SOLVED: what is this?

It is huge! I have several bunches. it has a pretty yellow flower. it comes back every year. It is like 6 foot tall.

Thumbnail by midwestsnowbird
Pine City, MN(Zone 4a)

Ooohhh, pretty!

Petaluma, CA

That IS gorgeous! I like the dark leaves with the yellow flowers. Could it be some kind of dahlia? I'm not seeing the leaves clearly.

The leaves are pretty big. I would be glad to trade someone something for starts of it. I have quiet alot. i have given some to several friends and theirs are growing like crazy to! Probably would be best to wait till fall though. It isn't a bulb or tuber, its just roots big roots.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Does it have a smell. Looks like something that I have that has a smell and it is hard to describe. Not a pleasant smell, but something that I can tolerate. Spreads like crazy.

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 9th 3:25 PM

Bellmawr, NJ

I think it's some kind of Helianthus. They are very hardy and spread like crazy.

Whew,that a beauty''

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

What would you like to have in trade for it?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I would try finding a picture of Rudbeckia "Golden Glow" It's an old plant that you find on farms around here, next to barns or milkhouses. They get to be 6 feet or more and bloom in August. They do spread like fury, but you can hide a lot of "unsightly" with them in a short time!

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

Golden Glow Rudbeckia is right I believe. Spreads out some and can be cut back earlier in the year to make it smaller and bushy when it blooms. Mine always gets knocked down by a summer storm just as it is pretty.

Thank you all very much. It does sound like the golden glow Rudbeckia. Maybe next year i will try pinching it back to keep it somewhat shorter. Judith I emailed you concerning a trade. If anyone else wants some of this plant let me know, i will trade a few more root bunches of it.

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

I do believe that I also have this plant!
I've wanted to know the name of it for some time. It has been passed down through the family, and I was always told it was a "Golden Rod". Does anyone have a hyperlink that tells more about it? Up here in the north, it doesn't spread much, but it does transplant really well.
Heidi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.