Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Wildlife Gardening: Attracting Birds

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Desperado25
Oakley, CA

July 29, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3790651

Can anyone give me some ideas for easy-to-grow plants that will attract birds in a residential area? I have a few that attract some little birds, but i'd like to see more and more of a variety.
terryr
Bureau County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3791125

I prefer indigenous plants, so with that in mind, here's a link to Native CA plants that attract birds to your garden
http://www.cnps-slo.org/Documents/BirdsFlowerHandout.pdf

I like indigenous plants because they're meant to be there, therefore they're easy to grow. They're already acclimated to your climate and to your soil. You just need to find out which species are better suited to your location there in CA.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3980300

Black Eyed Susans do well. Anything seed producing, Red Hot Pokers, Rudbeckias, Hollies, BeautyBerry Bush.

rebecca30
jcpaul
Alexandria, MN
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4087437

Hi from Minnesota! One of the best things for me was to add a bird bath. That attracted more birds than even feeders have in the past. You need to change it out every couple of days so the water remains fresh but I've found that I get more variety and migrating birds just by maintaining fresh water. Also have several berry bushes in my yard -- wild chokecherry & dogwood.
amygirl
Miami, FL

November 8, 2007
10:35 AM

Post #4170554

I agree that bird baths are very important to attract birds, especially during your dry season. For the seed eating birds you could even buy some birdseed, plant some of the seeds and let them sprout, grow, and produce seeds on the plants which the birds can feed on the natural way, instead of feeders. I live in south Florida and I do have a bird feeder that I use from November through May (our dry season). I use bird seed with millet as the beautiful Painted Buntings feed on this seed. I also plant some of the millet and they grow very quickly. It is fun to watch the birds feeding on the millet seed heads on the plants.
Equilibrium

November 16, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4198703

You wanted ideas for easy to grow plants for your area of CA so you might want to call these people on the phone-
http://www.laspilitas.com/

They are real good sports about sharing information. Their website is chalk full of information too if you have time to poke around.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America