Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Beginner Flowers: Am I crazy to be planting sunflowers now?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
growingup
Tucson, AZ

July 14, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3736515

I started them a week ago. Velvet Queens and Vanilla Ice. It is pretty much warm year around her in AZ with a bit of a cold snap near January. Another question, they still haven't sprouted. I did layer on paper shreddings for mulch. Should I remove it for the sun to be able to warm the soil?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #3737071

planting zinnias is fine...we can do it this time of the year also...but you don't put mulch on top of annual seeds??????????

i would just barely cover the seeds with a rake for just covering the seed and then keep them moist until they germinate...don't think you can put anything but a little soil and constant moisture until they germinate...do it again...you have lots of time...zinnias probably don't take but 60-70 days to bloom...good luck
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #3745094

Sunflowers should be fairly quick to geminate. I agree with gg, you shouln't mulch over seeds. You can plant sunflowers a bit deeper than you would zinnias. Check the back of the seed pack for depths. It may take more than a week, but they should sprout in 2-21/2...at least here, they should.
You may want to check under the paper and see if they have tried to sprout...
Luck,
Bev
growingup
Tucson, AZ

July 18, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #3750689

I've removed the mulch that was directly over the seeds. Of the 20 or so I planted, I'm only seeing about 3 strong sprouts.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #3750726

Don't give up on them, yet. The good news is that you are seeing sprouts. Seeds germinate over a period of time instead of all at once. You will also see that seed germination is usually a percentage. We all hope for 100%, but most often see less than that.
Hope you are enjoying the process. I love seeing sprouts come up...a very satisfying feeling.
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America