My Daughter has become a Bow Hunter!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Here she is with her first Kill! She couldnt quit grinning! She didnt like the big gun though so she decided to try the bow instead!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 11:02 AM

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

First you have to go shopping and what young woman wouldnt want a beautiful camo suit?

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Second kill at the hunting lodge in Georgia, this was a big 'ole Hog!!
The kids are really giving him the once over!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great.
I have been hunting for quite a few years, but took up a bow 3 years ago.
It is much harder to hunt with a bow. It has also made me a better gun hunter.
Looks like she worked hard to have such sucess.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Good for your daughter! I've been hunting with hubby for 25 years. Took up bow hunting about 15 years ago and just love it. Looks like it won't be long before she'll be taking those young'uns with her. That's a blast too. Hubby and I take turns taking our two grandkids now and it really adds a lot of fun to it. Grandson is getting a bow from us for his birthday this year. He's already a good shot and loves target practice.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Great shots! I have been hunting for many years as well, but find it difficult to use a bow. The gun works best for me, but I admire a woman that can use a bow! :D

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Yep she is a Winner alright! She tried to get me to "target" practice with her . Toooooooooooooooooooooofunny! I couldnt even pull the string back! Her upper arm strength is fantastic!
Heres my Grandson with his first kill! He was walking with his Mom and a snake was on a low branch over her head! He just reacted and shot the snake from from the tree! Every one was amazed at his 5 year old accuracy! But he quickly got a lesson on good kills and bad kills and what to leave to nature, Plus safety first shots!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good for Him! :D Proper training is key. I know that you're very prowd. :) My son really enjoys bow hunting (18 yrs. old) & is quite successful. He loves hunting so much that I haven't the need to go much any more...fills the freezer.
Is boar meat tastey? There is some boar hunting here, but not in this county & I've heard that they are quite "mean" & difficult to hunt.

Joey

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Joey I havent tasted boar since I was a young girl.... waaaaaaaaaaaaay back there! All I remember is I didnt like it! So Strong tasting! But Grandma would take it and soak the meat in vinegar and salt water, then put it in a covered roaster in the oven. then it was very good!
As far as hunting boar in the wild here, not many I know do it any longer! You have to be raised up in the Boogey woods and know where you are and how to get out again..Quick!! LOL! Especially if you miss your shot at an old Bo' Hog!
The Kill you saw in the previous photo was done at a hunting lodge here in Georgia, and with professional hunters along.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Eufaula, I have heard tales about getting out quick! :D I have heard that the boars will chase you up trees! :D There's a hunting lodge here that have boar, which is a popular thing to hunt and those bad boys are Monsters! The guys that run it go to the local fish hatchery to get fish parts (after harvesting) & the boars Love that stinky stuff! So they are extremely healthy! But in the southern part of the state (coal mine country) they are wild & from what I here....Very Wild! :D

(Phyllis) Flint,, TX(Zone 7b)

Congratulations to your daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to see younger girls finding the joy of hunting.
I know for me back in Illinois were we moved from I was pretty much the only female out hunting in the area and the guys sure gave me a hard time when I got my first deer and gutted it.
It's not much different then cleaning a chicken or fish other then it is warm inside. *laughs*
She did pick out the best camo suit and boots right with scentlock in it? *smile*

Now hubby and I just have to find a place to go in east Texas to hunt and what the laws and guidelines are.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I fixed the last of the loins out of the freezer on Sunday. There was just enough for DH to take a nice lunch of sliced tenderloin, mashed redskin potatoes and brocolli for his lunch yesterday at work.
All the guys were drooling over his lunch.
They always try to out macho each other every chance they get.
One guy had to tease...and said...oh it is probably just doe meat...DH said "worse than that, it is doe meat that my wife got with her bow"

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Mibus,
I think things are much easier for us lady hunters now. When I first started going with hubby 25 years ago, there were still an awful lot of guys who didn't appreciate having me in the camp. But I fell in love with hunting so they just had to get used to me, LOL! Hey cpart, it is fun when you get to claim the kill isn't it? It's funny how many people come to our house for the first time and compliment my hubby on "that nice buck you got hanging on the wall." He gets a laugh out of it every time when he tells them, "That's my wifes buck."

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have only been hunting for 11 years. But still people do think it is a guy thing. I see more and more women hunting though. Our paper is full of women of all ages with thier prize, a doe or nice buck.
I really enjoy the woods. I love watching the wildlife and the deer. I love scouting all year round. It is a just a bonus to able to bring one home.

