Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daturas: Ballerina Blooming in a Small Pot

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 2, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3777932

Hi I just thought I would share this photo of the ballerina double purple I have had for three years. It blooms just fine in a pot that is about quart size. I transplant it into a gallon size later in the spring usually and then overwinter it back in the smaller pot and keep semi dry in the garage (just a few windows) It rarely freezes here but last winter it did. I am going to keep it growing and see how long it will last. The only benefit is that it blooms much sooner than the ones I start from seed each year.

Thumbnail by angel_tree_baby
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2007
1:38 PM

Post #3781304

Wow! Three years is amazing. I love the ballerina datura, they are always so pretty. It's always so funny to see flowers as big or bigger than the actual plant. That happens a lot with brugmansia cuttings that bloom.

Here is a picture of a white ballerina from 2 years ago.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #3782085

X,
I think the flower in that photo was as big as the pot lol. It is really wierd when it gets several on it.
I love your white ballerina! I tried white and I got a very washed out off white/pretty much yellowish white~ I wonder why? Perhaps some variation in temperature or something? Or are the whites just different~ Is there a such thing as cream colored? I had the yellow as well and it was actually yellow not cream...so I am really wondering. This year I am trying some of the larger double white (in big pots lol) but so far they haven't bloomed so I dont know how white they will be. I want mine to be white white like yours!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America