Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Putting new ends on telephone cord

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 14, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3736469

This might seem like a pretty trivial question, but I have hesitated to do it. You know those little plastic thingys on the end of the cords that plug into the phone, phone outlets, etc. Well, I have a phone cord that is wired into the wall on one end, but the plug in end is broke and keeps pulling out. I have more plug ends and a gadget for putting them on, but I am afraid that the connected phone line might have electricity in it? Does anyone know about this?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3738382

I worked in the telephone business for 35 years.
At the low price go out and buy a new cord.
Place a modular connecting block where the wiring comes out of the wall.
Very easy to do and much more reliable than trying to replace the plug yourself.

Paul
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3738557

Thank you for your answer. What is a modular connecting block, if I may ask?

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3739286

It's a cover that has 4 wires that connects to the inside wiring and a female plug that the cord plugs into. Cost about $1-$2 at any hardware or big box store.

Connect the Red to red green to green etc.

Paul
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 15, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3739935

That sounds more challenging to me than putting a new end on the cord! But thank you for taking the time to answer.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 16, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #3742799

Depending on your local phone company and your contract, they might change it for you - free - well, not exactly free, but if part of your bill is for "in-house service", you have already paid for it.

I was a telecom manager for a few years, and I agree with Paul - I'm sure we both have replaced a few plugs incorrectly and had to do them over. LOL.

I still have all my "tools", but rarely use them now.
13levine
Waconia, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #4031909

You said you have the ends and the gadget to put them on with. The voltage is so low that you can't get a jolt off it.(1 I just cut the end of the cord that is damaged perfectly square. You can use a wire stripper tool or even a sharp knife the wires are so small. 2)Slide the end on. (3Turn it so you can see the ends of the wire you inserted through the plastic.They should all be shining bright (some people refer to as seeing the lights) if they are inserted properly.4) Use your crimping tool to fasten it on there. The worst that can happen:(1 The end has to be the right way over or it won't work. If it doesn't work cut off and start over. That is what happens to me. 2) Those ends have to perfectly square or they won't contact properly. However when you look at them from the end they probably won't all shine the same. Remember - Nothing ventured nothing gained.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #4034561

At last! The answer I was hoping for! My worry was about the electricity running through the wire. Thank you so much for responding.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America