Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: Controlling clumping bamboo

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 3, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3726348

I'm thinking of planting some punting pole and timber bamboo, even though they're clumping is there an easy way to keep it from spreading in one direction? I don't want it to spread into my neighbors yard so I'm wondering if you can put in a simply barrier? I know with running bamboo you have to put in a 3-4 ft barrier under ground or use a 3-4 ft raised bed. Where it's going to be, it will be hard to get behind it every year to trim up new growth.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3732487

You may have to use the same type barrier, only be sure it is very sturdy, as some Bambusas are very tough and can crack thin barriers.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3734245

I thought the clumping bamboo stayed very close to the surface when it spreads? For that matter the clumping shouldn't spread very far or very quick. I don't want to end up every year going out with a shovel digging around to stop new growth.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #3734343

It spreads slowly, relative to running, but it spreads, and it is very strong- spreads with much more force than most running bamboos, sort of relative to the thickness of the culms and rhizomes... a large bamboo like Bambusa oldhamii tends to push its way through wimpy rhizome barriers almost like they're not there. A running bamboo tends to have a thinner, more agile rhizome, and is more apt to turn and 'look' for another direction to grow when hitting a barrier, while a clumper has less options and will just bust the wall down.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America