Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Impatiens Cutting Back?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #3735617

Hello all,
Ok I was wondering if you can "cut back" an impatiens plant? Mine was looking beautiful and smelling great, and then I forgot to water it for two day and wham-o! LOL The first day I forgot, and the second it had rained so I thought it got a good soak and forgot to check it before I went to bed to make sure!

Well Sad to say that in the morning when I checked it it was dry as a bone and had lost half its leaves!! HUUUUH :((

Anyway it has perked back up, but now looks leggy. I can see where some/a few new leaves are coming back but it is not as nice and pretty as it was!

I know it needs to be repotted to help with the moister problem, which was not a problem until this week! LOL

But I am not sure if I can "cut it back" a little? There are no new leaves on the longer steams, but ones coming out from the bottom, and a few new sprouts.

Will it kill it if I cut it back a little? Maybe down to the next to top leave set? Which is not more than an inch I don't think. But I know if I cut all the leaves off of it it can't breath and I will kill it! LOL

Also can I bring it in in the winter? Do they do well as house plants? I know some don't and have an odor once inside!

Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by txflower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3735730

pinching them back shouldn't be a problem, then give it a shot of the miracle groe ultra bloom or any high middle # (phosphorous) water soluable fert. As this will promote new growth and a lot of new flower buds.
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3735794

Ok! But how far back to I cut them?

To the lowest leaf? To the Dirt?

And do I do it a few at a time or all at once?

Can I bring it inside in the winter, and then move it back out side?
GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2007
7:10 PM

Post #3735810

I can't kill impatiens, so I might not be the right one to answer, but in my experience you can cut them down pretty far. if you want to be safe, just cut back 50% or so. Also, they do fine for me in the house. I always have a couple of tiny ones on window sills and I bring a larger pot or two into the house every winter. They do fine in the bathroom with some other house plants and a bit of artificial lighting to supplement the one small window. Like all other plants, they might need a bit of time to adapt, though.
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3735857

HUM well thank you!! I will work on mine tonight! It just makes me sick I killed it off like that! LOL

Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America