Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Should I leave my corn in for my pole bean to cling to?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
growingup
Tucson, AZ

July 13, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3731731

I planted pole beans on either side of my 6' corn stalks with the idea that they could use the stalk to cling to as they grew taller. Well, my corn is really getting ready to be pulled. The pole beans are rather close and this is what my real question is, once the corn is done, will it stop gathering nutrients from the soil and make a good support system or should I just pull the dissapointing crop now before the pole beans sprout?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3731826

If your pole beans have not sprouted yet, and the corn is mature. I would remove the cornstalks. Most sweet corns have very weak stalks as they dry and fail to support beans well.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3732166

Although I'm not an expert, I had exactly that experience. What a mess, with toppled cornstalks and pole beans everywhere.

And "Howdy" to a fellow Tucsonan!
growingup
Tucson, AZ

July 13, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3732693

Hey there Jill. Its nice to see other desert people gardening, sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one.
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3732710

Come visit the Southwest Forum, Growingup! We always love new "faces", and a nicer (if slightly zany) bunch of gardeners you'll never meet. Lots of good advice on how to garden in our wacked-out environment, and they're very nice to gardeners on the steep part of the learning curve!

Hope to see you there!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America