you know you live in the country when:

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

you are coming home from Sunday services and you see someones renegade 200 lb hog trying to cross the road....with the owner no where in sight.

I wish I would have had my camera. I am still chuckling.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, yep that's country! And aren't you glad of it?

Lana

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

yep, sure am! I still see that pink piggy rear end waddling back and forth..

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

ROFL, as I read your description I could see it wiggling in my head. Have seen that sight before :~D

Lana

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

ha, so you know what I mean...

Lana, are you going to make the KYRU this year?

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I am soooo hoping to, Lisa, but finances are super tight so depends on money when it comes time for the RU. I really want to meet you and Jo and...well, everyone! I will try try try to be there.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I wish your neighbors good luck trying to catch their hog.. Nothing harder to catch than a pig that wants to eat everything in sight.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

that is funny!

KJO, will you still be able to make the RU>

Lana, I do hope a way is provided for you to make it. I'll be praying for it!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just another day in the neighborhood around here....*snort*...

I DO hope ya'll can make it to Roundup though!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Last week, I was leaving home, and rounded the corner by my house and met a horse head on. It's a blind corner because of tall weeds and stuff growing there. He was galloping in the opposite direction and we got to the corner at the same time. He was as surprised as I was. We both swerved in the right directions fortunately, so nobody was hurt. He had escaped from one of our neighbors fence down the road, and was making his get-a-way. Yep, living in the country , isn't it great ! Love it.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, at least the horse had the sense to swerve, too.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

You know you live in the country when : you have to add 15 extra min to the trip to town at harvest and planting time,all the huge tractors that take both sides of the road.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Mercy... If LISA PRAYS for it....Its gonna Happen.. shes got a Hotline!!!

LOL

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I hope so Dusty cause I want to go really bad :~)

Lana

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

ha! well ladies, I don't know 'bout all that..grin

Lana, I want you to be able to make it really bad too...

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

You know you live in the country when the being making the noise on the back porch is a heifer that desperately wants you to put her back in the pasture with her friends

when there's a two semi four car parade going by behind either a tractor and implement (depending on the season) or an Amish buggy

when all the lawn ornaments are either John Deere green or New Holland red and the lawn furniture most resembles hay bales (gotta do something about that one)

when your alarm clock is the twin calves tied to the posts on the lean-to "serenading" you at 4:30 AM

when you know exactly how much rain hasn't fallen in the last month and how much hay isn't in the barn, but you have no idea what's happening outside of the neighborhood

when you need to line up at least two people to replace the boss and two more to check up on them so you can COME TO ROUND-UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it's pretty much arranged and God willing and the creek don't rise (although it would be nice if there was SOME water in the creek by then), we will be there for at least part of the day on Saturday - sorry, you have to realize that you will be nibbling into quality grandchild time there. As Shoe would say, "Yeehaw!"

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I do need to start getting more planning done for the Roundup! I asked for the time off at work and that's the big thing..

Xenia, OH

You know you live on a farm when: Your father-in-law calls you every time it sprinkles to check the rain gauge!!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

......when you've had turkeys for a good while and when you visit your closest neighbor he asks "Have you seen these wild turkeys running around here?"

.....when you come home from work and your yard has 6" deep hoof prints through it and your ornamental grasses have been mowed down by an escaped cow.

.....when you can look out any window in the house and see some sort of livestock.

.....when the thing that irritates you the most is that the guy who owns the land next to yours won't mow his pastures and every year the thistle goes to seed and blows on to your place.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

......when I opened my kitchen door to let my small dog out and had 70 head of cattle stampede through my car-port at full throttle!!

Farmer Jackson latter apologized for his cows getting loose. No big deal - that was the highlight of my week. Fortunately, my dog had enough sense to jump back into the kitchen!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, Glenda, did they leave you any fertilizer for you flowers?

Lana

Sumner, IA(Zone 4b)

When the biggest practical joke around is after a brief sprinkle adding more water to the neighbors rain gauge and watching him go to town telling everyone that HE got 1 1/2" of rain and everyone else only got 1/8"!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Lana,
No, they didn't. It would have been the least they could do, but apparently, cattle do not "go potty" while stampeding.

After the stampede, though, I did feel the urge to break out in a chorus of "Green Acres..." LOL

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

In our county the herds of cattle are diven down the state highways and county roads. The ramps on to and off of the interstate have cattle guards built in because the cattle go over the overpasses. And they leave a lot of fertilizer on the roads, so if your car has green splatters on it everyone in town will know there was a herd of cows on the road going from one pasture to another. The cows were here first, highways came later, and since moving large herds of cattle is so common here, the highway department put in the cattle guards to keep the cows off the interstate. It works, but looks kinda funny when traveling down the interstate and having a herd of cattle above you.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

The other morning one of our neighbors woke up to find a buffalo laying in their front yard. There's a guy a couple miles down the road that raises them, and this one got out at some time and has been having a grand old time just wandering around. They couldn't find him until he chose to bed down in front of a picture window and sleep late. LOL

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Karen, that is fraggin hilarious! I'm gonna have to do that to my neighbor!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I just rediscovered the Farm Life forum at 10:30 last night and was up until 4:00 a.m. reading all the threads about Lisa's grand adventure. WOW! I laughed, I cried, I woke up and read the last installments and laughed and cried some more.

