Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

UnIdentified Tree

Houston, TX

This is the bloom on the unidentified tree, it tags along with my previous thread. If anyone can help me, I would very much appriciate it.

Thumbnail by Barenakedtx
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some sort of Bauhinia

Houston, TX

I thought that too, but people are really thrown off by the thorns.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's no doubt in my mind that it's a Bauhinia, I'm not sure which one but I am 100% positive it's a Bauhinia.

Houston, TX

I believe it too. I'm still searching though. I've talked to several plant "experts?" and they tell me it's an orchid of some sort. But I just didn't believe that, so I searched online nurseries and found the Bauhinia. I was amazed to see an exact likeness. BUT...I called the online nursery and they insisted that it did not have thorns. I'm gonna call it a Bauhinia anyway, LOL. Thanks for the help! I needed the second opinion.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have no idea where the thread was, but I seem to remember a discussion a while back about Bauhinias and some of them do have thorns. I'd never noticed thorns on the ones I have, but some of them apparently do have them. Of course I can't remember which ones! The people who are telling you it's an orchid are probably thinking of its common name "Orchid Tree"

Houston, TX

Yep...It's a Bauhinia spp. also know as an "orchid tree". Thanks once again

Houston, TX

I've also found another web page that shows a picture of the "exact" tree in my yard, and they are not common. Bauhinia rufescens

Ocean County, NJ(Zone 7a)

http://www.floweringtreesociety.org/Bauhinia_index.htm

I SAW YOUR PIC AND HAD TO RESEARCH THIS BEAUTIFUL TREE! HERE IS A GREAT LINK TO LOTS OF PICS OF ALL TYPES OF BAUHUNIAS!
ENJOY!!!

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 11:14 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.