Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Gerber Daisy Albuquerque New Mexico

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
albqlp
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3774937

Help!! My gerber daisy was doing so well. All of a sudden it is wilting somthing feirce. I have it planted on the east side, with sun during mid-day and late afternoon. I water it everyday. The new buds are wilting as well. The older folige is turning brown. It is the only gerber I have and wanted to get more, but not sure if I should try to now.

Lots of smiles Linda
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #3781311

You may be overwatering? Usually yellowing leaves is a sign of overwatering.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3781336

If it's planted in the garden (as opposed to a container) it shouldn't need to be watered every day unless you are having really hot weather and have really sandy soil, or if you just planted it within the last couple weeks (and maybe not even then). They'll make you think they need to be watered everyday because they'll sometimes wilt a little bit in the afternoon heat, but if you leave them alone you'll notice they perk back up again overnight--they didn't really need more water, just they weren't able to take up water fast enough to compensate for the heat of the sun so they temporarily wilt as a defense mechanism. So I'd check by sticking your finger down an inch or two into the soil, and when that starts to feel dry then water them, but otherwise if it still feels moist then you don't need to water yet.
gardenerme
Orange, CA

July 26, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3781346

Make sure you didn't plant it too deep. The crown (where the leaves meet the roots) should be at least an inch above the soil. Crown rot can happen really fast, in just a few days, if the crown is buried and the plant is overwatered.
albqlp
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3784328

Thank you everyone. I have never had such a hard time growing things until I moved to New Mexico.
Linda
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #3785359

Check out the SW board for tips on growing here. Try to grow things you see in others yards, not what you used to grow somewhere else and you will be fine! Welcome to NM! It really is the Land of Enchantment. Joyce

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America