Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Is it too late?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3756534

I just found my big packets of flower seeds. I live in zone 8b. Is it too late to try to grow flowers from seeds now? According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, our 1st frost date (50%) is Nov 7. Would I be wasting my time and seeds? Thanks
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 19, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3756644

Hi Vicki, it really depends what kind of flowers you want to start, annuals is too late in the season, bi-annials can be started in Aug/Sept as they need to grow one year and flower the next, or if Perennials, then these can be started as for bi-annials, then set out into the garden the following spring and in some areas. come back every year, they would all need winter protection in your area I would imagine if the more tender flower type were to be grown from seed at this late stage of the season, so without knowing what you want to plant, that is just a general guide. WeeNel.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3756867

How about sunflowers WeeNel? Is it too late in my zone (7) to grow some sunflowers? I want to grow them for the seeds to eat!
Which reminds me of another question...are all types of sunflower seeds edible?

Thanks!
Ping
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3756905

Really cant answer about ALL sunflower seeds as what some folks will call a type of sun flower could be Daisies to me, but if you are talking about the large flowering sun flowers, then yeh, I would say you can eat them, if you want to grow for edible seeds, then give it a go, even if they dont get to be huge, then it will go to seed at some point, I would think as it is still July, your zone still has a good bit of heat and sun left to give you sun flowers. Good Luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America