseases. This has been the beekeepers bible since it came out in 1917.

You can always go directly to the Dadant catalog and order their latest version.
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=932

It is $8.95 plus shipping.

Check to see if your local library has a copy.

good Luck
sudhira
Aptos, CA

June 25, 2008
12:29 AM

Post #5154769

Also:

www.beemaster.com
organic beekeeper group on yahoo groups
clgs1
Kennett Square, PA

September 8, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5525055

I know this post is months after you asked for help - but when I first started a beekeeper advised me to feed feed feed new bees to help them get established. Feeding was just mixing up equal parts sugar and water. I bought a feeder that mounted in the entrance to the hive from a bee equipment catalogue.
I hope your hive grew this summer. If in doubt about their stores for winter - feed feed feed.
Then, next season, you'll have a stronger hive with their comb drawn out and the ability to devote all their time to honey production!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America