Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: When is Gaillardia ready for harvest?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 11, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3727667

When is Gaillardia ready for harvest? Does anybody know?

Suzy
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3728103

I got mine last year way into the fall Suzy. That's not to say that they weren't ready sooner, but I knew nothing about them and just dead-headed my neighbor's (and one from the town's planter) after they were done caring for them for the season. Not much help I know, lol. BTW I had pretty good success with them. They are just about to bloom.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3739175

The petals will fall off and the little ball that results will turn from a reddish color to a gray/whit 'fuzzball' look. They won't be as fluffy as a dandiloin, but have a bit of a 'stickerball' look about them.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/159268/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1781/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/2072/

Here's images of an unripe seed head, ripe seed head and finally, seeds.

Hope this helps
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3739681

How embarrassing. I didn't know it was in PFs, sorry for the trouble, Melody.

I'm also not sure I can live with the bare nekked flowers until the seed ripens! I was hoping they were ready as soon as the petals dropped off.

Thanks,
Suzy

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4055324

Suzy,

sometimes asking helps others.

I have these [gaillardia] and have had a tough time figuring how and when to grab the seeds...

this thread helped me.

I've tried, possibly too early, and the darned "ball" is sorta like thistle [it hurts] so i'd give up. now i know to wait til it's 'fluff'.

Terese
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4057657

Maybe a photo would help. The white puff ball is ready to collect.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #4057961

Thanks DEM,

yes, i viewed the images in the 3 links provided above... then went out back and found some white poof balls.

i was able to get quite a few seeds. I still have the flowers in many stages, so i feel i will get plenty of seeds this season.

I;m curious though... is this an annual or perennial?
I was reading in PF where someone in the chicago area stated he/she
[quote]
take a spade and stick half the spade into the ground 6 inches from the plant, circling the plant. This will stimulate the rhizomes to spread and the plant to divide next spring.
[/quote]

if there are rhizomes, won't that make it a perennial?
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #4077562

Yes it is. This Sounds like info on how to stimulate the plant for division next spring. You leave it in the ground & in spring separate the part that was partially separated in the fall. Then you have more plants.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #4078031

thanks.

also, i was even unaware i had this Gaillardia until i saw it bloom. must have gotten it in a package of various seeds - a wild flower mix, because i have done them in that area.

i'll have to research this plant more now.

terese
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4079546

I think some gaillardias are annuals, and some are "short lived" perennials. You have to check on the specific type.

Karen
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4079559

Most gaillardia are short lived perennials. There are some annual ones like Sundance Bicolor etc. I always collect the seeds once the puffballs are nice and white. The puffballs seem to not hold up and last real long. The seeds are short triangular spikes as I recall. The last time I tried to transplant them in spring was really odd - like digging up spaghetti.
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4079899

Sorry. My bad. I guess all of the Gaillardia pulchella varieties are annuals. I wasn't thinking of them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America