Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: She's baaack! The psycho bees Part III

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 7, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3786520

I got her back! The itallian queen that took off with half my hive showed up again today and all by my self, I went out and stuffed her back in a hive. I am still shaking. She only had about a thousand of her workers left, so we'll see what happens. This is it though. If she leaves again, I'm not going after her. (Well, at least I say that now...)

Can't wait till the husband gets home and see's what I did...BY MY SELF! Me, who is afraid of bees. This will impress him much more than the powdered sugar doughnut I brought him.

I am woman, hear me BUZZZ!
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3787351

ROTFLATO! Kudos!!!! Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3787970

I had to go out a second time and dump them in the box. Evidentaly, I missed the queen the first time and they all were back on the branch an hour later. The bee suit is too big and the hat falls over my eyes, so evidentally I couldn't see if she went in or not. Or maybe she just crawled back out, I have to remember who I'm dealing with here. Anyway, back in the bee suit and out to the tree. I spritzed the hive with lemon pledge (I heard this was supposed to make it more appealing) and took all the frames out and shook them in again, then put everything back together again. They had their little butts in the air and were fanning like crazy, so I knew I had her this time (still couldn't see through the hat to find the queen).

When the Husband came home, he was duly impressed and after he ate his doughnut, we went out to move the hive to the stand. We peeked inside and there were TWICE as many bees as I put in there! There must have been more on annother branch or in the air, because every frame was filled with bees drawing out comb. Now everyone is all tucked in with food and hopefully she will give us annother strong hive.

Hmmm, I only wanted one, now I have three. Well, this way I have a better chance of having at least one hive next Spring. And if they all make it, I'll just have to start someone else out with bees. (Why should I be the only one having all this fun!)
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3803313

That is one wild bee.
I like to think that if I were a queen bee that I also would take advantage of my status to see the world.

I suspect that my one laissez-faire hive swarms all the time but I never see them ...
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3803886

I hope you get to see it next time. It is facinating! I also got to witness a mateing flight last month. We've only been at this since May and I've realy enjoyed the bees. Today in the pool (I use the term loosely, it's plastic and inflates) the bees were landing on me to get to the water.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #3803891

They're like the most sophisticated of insects yet will drown in a quarter-inch of water with gravel nearby. THAT part makes me crazy!
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2007
4:21 AM

Post #3803898

Hmm. Ever notice how they behave a bit like men? They won't stay home and they drink till they drown?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
9:46 AM

Post #3819340

Actually, kinda reminds me of myself ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America