And now I can't quit singing this old Hymn:

Tempted and tried will oft' me to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long;
While there are others living about us,
Never molested, though in the wrong.

Farther along we'll know more about it.
Farther along we'll understand why;
Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine
We'll understand it all by and by.

When death has come and taken our loved ones
Leaving our homes so lonely and drear;
Then do we wonder how others prosper
Living so wicked year after year.

Often I wonder why I must journey
Over a road so rugged and steep;
While there are others living in comfort,
While with the lost I labor and weep.

We'll understand it all by and by

Faithful 'til death, said our loving Master,
A few more days labor and wait;
Toils of the road will then be as nothing,
As we sweep through the beautiful gates.

When we see Jesus coming in glory;
When He comes from His home in the sky;
Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion.

We'll understand it all by and by

I'll never on earth understand but it is obvious God had a plan for you and your family and that included your hardships and trials and your blessings. No story has ever shown this more than your exodus and His hand in providing for you.

Drat, I'm getting all teary eyed again! But I'll understand it all by and by!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Amen!

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

We have neighbors raising buffalo and they have real high fences! I wouldn't think buffalo were jumpers!

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Amen Zanymuse! ;)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

No, I don't think buffalo are jumpers, but if they get to fighting they can wipe out a section of fence real fast. Especially if it's not a real good fence to begin with. That's the case with our neighbor that has buffalo.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Just foudn this thread too and it so funny. can't sip coffee and laugh at the same time.

I knew I was really in the country when I opened the door to go to the car and found a heard of goats all around it and big one giving me the evil eye and you stand there stunned hollering into the house that there are goats in the yard and the holler back is your crazy, that just the neighbor cows. You haven;t seen a goat up close since ya was little many many years years ago and so you stop and question your sanity and hunt through your brain for physical discriptions again, realize your right and holler back, there really is goats in the yard and you can hear the mumblings of the holler coming back that your crazy til they come out and say well I'll be danged them is goats. Then you stand there looking stuipd for a half hour tryign to figure out how to catch and roundup a heard of goats.

Country living sure can be hard on a person, but it can have some hairy raising experiences for city slickers and good chuckles for the farmers. : ) Ya just gotta stop and take a moment everyday to say a prayer and thankfulnes s that their are farmers willign to go through it all and provide food and clothing for us. God Bles s our farmers.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You know you live in the country when:

Deer crossing signs are replaced with cattle crossing signs.

The school bus is late because someone's cow was blocking the road.

The rooster you hear is NOT coming from a clock or the TV.

Yield signs are replaced with tractor signs.

You have to go outside to feed and water things BEFORE you get your coffee.

No one notices or cares if you are outside in your pajamas.

You see the neighbor kids walking calves on leads, instead of dogs.

You rarely see a push mower.

People use 4 wheelers as lawn mowers, means of transportation and for spraying weeds.

Everyone honks and waves.

People actually stop to ask what you are growing if it's not corn or soy beans.

Most don't believe daylilies come in other colors and not just orange!

And finally, you don't dare touch a fence, let alone climb it until you know how many volts of electric are running through it!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

hmmm, sounds like someone had a shocking experience!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ha! Not just yet but I won't say never. LOL

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

When my X had a medical procedure done, the doc said, "now that didn't hurt much did it?" He answered "not any worse than peeing on an electric fence" Poor Doc was a city slicker and didn't have the faintest idea what my X was talking about!

Buffalo, TX(Zone 8b)

I learned the hard way not to water the garden 'til I turn off the electric fence. Water sure is a good conductor of electricity. My DH thought it was hysterical and was ROTFL.
You know you live in the country when:
If you miss church on Sunday, you better be sick, cuz somebody is coming over to bring food to those able to eat. The preacher will drive by before evening service to see if you are going to feel like attending. Prayer will be requested on your behalf. The phone will ring and ring until all of the congregation made up of only about ten different last names has called to "check" on you.

If you are going out of town the neighbors will feed your chickens and of course gather the eggs (you told 'em already to keep them) and make sure to check on your cows lest they should get out. If the greens need picking they'll get a mess for supper at your request of course. Of course they'll ask prayer for your safe travel at church so everyone will know they don't need to "check" on you.

If you hear loud voices or shots fired it is not a fight. It's a hunter, or someone shooting a snake and the voices could be something like "you get the gate, I'll run'em in".

If you have unusual flowers blooming the neighbors will comment on them and you will offer cuttings or seed. They'll bring you something for your "trouble" just because they want to.

I sure do love the country!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We "moved to the country" exactly 2 years ago this past Tuesday! We'd do it again. I can't imagine ever going back to my 1/4 acre suburban lot! I CAN imagine buying more acres. LOL

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Badseed You sound like you found those acres are habit forming if ya got a few you always want more (:

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, it looked huge before we signed the papers. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images