Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Brainstorming about the DG Electronic Floral Show idea

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 16, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #3764874

I'm picking up on a previous thread and an idea, full credit to "terriculture" with support from "karmaplace" about launching a weekly display of floral arrangements based on some theme for the week. The first suggestion I heard for a theme was "Floral Profusion" and I'm sure there will be many more suggestions along the way.

How about brainstorming more about this concept, with ideas for basic guidelines and suggestions about making it fun and interesting for people who love cut flowers and floral arranging? I'm brand new to it, so my motivation would be to learn and experiment, getting (constructive, not nasty) feedback from others about how to do a better job arranging flowers.

How should this work?
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3765023

Here are some suggestions:

1. Understated Elegance
2. Mini design (under 6") using very small flowers
3. Floral arrangment in a teacup.
4. A Study in Blues (or oranges or yellow or pinks, etc)
5. foliage only
6. Good enough to eat - using only edible flowers and veggies

Anyway - just some ideas.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 10:31 AM

This message was edited Jul 22, 2007 10:32 AM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3765384

Great initiation Bdale! I think a moderator/host would be a great first step. Just someone who can keep the board going and to make the final say. Anyone?

Next, since this topic is new to Daves garden and some including me are new to this forum, how about starting the theme out as "get to know you". The flower arrangement should say something about you...or it could be your favorite kind of design. And then follow up with a little explanation. Just to start us off.

As far as themes, I like terriculture's as well as Seandor's. Others could be Zen, Tropical Paradise, In the Wild, Four Seasons?

It could take days or weeks before everyone gives their input...so can we get something started in the meantime? Thanks.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
4:06 PM

Post #3765451

Hi everyone, I say anything goes! It doesn't matter to me where the containers, flowers and accessories
come from it's what you do it them is all that matters! If you are using garden flowers then it's nice to
know because that gives us ideas for what to grow in our cut flower beds next year!
I don't know if I'm getting carried away (please say) but I was thinking maybe we could ask the DG
garden members to vote on our arrangements and the winner would choose the title for the following week! I'm really looking forward to having some fun and seeing everyone's ideas!

BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3765563

Hey, great to hear from Terriculture, the originator of this idea. Just like The Beatles, a British invasion (LOL) only this time it is "terriculture" or "horticulture" instead of "pop culture"!

Oooh, Karma, I like that "Getting To Know You" as a great ice-breaker and way to welcome people and introduce them (us) to each other.

Seandor, lots of creative thoughts there!! You are giving me lots of ideas about fun combinations.

I don't know what is allowed, appropriate, or within the boundaries of the DG philosophy with regard to competition, moderators, voting, and so forth. I'm hoping Dave or one of the administrators for DG will hop on this thread and offer some thoughts about the boundaries and possibilities here.

In the meantime, maybe we could also (while awaiting word on what is possible with DG) propose more basic guidelines for how this would work and what is expected so people would know what they are doing and why. For example:

1. Please submit a good photo along with a brief verbal explanation of a flower arrangement that fits the announced theme.

2. Identify the flowers, foliage, or other plant materials (fruit, vegetable if appropriate) used in your arrangement.

Etc. Not to get complicated, just to be clear. If we generated a brief list of such guidelines, perhaps it could be put in one of those "Sticky" threads that appears at the beginning of the forum so anybody who is interested in doing this would know what is going on.

Just some thoughts.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #3765639

Hey BDale, guess what ? I am from Liverpool!!! I was born in Speke, which is where the John Lennon airport is. Oh and I am a keen Liverpool football fan!

We have gone off track here from flowers!

I agree we should state what flowers and foliage we have used and any other info about the arrangement,
even problems encountered in the making process, which gives hints and tips for others not to make the same mistakes!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3765664

This is my world cup basket!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #3765696

Now that is outstanding! Love the little football (soccer ball)
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3765742

Wow! Terrific! (Is this a preview of your "Getting to Know You" arrangement?)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3765747

Thanyou Seandor very kind! we don't say soccer over here, it's football!

You have some great ideas for themes, I like the tea cup idea it could be any size!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 22, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #3766420

Thinking about it BDale, there's no reason why everyone couldn't start their own thread with a theme and
we could have a go at them all!! What do you think guys?
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3766985

Terriculture, I'm fine with that. Whatever is easiest. I will just start us off with the get to know you arrangements.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3767014

Okay, on second thought, would someone else with better writing skills do it for me? Sorry, I couldn't think of a darn thing to say that made any sense. Bdale?? Thanks in advance!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 23, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3767069

Good idea Karmaplace, and BDale is good at that sort of thing !
The great thing about the idea is, when I wake up tomorrow there might be loads of floral artworks to look at and admire!
Happy arranging everyone.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3767212

Terri, thanks so much for coming up with the whole idea. It's funny, I've been checking this site a million times a day since we started brainstorming on this. I've been getting sneak peaks at everyone's arrangements, but haven't created any arrangements for show and tell since I found this board. This will definitely motivate me to contribute something to this board. I'm so psyched (do you even say that in England?) just thinking about it. Tomorrow I will gather my materials for a few of the themes we've mentioned. Well, maybe I should take it one week at a time, so I can have fresh arrangements every week. Wowie, I don't know if I can sleep tonight!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 23, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #3767318

Hi Karmaplace I can't sleep either!! The thing is, if we do have lots of themes going on, after you have taken the photo of your arrangement you can use some of the flowers for another theme if they are suitable. It's the containers and accessories that make it look different.
Fresh arrangements every week I like the sound of that!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 7:03 PM
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3774508

Continued here, with the first installment of "Dave's Garden Electronic Floral Show: Getting to Know You"
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751393/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America