Am I crazy to be planting sunflowers now?

Tucson, AZ

I started them a week ago. Velvet Queens and Vanilla Ice. It is pretty much warm year around her in AZ with a bit of a cold snap near January. Another question, they still haven't sprouted. I did layer on paper shreddings for mulch. Should I remove it for the sun to be able to warm the soil?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

planting zinnias is fine............we can do it this time of the year also.............but you don't put mulch on top of annual seeds??????????

i would just barely cover the seeds with a rake for just covering the seed and then keep them moist until they germinate...........don't think you can put anything but a little soil and constant moisture until they germinate.................do it again...........you have lots of time..........zinnias probably don't take but 60-70 days to bloom..............good luck

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Sunflowers should be fairly quick to geminate. I agree with gg, you shouln't mulch over seeds. You can plant sunflowers a bit deeper than you would zinnias. Check the back of the seed pack for depths. It may take more than a week, but they should sprout in 2-21/2...at least here, they should.
You may want to check under the paper and see if they have tried to sprout...
Luck,
Bev

Tucson, AZ

I've removed the mulch that was directly over the seeds. Of the 20 or so I planted, I'm only seeing about 3 strong sprouts.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Don't give up on them, yet. The good news is that you are seeing sprouts. Seeds germinate over a period of time instead of all at once. You will also see that seed germination is usually a percentage. We all hope for 100%, but most often see less than that.
Hope you are enjoying the process. I love seeing sprouts come up...a very satisfying feeling.
Bev

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.