Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Suggestion box

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 42, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 28, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3787514

I enjoy looking at Dave's 'Bloom of the day'. It's excitng to see something new on a daily basis.

It might be nice to try and make an arrangement using Dave's 'Bloom of the day' flower sometimes!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2007 11:39 AM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2007
8:55 AM

Post #3791698

Echinopsis

Have you seen the 'bloom of the day' today, I love that flower. Has anyone grown ,or used it in an
arrangement before?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #3802666

When my arrangements have faded, I like to make other things with the petals.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3802692

side view

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3802806

Wowie Terri, that's is soooooooo cool! You are too much! The wheat is a nice touch too.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3802945

Thanks for saying, I hate to throw away my flowers , it just keeps them going a bit longer in water.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 1, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3802962

I get carried away...LoL!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 2, 2007
8:14 AM

Post #3808494

Has anyone seen the 'bloom of the day ' today? It's blackeyed susan and I love that flower. Has anyone got one? I
would like to see an arrangement using it.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3814115

I can't find the bloom of the day, but rudbeckia is one of my favorite fillers. Just starting to open now here.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3818329

Has anyone see the Iris today? if you have any please let me see!!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3819068

TerriC, post a link to that bloom of the day would you? I don't have time to hunt for it, but would like to see it/them.

How about this for a suggestion? Verticals and fillers. What are your favorites and let's see them. E.g. Gladiolus, liatris, snapdragons, spikey foliage ( I use crocosmia leaves and grasses a lot.)

My favorite filler is Artemesia lactiflora ghizou. There is a woeful lack of online photos. I'm trying to get one while it's at its peak. Great maroon/green foliage and spikes of tight ball-like florets on tall spikes like astilbe only lasts longer and is more intriguing, to me. Here is a very bad photo of artemesia ghizou to the right and to the left. Looks like unopened Baby's Breath only better stems and a less ungainly plant and the dark stems are a plus. Sorry, I was in a real hurry this a.m. to take the photo... Will try to get a better one in the next few days.

What plants do you like for vertical interest in your vases?

Thumbnail by Poochella

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3819630

Pooch, Artemesia lactiflora ghizou looks like a nicer filler. Is there a common name for it...it sounds exhausting to pronounce. Everytime I look at garden assortments like yours, I want to cry, because I don't have much. They are so beautiful. Do you have 3 dahlias in that arrangement? I love the pale pink one on top (if that's a dahlia). I had bought some dahlia tubers on clearance and out of the 7, only 3 made it. One of them has buds, but I'm not sure how long it will take before they flower. I can't wait to see it.

For vertical interest, I love spiky foliage (esp variegated), branches (curly willow, flowering branches like forsythia and fruit), and tall grasses. I will try putting together one this week.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3819730

Hi poochella, what a beauitful selection of flowers you have, hiding away in your garden all this time.LoL!
I think that's a great idea,verticals and fillers, start a new thread with your first display and I will be happy to
join in.Most of my Dahlias the slugs enjoyed this year,only got a tiny one left! I love that coneflower you have and what is that above it,a red flower?
Thanks for suggesting something! I'm sorry but I don't know how to do the link thing, maybe someone else could do
it for us please?
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3822887

Bottom of page > blooms.com > bloom of the day!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #3824188

Thanks Grammy. I did find the Blooms of the Day in DG newsletter which arrived this a.m., but now I know where to find them daily. Love the rudbeckia.

I have to apologize for the blur of the photo: I was rushing out the door to get to work and had no time to shoot a better photo, no presence of mind to take the camera with me to work with the bouquet!

There were about 8 dahlias in there, some on the other side.
The red/yellow tipped flower above the coneflower is alstromeria, seen below. Don't know the variety, it came in a swap. About 3 ft tall.

Thumbnail by Poochella

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 7, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3826617

I'm looking forward to the verticals and fillers, I seem to have quite a few tall things going on at the moment.Can you explain what you mean by fillers please?

Have you seen the Iris today? I love that colour,and it's such a delicate looking flower.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 2:03 AM
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3826680

Is it already a new bloom of the day. It's still Aug 6 here...and I missed the magnolia, which is Louisiana's state flower. Those trees are everywhere...I meant to look out for some around the neighborhood. Beautiful bloom of the day...the iris.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3828465

Beautiful bloom o' the day: looks sprinkled in fairy dust.

Terri, I would define fillers as not-so-significant foliage or small blooms that fill out a bouquet between the main focal flowers. Examples would be threadleaf coreopsis, asters, mums (unless they're those gigantic main-event mums) boltonia, baby's breath etc etc.

Here is a photo of artemesia lactiflora ghizou and let's just call it 'artemesia' for short! I like it much better than baby's breath: great stems with the bonus of burgundy color, durable blooms that hold up much better than baby's breath for me.
The low growing maroony/green foliage and stalks- sorry about the slug bites!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/artemesiafoliageclose.jpg
And the flower is below:

Thumbnail by Poochella

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 9, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #3835240

Pooch, I like that artemesia, looks great much better than gyp with firmer stems, thanks for showing
it. I will look out for it at the florists next time.

