Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Neem Oil shelf life?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SarahUCM
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3751049

I use neem oil for aphids and ants on my roses. I have a bottle that's about a year old. I just read that like other organic oils, it can go rancid. Does anyone know how long it should be stored? Or how to tell if rancid... it smells pretty bad normally?

Thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3751738

In general anything that's a registered pesticide with the EPA has a shelf life of one year guaranteed, if it's less than that then I think they have to put an expiration date on it (any neem products you can buy should be EPA registered). Of course some things may last longer than that too, and I'm with you, I don't know how you would tell if it went rancid since it smells so bad in the first place!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #3757746

Really hate it that I can't help you, for I've not found any specific mention of its 'shelf life' or how to tell when it may be rancid.

Altho' I did find some other info that mite help you in the future.. [quote]TIPS ON USING NEEM OIL

1. Pure Neem Oil will retain its potency much longer if stored at about 40 F in a low light area such as a refrigerator.

2. Do not mix anything with Neem oil until you are ready to use it. Mix only the amount of Neem oil you will use in 4 to 6 hours.

3. A new batch of Neem oil, water and a little soap (according to the label) should be mixed each time you are going to spray.

4. The soap (dishwashing detergent) is used to help emulsify the oil. If no soap is used the Neem will not mix into solution with the water and spraying will not be effective.

5. Spray the complete plant including the top of the potting media. Spray benches, walkways and any surface over which an insect might travel.

6. A mixture of 1 oz. to 1 gallon of water should be used for spraying. A weaker solution may be used as a maintenance spray. It is impossible to give a definite schedule for spraying, however a "close eye" will help each person to adjust a timetable to maintain clean plants. You will probably not have to spray as often with Neem as with toxic insecticides.

* NOTE * The different Neem Oil products on the market may require handling different from what is described here. Please be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions carefully before use.[/quote]
I'll keep my eyes peeled for any other info associated, tho' ..

- Magpye
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #3758851

The other thing you might try is call the 800 number on the back of the bottle and ask them what the shelf life is, they should have information like that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America