Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: Why are my zucchini shrivelling and falling off?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
Hyde Park, MA

July 14, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3735754

I had this problem last year as well. This year I planted in a different part of the bed, added a lot of compost, and crossed my fingers, because I didn't know what else to do. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see I've got 2 happy and healthy zukes, 1 that started out OK before it started turning yellow and rotten, and 1 tiny little one that almost immediately had problems (it's right beside the other sick one, the end is just visible between 2 stalks of the plant. Sorry, I can't add any handy arrows with my home computer.) It's not a huge deal, because I'll probably still get more zucchini than we can eat, but I'd really like to be able to make my plants healthier. Help! Anyone know what's going on?

Thumbnail by patterntracy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3735780

It is normal in many cultivars for the first few females to abort, Cause can be either lack of pollination or the plant is not ready to reproduce. If in the past, zukes have done well later, just be patient. If for some reason, you determine that pollinating insects do not exist, then you can try hand pollinating. Never had to myself.
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3736175

My mother-in-law has zuchinni and said that she'd lost some to dry rot because they need to be watered...

Avon, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3736380

I've been having this problem this year too, I was thinking that the plant was putting all it's energy into the ones growing well. I'd love to know if there is any way to fix this though!
Bakersfield, CA

July 24, 2007
5:21 AM

Post #3772245

look pick the roting squash off and water and next year sow the seeds in def spot in the garden look go down to like lowes ot wal-mart buy bags steer poop and get some hores poop as well put all of them in the garden and just go to town talling it all in and there you go should be fine next year ok

Thumbnail by HELLRAIZER112
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America