Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Will using my tablesaw to cut PVC pipe ruin the blade?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 9, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3721186

My father-in-law wants to use my tablesaw to "rip" a piece of PVC in half. Will this mess up the blade? I can use either my plywood blade or a more aggressive blade, if that makes a difference.

thanks,

Scott
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3721249

No prob, but it stinks really bad. Probably not good to breathe, I don't know.
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #3723070

I'd suggest the plywood blade, tho...pvc can 'shred' if the blade is too aggressive or turning too slowly - like with a cordless saw with a dying battery...(yes, you hear experience here). But, no, pvc I think is probably EASIER on blades than wood...I know when we were doing the plumbing on our house, we just kept the chop saw set up for quick, 2-second pipe cuts and never needed another blade. ;-)
Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 11, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #3723733

Thanks for the input.

Scott

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 16, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3740890

I was cutting off some PVC pipe the other day. I was in a hurry & the blade caught somehow. $40 blade was bent! This was on a miter saw.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3740904

You don't want to use a rough cut blade. A fine cut blade will work fine without ruining the blade.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 16, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3742806

A former boss of mine had a great saying, "Slow down! We are in a hurry!"

Bill
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4238472

Not sure its worth the trouble unless you are cutting a lot, but you can reverse the blade, using back side. If you try cutting too fast, sometimes a little spur will be left on pipe.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #4465824

So what is the best thing to cut PVC pipe with?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 28, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #4465902

I have a couple of PVC Cutters. They work like a one blade shear with a curved anvil to hold the PVC pipe. Works on pipe up to 1.5 inches.

If you are cutting pipe bigger than that, sawing may be best.

I used a jig saw when I made the freeze cover for the water supply pipe into the house. Found a scrap 6" pipe about 4 ft long, and another 4" pipe over a foot long.

Used my B & D Workmate to hold the pipe, then cut 2" strip from each after cutting to proper length. Held everything in place around the supply line and hose bibb with duct tape and filled with expanding foam - never froze again. Painted to match the brick. Looks better than the bare galvanized pipe coming up out of the driveway into the house, and a WHOLE LOT better than some of the neighboors rag-wrapped pipes. About 4-5 times the insulation of the foam pipewraps sold by the big-box and plumbing stores.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America