Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Why are my zucchini shrivelling and falling off?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patterntracy
Hyde Park, MA

July 14, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3735754

I had this problem last year as well. This year I planted in a different part of the bed, added a lot of compost, and crossed my fingers, because I didn't know what else to do. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see I've got 2 happy and healthy zukes, 1 that started out OK before it started turning yellow and rotten, and 1 tiny little one that almost immediately had problems (it's right beside the other sick one, the end is just visible between 2 stalks of the plant. Sorry, I can't add any handy arrows with my home computer.) It's not a huge deal, because I'll probably still get more zucchini than we can eat, but I'd really like to be able to make my plants healthier. Help! Anyone know what's going on?

Thumbnail by patterntracy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3735780

It is normal in many cultivars for the first few females to abort, Cause can be either lack of pollination or the plant is not ready to reproduce. If in the past, zukes have done well later, just be patient. If for some reason, you determine that pollinating insects do not exist, then you can try hand pollinating. Never had to myself.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3736175

My mother-in-law has zuchinni and said that she'd lost some to dry rot because they need to be watered...

Kristie
Crazy4bts
Avon, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3736380

I've been having this problem this year too, I was thinking that the plant was putting all it's energy into the ones growing well. I'd love to know if there is any way to fix this though!
HELLRAIZER112
Bakersfield, CA

July 24, 2007
5:21 AM

Post #3772245

look pick the roting squash off and water and next year sow the seeds in def spot in the garden look go down to like lowes ot wal-mart buy bags steer poop and get some hores poop as well put all of them in the garden and just go to town talling it all in and there you go should be fine next year ok

Thumbnail by HELLRAIZER112
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America