Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Does anyone recognize this flower?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3785931

I found this flower growing among others that came from a packet of seeds titled "wild flowers". I haven't seen anything like it. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it opens up, if it opens up. Anybody have any of these and/or a picture of a mature one?

Thumbnail by vickijackson55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3786472

Definitely some sort of Eschscholzia (California poppy), there are a couple of red/pink/purple ones, hopefully once it opens you'll be able to tell which one.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=eschsholzi&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[genus]=Eschscholzia
GardeningMommy
Farmington, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #3799591

Ditto--definitely an Eschscholzia californica. It's an annual, so what you have is mature. These reseed every year, so you'll be able to see more of them every year! Here's a picture one from my yard that I took recently. I scattered a packet of mixed colors, so I've got lots of variety, including some like yours. I don't know the specific cultivar though, sorry.

Thumbnail by GardeningMommy

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3800420

There are many types of these that are perennials too--I'm not sure if they would be hardy for you in zone 6, but for Vicki in zone 8 they probably would be. There are some annual types too, if we can get a picture of it once the bloom opens maybe we can figure out which one this is and know whether it'll be a perennial or not.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 6:37 AM
GardeningMommy
Farmington, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #3800808

I had no idea these come as perennials. Thanks for the clarification, ecrane. I hate leading anyone astray!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3801870

I think it's a common misconception that they're annuals--I used to think that too until I started collecting CA native plants for my garden. I'd always loved the look of the poppies but since I hate annuals I never considered them. Then I went to a nursery and found there were a few kinds were labelled as annuals but most of them were perennials and I was so excited! I'm still not sure which sort Vicki has--most of the pink/purple ones that I've bought in the past have been the perennial sort so hopefully that's what hers is. In zone 6 they'll probably all be annuals though :-(
GardeningMommy
Farmington, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3803980

Yeah, I'm sure something that thrives in California is bound to be an annual here. But since it reseeds, it may as well be a perennial! That's just the kind of annual that I'm looking for.
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3821072

Thanks to you who answered. The flower has bloomed, and pretty flower it is, not ugly weed.

Thumbnail by vickijackson55

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3821648

The one in PF that looks most like it is 'Red Chief', I'm sure there are other reddish orange ones that don't have pics in there though.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56583/
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #3822328

Our annual poppies die from the heat in the summer and never ever come back again...unless we plant seed again the late fall...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America