-
AuthorContent
Ispahan
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3723520

I am having trouble finding an answer to this question online. I am interested in growing some of my coleus as houseplants this winter, but I recently obtained two cats and don't yet know how interested they will be in eating houseplants.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ispahan
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3723906

I don't know the answer to your question, but neither of my 2 cats showed any interest in my coleus in the house. And I did see a green leaved, pungent scented variety of coleus for sale at a local greenhouse they called "Scat-Cat", as it was said to repell cats from the garden. They often just seem to "know" to leave certain plants alone, so it could have something to do with toxicity. As popular as both coleus and cats are, I think more info would be readily available if it is much of a concern. Good luck finding answers, curious now myself.
Neal
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

July 11, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3724021

Hi,
I have two longhaired persian cats (4 and 5 years old) and also lots of coleus, they have never eaten a bite of any coleus - but outside the house they often eat some grass (for stomach problems with hairballs), nut nothing else vegetarian.

Well, sometimes they accidentally tear down a plant pot from the window sill, but that's another story...lol.

One of my cats - Roxanne - playing with a straw last summer...
Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

waddink
Almere
Netherlands

July 11, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3724650

Ispahan,
no problem at all. Coleus is not poisonous and cats don't eat them anyway.

Wouter
phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3725260

Alice--what a pretty kitty and such a cute picture.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3728425

Great photo Alice. What a darling cat!

Juanita
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

July 13, 2007
8:50 AM

Post #3730608

Thank you both, yes she's a darling when she plays with straws.

Here's other one called Silvi - both are females. Roxanne is a gold persian, Silvi is... yes, a silver persian. We was planning to baptize the golden one 'Goldie', but she said her name load and clear "Roooxxxannnnnn" the first time she met us, so...couldn't call her anything else.

Gold & silver goes well with coleus colors
LOL
Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

phughes
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3731270

Isn't she precious!!!! Such a pretty little kitty. Both of your cats are beautiful. Oh yes to gold and silver going well with coleus.

BTW, when are you going to plant your new coleus bed, Alice? I want to see pictures. I love the shape of it and think it will look really great with coleus planted in it. Can't wait to see it.

Patty
alice_sunn
Stockholm
Sweden

July 13, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3732913

Patty,
thanks a lot!
I will be out travelling next week, but when I come home the first thing I will do is to put as many coleus candies as possible in this bed and take photos for you to see.
;-)
Alice

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America