Yes it is getting easier even though we do have those that are still thinking in the "old ways"
I have to agree I enjoy watching everything come alive in the mornings at the crack of dawn even if I don't' get a deer.
And I was able to rub it in when one of the guys came to me and asked if I had seen the deer hit shot he couldn't' find any trail so I helped him look and sure enough I found the trail and the deer not him.
I may not have been able to go out and scout around all year to find where I wanted my stand but I usually picked a better spot then what they guys would have picked. lol

We just have to find out where to hunt down here in Texas now and hubby already has his shot gun permits for back in Illinois so he is planning on going back for one last hunt this fall with the guys ...he put in for them before we put the house up for sale and decided to move to Texas.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

ROFLMBO! That left that guy with egg on his face! I've read two articles about what great scouting partners a man and a woman make. Seems the guys are more apt to pay attention to where they are and the women are very good at paying attention to all the sign. Hubby agreed with it. There have been so many times out in the woods where he's following a trail (him in the lead and me following him) and I will say, "Hey, look at that rub, scrape, droppings, whatever." He used to turn around and say, "What rub, scrape, droppings?" Now he just turns around and comes back to look. Also, if I come back to camp and tell him I have a good spot for him, he used to doubt me. Now he just grabs a climbing stand and says, "Lead on." I've put him on some real good spots. BUT, he's a good scout in his own right too. But he really enjoys telling all the guys at camp that his wife is the really good hunter in the family.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

My husband supports me too. He likes to roam around in the woods, while I sit in one place. He can sneak up on deer pretty well.
He is happy to have a wife as a hunting buddy. (fishing buddy too)
He can cut and split wood by himself though.

Oh so very true women pay more attention to detail then guys do ..why do ya think we know where they put their car keys or wallet and they don't LOL.
It was funny cause he had walked past it twice and it was maybe 50 ft away from where his stand was.

I love to fish too but haven't had a chance to go out since moving here yet. I did get to go out a few times when we were in TN at the brother in laws place but I have to be careful as he jokingly warned me I might not be able to come back since I seem to catch the first fish when we went out then the most fish (included ones I threw back ) and I caught the biggest fish....hubby still has trouble "tying" a swivel snap on his line the right way...what can I say I grew up fishing he has hunted for years so we balance out LOL

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

My hubby is very happy to have me as his hunting partner. He knows most of the guys play that old game of: "What'd you see today?" "Oh, nothing." Or, "Where'd you kill that nice buck?" "Out in the woods." Whereas I share everything with him. Now that we've been at it for 24+ years, we usually split up so we can cover more ground when we're scouting. He jokingly tells folks I can't divorce him cause he probably couldn't find another hunting buddy as good as me. I think more women would hunt if their hubbys were more supportive and willing the share the experience with them.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is fun when there is someone supporting you and rooting you on.
At first I wanted to get a deer to make him proud, that lasted about a year. Now I do it because I want to for myself.

Savannah, GA

I just got my first hog last week! I used my 30-30 with the new hornady leverelvolution ammo and it worked great, nice quick kill with a head shot.

We put the meat in ice for a few days, froze some, and cooked some shoulder. It was not the least bit gamey. While it wasn't tough, it wasn't really tender either but I probably could have cooked it longer, I didn't want it to dry out. I will do the tenderloin this weekend.

There are a lot of hogs that need removing at the lease, hopefully I will get more chances for hogs. I also would like to bowhunt but I'm kind of put off by the expense. I may try it later on though.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am a nearly sixty year old female bowhunter that hunts when the Rhematoid allows me to get in a tree. You do not have to be strong to pull back a bow. Many woman are discouraged when they pick up bows that are not suited to them by size or pull weight. When they cannot pull them back they think I can't bow hunt. I find the tree climbing more of difficulty. Here the deer know to look up for hunters so you must use a climber or lock on stands with ladders to get high.

Congratulations to your daughter . We need more female hunters. Hopefully she will pass the sport down to her children. Nothing better than spending time with your children in nature.

Wow that 5 year old is amazing. He will probably be shooting competition with that kind of talent.

Savannah, GA

Wow that's awesome! I would like to bowhunt as well but have arthritus in my shoulder, I had surger on my left one which is much better but not as good as new. In the past I was able to pull the string back pretty easy but I was also able to lift weights back then.

The laws are differant and I was considering a cross bow but would rather use something easier to carry and reload.

It seems more expensive than hunting with a rifle. That's whats preventing me from investigating further.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.