Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: hello I'm new!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 15, Views: 179
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2007
4:36 AM

Post #3753489

I have enjoyed looking at your arrangements and you seem a friendly bunch! look forward to meeting you!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3754058

Hi terriculture. I love your cabbage arrangement. Very unique.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 19, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3756667

Thanks Karmaplace (great name) I like to try out different things to use as a container,here is one I did in a picnic basket.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3756678

Hi Terriculture,

That's a really neat arrangement! I enjoy seeing creative use of baskets and other containers. I'm new also (not to gardening, but to this forum and to floral design). I'm interested in learning more; thanks for the photo.

BDale
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3756758

Thanks for the kind comment BDale, I look forward to seeing your floral creations!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3757313

Your creativity is just killing me!!! Very very very nice. I'm still patiently waiting for something to use in my garden. I was late planting and hardly have any materials to play with. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us. Oh, and I can't take credit for my name. I happened upon a Japanese garden bearing that name and fell in love with the place. Thanks though! Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Lana
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3759471

Karmaplace, Thankyou! I was wondering if you have a theme every week where arrangers try to make something that would fit the title? It could be a challenge and fun at the same time!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2007
11:53 PM

Post #3760584

I haven't been here that long, but as far as I know, there isn't anything like that. I don't think we have a host or moderator here, but your idea sounds like a lot of fun. I'm up for that. If you start it, I will be happy to join you.
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3760600

I think it is a good idea as well. My wife is going to enter some arrangements in our local county fair in a couple of weeks, and they always have various "themes" to encourage certain kinds of colors and containers (e.g. "Summer Picnic") and it is quite interesting to see what other exhibitors come up with for their fair entries. We could do something like that here with photos. I bet it would be fun!! I don't think I personally will have enough flowers in bloom to start until a couple more weeks, but if you can get others to begin now I say full steam ahead.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 21, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3763338

Great, I'm glad you like the idea,hope others will join in too!
I went to the Chelsea flower show this year and in the floral design marquee, one of the themes was
'floral profusion' maybe we could try that and have a go at our own floral profusions!! What do you think?
This was the gold winner!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3764617

The detail work is amazing. Awesome skills and a great piece of art...but I'm not big on the hot pink and orange pairing, although that has been all the rage in the fashion world. I love the oranges and yellows...just can't get a handle on the fuschia. Just my opinion though! I'm a little old fashioned I guess.

Okay, so I love the idea of starting our own floral profusions, but my garden is so limited. Do you think it would be okay to use store bought flowers to add to what little flowers I have? Or I could do a mini arrangement and create an illusion of floral profusion...what do you think?

Let's start it in a new thread?
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #3764635

Good idea, karma and terri. Please start an appropriately titled new thread (the "DG Flower Show" or something better than that) to help explain the idea, establish the ground rules (which I assume will be simple) and announce the theme for the first display. I can't wait!!

In my opinion, it is perfectly fine to use flowers other than or beside those grown in your own garden. Scenario: you take a trip to a local Farmer's Market and find some lovely cut flowers and decide to bring them home to make an arrangement. That seems absolutely in keeping with the spirit of Dave's Garden, which is (as I understand it) to celebrate gardening, in the home, in the community, and so on. As long as one does not mis-represent the flowers used in the arrangement (i.e. "hey, look at this amazing orchid I grew in my backyard, wink, wink") I see nothing wrong with utilizing "store bought" cut flowers for an arrangement or blending those with your own. Best of all worlds (in my opinion) is to be able to grow them yourself in the backyard, but we don't all have the space or in some cases the climate to do these more than a couple of months a year. It would be fun to compare, do a lot of electronic "oohs and ahhs" when admiring each others' ideas, and learn more about floral arranging via this approach.

Just my opinion(s). But I'm an enthusiastic supporter of adding this new feature to this forum as a fun addition. Good ideas!
BDale
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3765881

Karmaplace, I think it's perfectly ok to use flowers from anywhere (legal) that is!!! I'm not advocating
stealing from the park or anything. Unless the theme is for tiny arrangements, I think you can do whatever size suits you, anyway I hope people will do more than one, once they are inspired by others.

I know what you mean about the orange and fuchsia combination, it can be a bit gaudy! but I did like the winner it was a bit quirky!

SORRY! but I just couldn't resist showing you one of my gaudy arrangements!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2007
6:30 AM

Post #3788313

Karma, have you ever used mimosa? It smells gorgeous!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #3853425

Well Karma, have you used Mimosa?!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
9:41 AM

Post #3855064

The only mimosa I'm familiar with was a tree with pink fuzzy flowers my aunt used to have, but I read somewhere that it really wasn't mimosa if it was a tree form. And it didn't have a fragrance...from what I remember. Not sure if I've ever seen the mimosa you're talking about. But if I could get my hands on that tree with the pink fuzzies, I would love to make something from it.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 4:43 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America