Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: X....I have blooms from the purple seed you sent to me!

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 9, Views: 184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3773530

I am so excited. I started these from seed, and have several, I planted them in ground, in pots and placed them in different locations to see what they would like the most. This is the biggest one and the only one with blossoms and flowers. It is absolutely beautiful!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3773533

Another picture

Thumbnail by JanetS

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #3773564

Last one...the sun is bright so I will take more later today! How long do the blooms last? Thanks so much "X" for allowing me to add these to my garden! I have tried with this seed several times and this is the second one that has grown for me. I have a white that isn't blooming yet, but it is in a pot and three years old.

Thumbnail by JanetS

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3773609

Well done! There were two types of datura in the batch, I called them puffs & skirts. The picture shows the different types of flowers from the batch of seeds I originally got. The picture you posted is what I called puff's.

It has been so hot and dry this year, I gave up on my datura and let them go to seed.

The picture shows the different types of flowers I got from the original batch of seeds.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #3773627

The white I have is the single white, but smells great! How long do the blooms last? I can't remember from the white one...seems like one day maybe.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3773832

Mine only last a day. When it's cooler, they seem to hang on a bit longer.

X
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #3810075

JanetS, hope you don't mind me tagging on to your thread. My question for X may be useful to you, also.

X, is this the seed pod? Am I not supposed to let them form? How do I collect and store the seeds? These are also from the seeds you sent me and I've enjoyed them so much. They are very different from any other plant I have in my garden. Thanks!

Debra

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #3810093

I have two purple swirls and two with cream colored blooms. Vanilla? Forgot the name. This photo was taken in very harsh light and is hard to see but here is the largest purple swirl. The stalk is huge. It had to be tied to the fence railing to support it!

Thumbnail by fleursdefouquet

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3810328

Wow! nice to see the grandchildren!

Here is a page that tells you what to do.

http://xeramtheum.com/Daturaseeds.htm

X

fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3810409

Great link. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America