Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: When is Gaillardia ready for harvest?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 11, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3727667

When is Gaillardia ready for harvest? Does anybody know?

Suzy
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3728103

I got mine last year way into the fall Suzy. That's not to say that they weren't ready sooner, but I knew nothing about them and just dead-headed my neighbor's (and one from the town's planter) after they were done caring for them for the season. Not much help I know, lol. BTW I had pretty good success with them. They are just about to bloom.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3739175

The petals will fall off and the little ball that results will turn from a reddish color to a gray/whit 'fuzzball' look. They won't be as fluffy as a dandiloin, but have a bit of a 'stickerball' look about them.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/159268/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1781/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/2072/

Here's images of an unripe seed head, ripe seed head and finally, seeds.

Hope this helps
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3739681

How embarrassing. I didn't know it was in PFs, sorry for the trouble, Melody.

I'm also not sure I can live with the bare nekked flowers until the seed ripens! I was hoping they were ready as soon as the petals dropped off.

Thanks,
Suzy

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4055324

Suzy,

sometimes asking helps others.

I have these [gaillardia] and have had a tough time figuring how and when to grab the seeds...

this thread helped me.

I've tried, possibly too early, and the darned "ball" is sorta like thistle [it hurts] so i'd give up. now i know to wait til it's 'fluff'.

Terese
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4057657

Maybe a photo would help. The white puff ball is ready to collect.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #4057961

Thanks DEM,

yes, i viewed the images in the 3 links provided above... then went out back and found some white poof balls.

i was able to get quite a few seeds. I still have the flowers in many stages, so i feel i will get plenty of seeds this season.

I;m curious though... is this an annual or perennial?
I was reading in PF where someone in the chicago area stated he/she
Quoting:
take a spade and stick half the spade into the ground 6 inches from the plant, circling the plant. This will stimulate the rhizomes to spread and the plant to divide next spring.

if there are rhizomes, won't that make it a perennial?
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #4077562

Yes it is. This Sounds like info on how to stimulate the plant for division next spring. You leave it in the ground & in spring separate the part that was partially separated in the fall. Then you have more plants.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #4078031

thanks.

also, i was even unaware i had this Gaillardia until i saw it bloom. must have gotten it in a package of various seeds - a wild flower mix, because i have done them in that area.

i'll have to research this plant more now.

terese
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4079546

I think some gaillardias are annuals, and some are "short lived" perennials. You have to check on the specific type.

Karen
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4079559

Most gaillardia are short lived perennials. There are some annual ones like Sundance Bicolor etc. I always collect the seeds once the puffballs are nice and white. The puffballs seem to not hold up and last real long. The seeds are short triangular spikes as I recall. The last time I tried to transplant them in spring was really odd - like digging up spaghetti.
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4079899

Sorry. My bad. I guess all of the Gaillardia pulchella varieties are annuals. I wasn't thinking of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America