UnIdentified Tree

Houston, TX

This is the bloom on the unidentified tree, it tags along with my previous thread. If anyone can help me, I would very much appriciate it.

Thumbnail by Barenakedtx
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some sort of Bauhinia

Houston, TX

I thought that too, but people are really thrown off by the thorns.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There's no doubt in my mind that it's a Bauhinia, I'm not sure which one but I am 100% positive it's a Bauhinia.

Houston, TX

I believe it too. I'm still searching though. I've talked to several plant "experts?" and they tell me it's an orchid of some sort. But I just didn't believe that, so I searched online nurseries and found the Bauhinia. I was amazed to see an exact likeness. BUT...I called the online nursery and they insisted that it did not have thorns. I'm gonna call it a Bauhinia anyway, LOL. Thanks for the help! I needed the second opinion.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have no idea where the thread was, but I seem to remember a discussion a while back about Bauhinias and some of them do have thorns. I'd never noticed thorns on the ones I have, but some of them apparently do have them. Of course I can't remember which ones! The people who are telling you it's an orchid are probably thinking of its common name "Orchid Tree"

Houston, TX

Yep...It's a Bauhinia spp. also know as an "orchid tree". Thanks once again

Houston, TX

I've also found another web page that shows a picture of the "exact" tree in my yard, and they are not common. Bauhinia rufescens

Ocean County, NJ(Zone 7a)

http://www.floweringtreesociety.org/Bauhinia_index.htm

I SAW YOUR PIC AND HAD TO RESEARCH THIS BEAUTIFUL TREE! HERE IS A GREAT LINK TO LOTS OF PICS OF ALL TYPES OF BAUHUNIAS!
ENJOY!!!

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 11:14 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.