Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: why aren't there any flowers on my garden phlox??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2007
6:46 AM

Post #3717862

I have about 5 garden phlox, orange perfection and tenor(red), the leaves look great they are all about 3 1/2' tall but no flowers or flower buds. They are located in part sun, (afternoon sun) they do not look wilted at all. They are 2 years old. Any ideas??
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 10, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #3720468

Hi Flowerjen, not sure if these phlox are perennial or annuals, but you say these are about 2 years old, so assume perennials, did they flower last year, if so, can you remember when, cant see the position being a prob, though I usually have them in full sun, if they are healthy in every other way, maybe a feed will help them, also you say they dont look wilted gives the impresion that they just might be suffering from lack of water, most perennials need a good drink and feed,as they use a good deal of energy to get through the winter, start into leaf and produce flowers for the summer season, I have some here in UK and they are not in flower as yet, but we have had quite a cool summer along with a lot of rain so I am keeping my eye on them for mould rather than no flowers yet, hope this helps and maybe someone else will come into the thread who can advise you better than I. good luck, Weenel.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3722411

They are perennials, no, they didn't flower last year. I figured the first year they might not but for sure they should have this year. They get the hot afternoon sun from 1-3pm and are NOT wilting, I keep them watered. Everything else in that garden is doing fine.I can not figure it out.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 14, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #3735539

As they did not flower last year, like you, I would have said maybe just needing time to bulk up for next year, but this has not happened, so, if they are well watered, then maybe you need to look at the soil condition, as yellowing of the leaves also indicate soil problems, some plants need different neutrients to others and we need to add thing like blood/fish/bonemeal where others need a bit of lime, others are happy to just get some compost, so look up the care needs for your particular phlox to make sure they are getting what is required from your type of soil, if not, then either move them or add whatever they lack, it takes time to get the plants needs sorted, especially in a mixed border as we sometimes assume that if some plants are happy, they all should be, but this is not always the case, Like I have no good results from Carnations as they like a lime soil but mine is too acidic, maybe your the same with Phlox, wish I could help further, but try find out what they need incase it is as simple as that, Good luck, WeeNel.
daphnecat
Mays Landing, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3736707

I live slighty south of you flowerjen and my phlox (Nicky) has been blooming for almost a month. Orange Perfection has buds about to open. If they are only getting 2 hours of sun, I think you need to move them to a sunnier location.
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3739143

Hi flowerjen,
The problem might be not enough sun. I planted some David phlox last year in a partly sunny spot. Only one out of the 3 had flowers, and they were pretty puny. This spring I moved them to a very sunny location and they all went gangbusters with big beautiful blooms. David is pretty easy to grow; yours might be more particular as to growing conditions. I would try more sun.
Sharon

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3741085

Ok, I guess I'll move them. Which is actually not a very far move. They are currently located in the long section of my upside down "L" shaped garden on the side of my house, the short section receives all the sun. Now I need to buy something to fill the spot that they are in. Oh, goodie!!! :)
daphnecat
Mays Landing, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3744040

That's what I love about gardening. There's always a reason to get more plants!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America