How do we solve the dryer wad?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

This is driving me nuts....Our dryer is super-big capacity and does great for drying clothes. But comforters and sheets end up in a giant, tightly-rolled wad after only a few minutes in there. I've tried those rubber dryer balls, so don't even mention 'em. LOL What can I do to dry this stuff, short of hanging it up to dry it?

This is a big, king-sized bedspread:

This message was edited Jul 11, 2007 10:14 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is not super duper big capacity, but this happens when I have very few or 1 item that I want to dry. It just tangles into a wad.

Might be worth calling the mfr to see what they say. But it does happen to me w/ my older whirlpool dryer.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the reply, Vossner. I wish dryers would rotate one way for a few cycles, then go the other direction. Our front-loader does this and it does a great job of things.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have a super capacity dryer also... putting more items in does not help... just a bigger wad of stuff..... don't have an answer for you.... sorry

Allison

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

These things are great for big loads of bluejeans or towels -- individual articles of clothing -- try and dry a big comforter or bedspread. I reckon we should put up a clothesline? Then I'll have to clean bird poop off the linens. LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

maybe a small pillow with the comforter?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I might try that. I just know the dryer balls end up in the wad. I suspect a pillow will get wrapped up in the mess, too. Can't hurt to try, though.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

GW -- i too have the same problem. I'll go down half way through the cycle and shake it out to "untwist" it.

BUt I have to say, it doesn't do that all the time. IF i'm doing only sheets, duvet -- then yes... but i think if I have towels in there too, its not as bad.

sometimes it's so twisted up in knots it's frustrating... and things get caught in the "deep pockets" too.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

gardenwife, looks like you've touched a nerve here, lol

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...UG, i dont even wanna think about it!!

I wonder why it's so different? when i had my "normal' sized Kenmore (at my last house) i never had this problem... and for the BIG stuff, you'd go to the laundomat - where they have big over sized driers -- and it didnt happen there.

Next time i wash my sheets -- I'll pay closer attention to if they wad up or not...and what i may be doing differently, cuz it doesnt happen all the time.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Heck .. As sure as I'd throw some other lil item in there with the 'big' shtuffs (like a small pillow in with a blanket, spread or comforter) - they'd just roll up around that too!! .. LOL ..

My only resolve has been to set my dryer for a few minutes at a time: like 10 minutes or so (to prevent wasted energy) - and make a point to yank it out, plump it about a bit and chunk her back in there for another 10 minutes or so. Then, repeat .. as necessary.

My king bed sheets don't have near the problem tho' - unless I chunk the fitted AND the flat sheet in, together! Gotta keep'em separated, or they'll tie up in fights! (hee)

Apparently, a lot has to do with the greater mass and weight of such items as spreads and comforters ..

Wish you 'luck', GW ...

- Magpye

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one driven to distraction by 'em. Some of our comforters did wad up at the laundromat, come to think of it. They were the huge dryers. I know I about burned myself a few times when taking them out to re-arrange them!

I finally gave up tonight and just hung the heavy cotton bedspread over the clothes rod we have in the basement. At least there's a dehumidifier going, so it will have help drying. But I have a fluffier comforter in the wash right now. Ugh. ;)

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I don't have a dryer. Remember when they used to tell you to put clean tennis shoes in the dryer with a down comforter to keep the down from being lumpy? I wonder if something heavier like a clean tennis shoes might keep the large blanket or sheets from tying themselves into a knot.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

CLEAN tennis shoes...What a concept. Goodness.... ;)

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Now I'm thinking it might be new tennis balls? Racquets?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was going to say, I'd have to wash mine several times! ;)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i've done the gym shoes in with comforters before... can't recall if it made a difference at all though. and the tennis balls are pretty much the same concept as the "drier balls" -- mine just get stuck inside the "wad" -- and usually suck inside the 'large pocket corners' of the bottom sheet. dont think those balls do much good with bedding.

Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

Kimberly,

Tennis Shoes do work, but 3-4 kids tennies work better, for me. I picked up a couple new pair for a quarter/pr. at Goodwill a few years ago.
That's all I use them for.