Have you seen the Canna today, I love them! Yardqueen has a whole orchard of them it's fab .LoL!
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
6:25 AM

Post #3835485

You're welcome on the artemesia photo. It really is one of my favorite 'little white stuff' to grow. Hey! It's tomorrow already according to DG's iris of the day. I'm way behind LOL I did see the stunning orange canna from August 8th- they are awfully beautiful aren't they?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 12, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3846036

I don't know if Dave does requests, but I asked for more Canna's!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3849909

Suggestions for new threads...

verticals and fillers

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 2:06 AM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 10, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3956624

Poochella, I was looking forward to your verticals and fillers, hope you don't mind me asking, but when you get
time will you still make one for us please?
Donna_M

(Zone 3a)

September 15, 2007
8:04 AM

Post #3977243

Hi All

I was excited to read that someone else loves artemesia lactaflora for arrangements-- it is quite unique without being a "show off" in an arrangement. Am growing this in my garden for the first time this year & really hope it will winter over.

Karmaplace, the common name for it is "mugwort"... hardly a name worthy of such a lovely, under-appreciated plant.

I've spent the past hour+ reading through some long threads & admiring all the creative & beautiful contributions. You are all so talented & inspired! Thanks for sharing your art!

Donna
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 15, 2007
9:48 AM

Post #3977285

Ewww, mugwort. Thanks Donna.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 15, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3978148

Thankyou Donna and welcome!
Donna_M

(Zone 3a)

September 17, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3983783

Thank you, Terri!

I just took a riotous romp through your Garden Diary (gosh, it felt a bit like I was "snooping"), but what a remarkable variety of talent, skill & imagination you've demonstrated. And I love your sense of humour & whimsy!

I cannot believe the costs you have listed for some of your floral purchases! Cut flowers are very dear here & this greatly increases my motivation to grow some (most) of my own. A single gerbera daisy will generally cost $3+ and a bunch of roses & carnations such as you showed in your Diary would start @ $20 (price goes up from there if they're still alive, LOL). It doesn't seem to matter the time of year, the prices are always high-- probably imported from U.S. & fuel costs are high. When you consider that min. wage here is about $7.50/hr it's shocking to think that someone might have to work 3 hours to buy that bouquet. (Sorry, I'm off topic)

As I noted on another thread, there's a problem with my computer (as well as the operator!! LOL) so won't be posting any pics for awhile. I'm a bit of a clumper @ arranging compared with the likes of you folks who post on this site but will join in anyway as soon as I'm able. Floral arranging is such a peaceful pasttime for me.

I hope you had a pleasant weekend. Bye bye for now.

Donna
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3987400

Terri, I'm sorry to let you down, but the time is long past for any verticals or fillers, I think. My heart just isn't in it. I am pretty much committed from May thru November to caring for way too many dahlias- a one trick pony, I'm afraid.

I am a confirmed clumper LOL when it comes to arranging flowers. If it can't look good with me just plopping it in a vase, it's just not going to happen here. I have no time to spare between the gardens and regular work and life in general.

I had a few brilliant glads, white and lavender liatris, the mugwort, gypsophyla pacifica in lavender, snaps, some veronica, lobelia and nepeta and don't even care if they all live or die at this point LOL. Sorry!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2007
9:19 AM

Post #3992160

Poochella, do you sell dahlias? Or just for your own pleasure? I love all the different dahlias you have in the dahlia forum. They are SO beautiful.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 19, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3994270

Poochella, you sound very down, hope everything is ok. It is always nice to hear from you so please call in whenever you have the time.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4000476

No, I'm not down at all: I'm dog tired! I sell my dahlias to florists and I really ought to take my camera to show you the wonderful things they do with them. It is really a treat for me to see their talents at work with my flowers, but my talents are in the garden and I hope to keep it that way for a few years!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 21, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #4001122

Poochella, I would love to see what the florists do with them!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 19, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #4101700

me too! Poochella, please try to take your camera next time , it would be great to see what they do with dahlia's.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 22, 2007
4:09 AM

Post #4109332

Traci, seeing as you love Hydranga's, check out the 'bloom of the day'
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #4111432

My favorite flowers are hydrangeas too. The bloom of the day is gorgeous. . . I don't have that one.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 26, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #4126908

I suggest that you all come to the FLOWERPOT cafe' to have a cuppa!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 8, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4172668

They have turned the christmas lights on in Oxford street, so it must be nearly time!
Do we have any suggestions for 'christmas' themes?
Everyone will be decorating their homes this christmas and it would be nice to share ideas, even if you haven't made it yourself.!
Here's one of my theme suggestions... 'Christmas trees'?
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #4174030

Yes yes yes yes yes yes on the christmas trees. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE christmas trees! I want to make you an ornament terri. . .what's your favorite color or do you have a theme tree?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 9, 2007
5:19 AM

Post #4174251

I'm happy you like the idea! I'm hoping all the cut flower forum members are going to like it too!
Any other suggestions would be welcome!
pupilpropogtr
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #4181063

I like Christmas, but also like the find it in your yard. Also, I think naughty chairs should be one. Everyone seems excited about it.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 8, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #4374680

Did anyone see the lovely Vibernum in Bloom of the day, yesterday?
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #4380967

Where's the bloom of the day thread at, please.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 9, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #4381373

Hi Star, if you scroll down on this page right to the bottom... it says ' Bloom.com' that's it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America