Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: Bee Feeding Update

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 16, Views: 461
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3754367

While the butterflies aren't using the feeder I bought for them, the bees *love* it - even more than the flat dish I was using. Early morning, there are 3-6 scouts. Then I fill the feeder, hang it and stand back -- within a few minutes there are a dozen plus, 15-20 mins later, the feeder is covered and, at the hour mark, it looks like a rugby scrum -- see pic. Then within minutes of emptying the feeder, most have dispersed. Some drink from the birdie water dish through out the day. I could probably fill the feeder several times over but am concerned that once life here in the complex gets going, around 7:30a, even the more unobservant neighbors *might* notice the scrum and complain to the office who probably make me stop. I hate being paranoid like this, but I am. And, a friend in Ohio and one in Paris France have committed to buying feeders and feeding bees in their gardens/balconies. jo

Thumbnail by jio1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #3766746

Very cool. What do you feed "your" bees? Is it the standard sugar water mixture recipe that comes with the feeder? We live on a bit of property in a rural area, and I could place something like this in a "non-people, non-canine" area and let the girls go at it. I imagine all kinds of insects might visit. We have a large number of polinating wasps and flies here that might also partake. Also, do you have a problem with ants? We live in the high desert, and ants seem to love it here. I don't mind them, but they might make cleaning the feeder a nusance. Sorry for all the questions. I'm not quite ready for a hive of my own, but thought this might be good to keep me "bee happy" in the mean time. Thanks!
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3768521

Have been using the hummer ratio (4 water/1 sugar/boil) for the bees. While that's too strong a mix for the butterflies, they aren't using the feeder so I figured that it's ok. Any kind of really shallow dish would work -- as long as they can cling to something and put their "noses" in the water safely. I have some wasps come by now and then as well.

As to the ants: I feed the ants who are down on the ground, I'm on the 4th floor. I tell them this is so they don't have to come all the ways upstairs for food. Once in a while there will be a few ants (less than 6) in the hummer feeder. The live ones, I toss back to the ground, the dead go down the drain. Oddly enough, the days that the ants come to the feeder are the days I haven't fed them. If interspecies communication is of interest to you: check out Clive Backster's work, including his new book, Primary Perceptions - his work has been mostly with plants but the theories hold true. I also don't have flies or ants in the house (4th floor?) I don't know but ever since I quit killing insects I have had no problems with them.

Good luck and thanks for feeding the bees! jo
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3772469

I've always found insects facinating. I've had a tarantula for about 6 years now, and she is quite an interesting girl. Funny you mention feeding the ants on the ground floor, because my son feeds them "way out back" so they won't have to visit "indoors" ! ...polinators are hard to come by out here, so maybe feeding them will help them survive when things are not in bloom. Thanks for the info!
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #3773028

Wow! I'm not alone?! Cool! Tell your son "Hey" for me -- jo
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2007
6:22 PM

Post #3782348

I don't kill anything except mosquitoes, fleas & ticks. Occasionally a fly if I'm reading in bed & one is buzzing round & round the bedroom.

I love little creatures of all kinds. They are so much fun to watch. I even fed 4 tobacco hornworms this week & gave them a box to pupate in so I can see the hawk moths when they hatch. I haven't been able to shut my back door for a month because a mud dauber nested on the jamb.

But I've never fed ants. There is a cottonwood sapling in my veggie garden that is thick with aphids & their little "farmers."

LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #3801822

The bees are coming to your feeders because it is easier than flying around looking for flowers. Also at this time there may be nothing blooming and they need to build up their supplies for the winter time so they can survive. Also they need water to help keep the hive cool and for the other bees that stay in the hive. So thanks for putting out food and water for them. LIZ
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 2, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3929427

The picture of the bees at the feeder I loved it. Have been wanting to get into beekeeping but am not sure how to go about it. My house is on 1.45 ac and I own a lot beside me that is 1.35 wooded so I have the space just do not know how to start. Deanna
Bootheel
New Madrid, MO

September 3, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #3932580

deanna8
The best single resource to get into the hobby is "Bee Keeping for Dummies" there are lots of "how to" guides, but it is the best. I have found Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, which is also located in North Carolina, to be a great equipment supplier--they have a beginners kit. It helps to have a mentor, but if you don't the guide will tell you what you need to know--and you have all winter to study up since bees are shipped in the late spring. I use Wilbanks Apiaries as a supplier for my bees. They are in Georgia. Buy three-banded Italians. For a start up hive purchase three pounds of bees and a marked queen. Another tip--feed your bees well in to July even though they arrive during the honey flow (white blossoms) they need that extra boost. Good luck!
deanna8
Raeford, NC

September 4, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3933846

Thanks, Bootheel
sudhira
Aptos, CA

September 4, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3937130

Look for the product 'Honey B Healthy'...it is an additive to sugar syrup for bees...helps them along I am told...my bees are not interested in sugar syrup as of yet...still have a flow going...thank goodness...
clgs1
Kennett Square, PA

September 8, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5525141

Another great and easy way to get into beekeeping is to take a beginners beekeeping course. Most local beekeeper organizations hold them to encourage the trade/hobby. Usually a day course that introduces you to all you need to know to get started. Also - you meet the people in the group who will help you as the years progress. This is a very social hobby.

Look on the internet for beekeeper groups in your town or county. Your police may keep a swarm collection list - the beekeepers on that will probably know what the local group's name is.

It is easy - fun - and good for the environment!
gisele123
Gatineau
Canada

September 8, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5525683

Kemaq Co and Ingami Corp are the leader in importing Trike Chopper;
4 wheelers atv;electric cars and bikes
Ray from Kemaq Co

Thumbnail by gisele123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nitygrity
central, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5679607

I put a sock on a rock, put it in a shallow water dish for the birds, and the bees love that. However, the honey bees flocked across to a neighbor's tree and she called a bee man to remove them. I would like the bee's to stay in my yard, to help polinate my apple trees. Should I put up a box for honey bees, or can I use the mason bee's to keep the bee's around to polinate the apple trees and garden? Thanks, nitygrity
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5720196

I just happened across this forum. I had a bee experience recently, they started feeding from the hummingbird feeder. The feeder has been there a few years, but this is the first time I've seen this. The hummers were not happy since they were getting chased off. I have the water for all the birds under the hummers feeder and the bees and butterflies use it regularly, but when the bees took over the feeder, the birds appeared to be a little fearful of hanging around the water. The birdseed feed is only about 3 feet away and slightly higher. Those bees sucked the hummers' feeder dry (about a quart) in 2.5 days!! I haven't refilled because I thought the bees should be pollinating my veggies not getting getting drunk on sugar water!!
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #5977383

quiltygirl: are there blossoms to be pollinated this time of year? The bees are eating the sugar water because they are hungry -- it's not a preference for one type of food over another or because they *like* getting drunk. Fill a *shallow* dish with some sugar water, put a couple rocks in the dish as well so the bees who fall in the sugar water can climb out. Then the hummers can have their feeder back.

jo
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #5979495

Thanks Jio1. At the time I wrote the thread, I did some summer winter squash flowers to be pollinated and there were other flowers in the garden - salvia, lantana, dianthus, alyssum, passion vine, oleander and geraniums flowering in other areas, some near the hummer's feeder. Right now the frost has accosted the lantana and geraniums, but the sugar peas, dianthus and alyssum are flowering. Don't know if peas need pollinating - I have not noticed any bees around. This week days are high 60's low 70's and we should have some 38-44 degree nights. Only slight, rooftop frost last couple nights. Seldom gets cold enough to freeze bird bath solid.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America