Photo by Melody

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Purple Gem Blooming?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sigphibuck
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 4, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3815332

This is my first experience with rhododendrons. I planted 4 purple gems in May. I got them in the nursery after they were done blooming. They have been growing great all summer. Today I noticed a flower opening on one of them. I looked closer at all four and they all have a good number of flowering buds swelling and getting larger. It looks like all four may bloom before fall. Is it common for rhododendrons to flower twice in one season, especially in August?

Thanks

Jason
jesup
Malvern, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3818974

It happens, though not too often, and mostly due to weather conditions, watering, stress, etc. Often they don't really flower well when this happens (if the flowers ever actually open), and then they flower less than normal the next spring.

The other buds might just be normal summer bud-set for next year. some start making new buds within a few weeks of blooming (Boule de Niege is an example).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America