Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

July 14th, 2007: Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora) by Toxicodendron

The Bloom of the Day for July 14th, 2007 was Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis terniflora).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/bloom.php?date=2007-07-14

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

Is this all one plant or several? I hope it's several because I'm in trouble if its one. I just planted one and I don't think I have that much room for it!!!!It's huge. Beautiful but huge. LOL

london England, United Kingdom

What a lovely setting Marlina,beautiful. (sorry I don't know anything about the plant)!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know it says part shade we have ours in part shade and it never has blossomed. I would love it too. Boy oh boy has it ever grown!!!! I got ours on clearance for 75 cents at wally world. We love the vines though. Well I take that back we did have a few blossoms earlier this summer on the very top. This has been here about 4 years I have to keep cutting it back it is taking over. Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Folks,

Sorry to respond so late, but I just found out about this feature! My Mother was very ill for the first 3 weeks of July and passed away July 21. I've been too busy to be on DG very much.

The clematis is ONE vine! Or it was...I finally moved it because it was so overwhelming and I could not shut the greenhouse door, lol.

You can cut these way back in the spring. They bloom on new growth. They smell heavenly, and mine is in bloom right now.

Good luck with yours!
P.S. Cut off the seed heads if you don't volunteers.

Toxi

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

very beautiful toxi im so sorry about your mom. thats very sad hope you have lots of support thru your difficult time. ronna

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much, Ronna. We had a memorial service for our very large family on Saturday, which would have been her 75th birthday. We had a good fellowship with one another. Now I am finally turning my attention to all the other things that need me, ha.

Blaine, MN(Zone 4b)

You thought you were slow. I am slower. Sorry about your mom also. That ones a hard one...Can you tell me if your flowers had a strong scent . I know they say they are suppose to but mine last year didn't seem to have much .

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Marlina,
You might be able to tell I'm not on here as much as I used to be; sorry to be so late checking my threads.

Yes, mine has a strong sweet scent, a lot like baby powder. You might try sniffing the blooms at different times of day; some are stronger in the morning or evening. I can't recall right now if that is the case with this particular plant, but I know it is true of some blooms.

Thank you for the condolences. It was a bit depressing going through the anniversary of Mom's death. But she is not suffering now, so that's a relief.

Toxi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.