Will using my tablesaw to cut PVC pipe ruin the blade?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My father-in-law wants to use my tablesaw to "rip" a piece of PVC in half. Will this mess up the blade? I can use either my plywood blade or a more aggressive blade, if that makes a difference.

thanks,

Scott

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

No prob, but it stinks really bad. Probably not good to breathe, I don't know.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

I'd suggest the plywood blade, tho...pvc can 'shred' if the blade is too aggressive or turning too slowly - like with a cordless saw with a dying battery....(yes, you hear experience here). But, no, pvc I think is probably EASIER on blades than wood...I know when we were doing the plumbing on our house, we just kept the chop saw set up for quick, 2-second pipe cuts and never needed another blade. ;-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the input.

Scott

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I was cutting off some PVC pipe the other day. I was in a hurry & the blade caught somehow. $40 blade was bent! This was on a miter saw.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You don't want to use a rough cut blade. A fine cut blade will work fine without ruining the blade.

Missouri City, TX

A former boss of mine had a great saying, "Slow down! We are in a hurry!"

Bill

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Not sure its worth the trouble unless you are cutting a lot, but you can reverse the blade, using back side. If you try cutting too fast, sometimes a little spur will be left on pipe.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

So what is the best thing to cut PVC pipe with?

Missouri City, TX

I have a couple of PVC Cutters. They work like a one blade shear with a curved anvil to hold the PVC pipe. Works on pipe up to 1.5 inches.

If you are cutting pipe bigger than that, sawing may be best.

I used a jig saw when I made the freeze cover for the water supply pipe into the house. Found a scrap 6" pipe about 4 ft long, and another 4" pipe over a foot long.

Used my B & D Workmate to hold the pipe, then cut 2" strip from each after cutting to proper length. Held everything in place around the supply line and hose bibb with duct tape and filled with expanding foam - never froze again. Painted to match the brick. Looks better than the bare galvanized pipe coming up out of the driveway into the house, and a WHOLE LOT better than some of the neighboors rag-wrapped pipes. About 4-5 times the insulation of the foam pipewraps sold by the big-box and plumbing stores.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.