Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: New beekeeper

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 1, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2hyper4u
Mount Olive, AL

July 11, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3723695

okay, so I'm not really a beekeeper. I'm 16. When I was about 12 I had a pet bumblebee who's wing was injured so I took him under my wing (no pun intended.. okay... maybe a little bit) but later got eaten by a bird by my neglegence. well... I just found another bumble bee yesterday who's wing is injured and I love it to death. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me as to what to do with it. I have a little kid's bug jar that's netted and it love to hang upside down on it. I feed it honey through the comb-shaped holes and sometimes it eats if it's smart enough.
I was wondering...
how do I help it eat?
where do I find flowers for it (our yard it small and flowerless)?
should I seek another jar for it? if so what?
how do I tell what gender it is?
I'm getting ready to go on a vacation with my youth group... is it okay to take it along and keep it outside the van whenever we go to eat or something?
what else do they eat besides flowers and honey?
is there perhaps another forum more closely related to my situation than this one that you know of?

I know this might sound a little humorous, but I seriously love taking care of injured bees. Please help me if you can!
thanks
~Steph*

This message was edited Jul 11, 2007 10:41 AM
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3727389

Don't have an answer for most of your questions, but a sugar/water mixture would be easier for the bee to eat -- I feed them a tablespoon or so of white sugar dissolved in about a cup of water. They really like that -- and the beekeeper business I called said that was a good mix -- you might try calling your County Extension Agent (in the phone book's govt pages) and see if they have any advice. Good luck! jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America