Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hilburng
Greenville, NC

July 15, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3739147

I planted sweet woodruff this spring to be a flowering ground cover in a shady area. It has done very little and has not flowered at all. Why? And what can I do?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2007
6:34 PM

Post #3739156

Most perennials will take a little while to really get going--there's a saying that in the first year they sleep, in the second year they creep, and in the third year they leap. So I'd give them a little more time. Chances are they'll grow more and probably bloom a bit next year, but then the year after you should really notice them start to take off. So make sure you're giving it the right amount of water, fertilizer, etc but then all you can really do is sit back and wait. I wouldn't expect it to do too much this year though
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3740121

That's especially true of Sweet Woodruff - it takes time to fill in -- several years. Once it does, some people complain that it can be invasive, but I don't find it to be. I've had it for 15 years, and it still doesn't fill as many spots as I want it to.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3787480

I planted some last year and it didn't bloom, but this summer it spread like crazy and also bloomed well. I think I'm a little nervous now if next year is the "leap" year! Do I have to worry about the hostas I have near it or will they just push up thru it? Yikes.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3790216

I've wondered the same thing. But my hostas (so far, at least) are pushing up through it just fine, except for short hostas which look as if they are struggling a bit. . I may pull it back a little bit from the base of the hostas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America