Not a bad day at the creek!

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Here are a couple of "rocks" from the creek this week. Hope today is as good!

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Bill,
What's that worth appx.?

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

At the current price of gold and for the gold value alone around $200-- $250. To a collector somewhat more. A lot I hope! :o)

Bill

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I bet it's a thrill every time you find those babies.

Lakeland, FL

That is beautiful.

I'd give 140 dollars for it right now.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

LOL! I bet you would. Yes, it's a thrill. A lot of work and expense for small pay most of the time but we prospectors are required to be born optimists. Only a couple of small pickers in the box today--Oh well, there is always tomorrow..... :o)

Bill

Commerce, TX(Zone 7b)

Great posting Bill !!!! Glad to see you still living my dream....lol.! Good Luck today and everyday.

Jerry

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Thancks Jerry. Come on up!

Bill

Commerce, TX(Zone 7b)

You are killing me. I would love to. You really are living my dream and I am not afraid of hard work, so don't make that offer too many times....lol Good Luck as you go for the Gold... Jerry

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Bill,

I just love gold in that form. When we moved up here on the Mogollon Rim, they said there's no gold up here. I don't believe it! My Grandpa mined his quartz claim in Los Burros Mining District, and to me Quartz with gold is the prettiest. I still have a few pieces of gold that I helped him pan in the little pool above the cabin. He passed away in 1950, at age 79, just 3 days after digging for gold in his latest tunnel.

Here's what we have up here, ALL kinds of quartz in our rocks.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Ooops, been told that's probably calcite. Ever find gold in calcite?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, sweet!

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Here's some more to whet your appetite!

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I find lots of pyrite here in NM. How does one know when the shiny stuff you find is really gold?

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Gold sinks to the bottom of the pan, Fool's Gold will kinda float. Haven't had our gold pan out in 15 years.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey Bill, is that your birthday find?

On another note, gold will flatten when struck with a hammer, pyrite will shatter.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

That was the last week of last year's season. We can't get back in the water until May. Hope it is as good when we start again!

Just a note about hitting a nugget with the hammer--Don't do it too hard an wreck the nugget. Just takes a tap as pyrite is very brittle.

Dahlonega, GA

You can tell gold by putting the piece in your hand and shading it . If the shine fades out , it's not gold . If the shine is still there , send it to me and I'll tell you if it's real . lol digger

Keaau, HI

Impressive!

Which way to California?

Dahlonega, GA

Or Georgia ?A coupla examples of some small stuff about 22-23% pure .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Pretty fuzzy , but you get the picture .
Some flakes and dust .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Keaau, HI

Nice display Digger!

Dahlonega, GA

Would love to get to Ca . and some of the gold out there .
Here in Ga. all the property is private and the landowners own the mineral rights . They don't want the gold and don't want anyone else to have it .If they want it , they are "saving it for the grandkids" . You usually have to either get a lease or permission .Very few places you can get on public land .

Dahlonega, GA

Thank you . Those are different types of ways you find it here , in white quartz milky quartz . In between layers of rock , wire looks like backbone to me .Some of it has smokey quartz in it . I don't care , I like it all .

Dahlonega, GA

bump

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

digger9083: Whatcha gonna do with it.? Ya just save it and display it? I Love gold and diamonds, actually that thing that sparkles, except for golitter. I detest glitter!!. I'd have that melted down and the biggest gold necklace! I'd look like a rapper!. Uh, no offense to the rappers on DG.

Dahlonega, GA

I have never sold any of it . I keep it in a 890lb safe , with other papers .Birth certificate, that kind of stuff

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

To sell gold as a specimen to a mineral collector, be sure to keep track of the location where it was found. If you are just going to sell it for melting down, that doesn't matter. Specimen collectors like to have accurate location data.

Dahlonega, GA

This is all small . The biggest I got was just under 1/2 ounce and I had a bale put on it for a necklace. I won't be selling any of it, both my grandkids have dredged and will appreciate it when I'm gone .It has been kept separate . The gold in georgia runs almost pure and is a rich pumpkin color . It just looks different than Alaska gold and California gold . We don't have copper or silver in this area ,so don't get the red or light color like from other states . It runs 211/2 / 23 cts . Not enough platinum here to worry about mix.
Be nice to get into platinum deposits .We can find gold in quartz in small jewelery quality , but it's mostly from tailing deposits from long ago .We have a lot of old mines here and they are all on private property . Serious mistake to enter any of them .

Dahlonega, GA

Rockminer , Will you prospect again this year ? How does the "no dredging " laws restrict your recovery ? Show us some more of the beauties .
We're going to play on the Arkansas in Colorado this July . Hopefully , we'll get some of the fines, sure takes a lot of it to add up . Digger

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Digger,

I'm still working--a trommel operation--and yes the dredge moratorium is killing me. Are you at Loud mine? Here's another sample of the good stuff...

Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

wow! nice nuggets

Dahlonega, GA

I live about three miles from the Loud .
D H works in the summer , but will completely retire July 1st . First real vacation in ten years .We'll meet Ranponder,(Russ) , off the strawbale forum and his D W for some camping on the Arkansas. Russ is like us , getting old and it's something he always dreamed of , prospecting. We'll teach him what we can and send him home with a little color . We're taking a 4" dredge . Wanted to take my 3" highbanker combo too but not enough room to carry everthing .
I sure want to get into some of that Calif gold but would have to contact some of the GPAA reps to find out the particulars on what areas are producing and would want to camp out . Maybe next year .
That is some pretty stuff you have , love the quartz .
Have you been to the Loud ? Could be we know each other . I only go over anymore to visit with friends I've made over the years when they have the outings . And to load rocks for my yard before they shove them back into the ponds .I don't really need my LDMA membership any more, ought to pass it on .
Did you make your trommel or buy one ? I got a lot of gold out of the one at the Loud before they cleaned it out at the first outing .

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

digger,

I rebuilt an old trommel and made a new hopper so I can feed it with my tractor. Believe me, dredging is better. I was curious about Loud as a good friend is staying there right now. He is from CT but has worked one of my claims for several years and helped me on the trommel last year. You might look him up as he was at the Arkansas earlier this spring. Ask for "Yankee Mike".

Bill

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks , I have to go that way tomorrow and will look him up . I would think a tractor would process a lot more material , but those cracks would be harder to get into .Hope your friend still there .

Dahlonega, GA

Well , I missed him . He left to go back home about the 21 st .Would loved to talk his head off . Ask him , if you have his email , if you could pass it on to me , please .
I'd like to know what part of the Ark river he preferred to work . It's still good at the railroad crossing after all these years of dredging , but understand they built a "pay by the night" camper parking area where we used to go there. Will be upstream from there now , as I prefer more privacy around my camp .I go prospecting to get away from the masses instead of in the big middle of them and can move easy enough if screaming children move in beside me . Aaah , solitude .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images