Something to consider....and a cheap solution

It's not a "perfect ", but helps a lot, especially with the down comforters.

A few weeks ago, I got the bright idea of throwing my Crocs in with the comforter. bad Idea-they shrunk! Can you believe it?! I was so ticked. lol

Sasha

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Sasha -- that's horrible!! Who'da thunk it?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, wow...I'm surprised you didn't smell burnt rubber! LOL The dryer must have broken down all the little air pockets that keep the foam so resilient.

Gilbert, AZ

I have the same problem. And the trouble with them wadding up is that they are so wrinkled you almost have to iron them. I have tried the tennis balls with sheets. They weren't big enough. I will have to try the shoes. It is the sheets I have the most trouble with. If anyone does come up with a solution, let us know.
Have a good day!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

If the back of your dryer drum has 2 indentations, then get this accessory. I put quilts, etc on it and they just dry - the drum spins around it but the rack remains stationary - works like a charm :)

I take the rack out for the last 5 minutes and let it get fluffy with a clean sneaker.

Dea

Thumbnail by Dea
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, wow! I am going to go look. LOL

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Dea ..

Quoting:
If the back of your dryer drum has 2 indentations ..

My dryer has two indentations into the SIDES of the rotating drum ..

Mite there be any chance that you'd be willing to re-install your shelf into your dryer and take a few shots of how its' positioned/how it 'sits' and share them [here] also, please -?-

For the life of me, I jes can't seem to get a good 'visual' .. LOL

I, for one .. would appreciate it.

- Magpye

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Sure - here's the inside of the drum without the rack....

Thumbnail by Dea
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

And with the rack installed ....

Thumbnail by Dea
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ah-hah! ..
Those .. really helped a bunch!!

Thank you so much, Dea.

- Magpye

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

fyi - our dryer is a 9 year old Amana with no bells or whistles except for the rack. I just used it again today to dry a delicate quilt for my MIL that she would have spent a fortune on sending out to a cleaner.....not to mention the chemicals - UGGGHHHH.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, I see a couple of dimples on the back of the drum! Woot! They're not very deep - does that matter?

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 3:24 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't think so - even if the manufacturer doesn't have an accessory, I'm thinking you could devise something that will clear the paddles if your dryer has them. Something like a cookie cooling rack?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Maybe something like this? http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.82319/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=6#

This is a great site that's broken down by manufacturer :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

This one seems to fit most models that are 29" wide and have an "E" at the end of the model number. Hope this helps everyone :)

http://www.partselect.com/xq/aspx/Inventory.346849/qx/PartDetail.htm?SourceCode=8

You can tell that Sunday is laundry day here ;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking my dimples are farther apart than 4". I will take a photo, nerd that I am (too).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Taking pix of our dryer innards....homemaking nerd here raising hand ;)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay...Here's the scoop. Our dryer is a Maytag Performa (low end!):

Model PDET920AYW,
Serial number 11288822JL

Behold. Dimples, shallow though they are. They're probably about 12-16" apart. Maybe. Nope, didn't measure!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

never even considered that..... i'll have to check mine for holes/slots/dimples
i've got a Neptune

my old Kenmore had that shelf.. it was great. I really do miss my old washer and drier [left'em when i moved]
though the ones i have now are MUCH larger, so it really cuts down on my wash time.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Kimberley - would this work? http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3766120

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That might work - just might. I really ought to measure in there. I'm not going to do it right now, but it's on my list. Right now I'm editing photos. :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

GW -- Priorities....

;-)

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

BTW, even a dryer that autoreverses won't solve this problem. We have the ultra-fancy F&P topload dryer, which autoreverses automatically. It works nicely on everything but our CA king-size, extra deep pocket sheets - just like in the photo, the fitted sheet catches the flat sheet and pillowcases inside and wraps itself into a wad.

Now, it doesn't do it every time, and it certainly happens LESS than with our old Kenmore heavy-duty dryer. But I'd say about 20-25% of the time, it still happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.