Controlling clumping bamboo

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm thinking of planting some punting pole and timber bamboo, even though they're clumping is there an easy way to keep it from spreading in one direction? I don't want it to spread into my neighbors yard so I'm wondering if you can put in a simply barrier? I know with running bamboo you have to put in a 3-4 ft barrier under ground or use a 3-4 ft raised bed. Where it's going to be, it will be hard to get behind it every year to trim up new growth.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

You may have to use the same type barrier, only be sure it is very sturdy, as some Bambusas are very tough and can crack thin barriers.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I thought the clumping bamboo stayed very close to the surface when it spreads? For that matter the clumping shouldn't spread very far or very quick. I don't want to end up every year going out with a shovel digging around to stop new growth.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

It spreads slowly, relative to running, but it spreads, and it is very strong- spreads with much more force than most running bamboos, sort of relative to the thickness of the culms and rhizomes... a large bamboo like Bambusa oldhamii tends to push its way through wimpy rhizome barriers almost like they're not there. A running bamboo tends to have a thinner, more agile rhizome, and is more apt to turn and 'look' for another direction to grow when hitting a barrier, while a clumper has less options and will just bust the wall down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.