Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: What are these flowers?

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 29, Views: 346
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3815958

These are flowers I bought at the grocery store yesterday...from the "3 bunches for $10." bargain area.
I don't see these growing any any gardens here in Texas, so I guess they are imports...?

Thanks a bunch (of flowers!)

Connie

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 4, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #3815993

They are Delphinium and Alstormera (smaller flowers)
The slugs had mine before they even flowered!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2007
6:22 AM

Post #3815994

Ah...now I remember the name delphinium. They are my favorites from stores...those and gladiolus!

The others...the alstormera... are touted as being able to last 10 days after we get them home or you get your money back!!

Thanks for the info! :)
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #3816272

Those delphiniums are gorgeous Connie. I love your glass vase...they're the perfect height for your arrangement. How many delphiniums were in a bunch? Sounds like a really good price for them. I love alstros too. They have many different colors to choose from and they're really inexpensive. I've had them last for 2 weeks. The leaves fade faster than the flowers so I pinch the leaves off to give the arrangement a few more days. Thanks for sharing Connie, it's beautiful.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3817790

There were 3 delphiniums per celephane bunch, and I think 5 of the alstros in the other celephane. They are usually 3 bunches for 12. but the sale was $2. off!!

I've had the very plain vase for so many years...like about 30! It's about 15 inches high, and seems to work for almost everything! I'm a vase lover, and probably have about 30 that I really use. But perhaps my favorite vases are 2 that hang on my bathroom wall...on nails that came with the vases! (got them at Pottery Barn about 5 years ago). I'll look to see if I have a pic of them.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3818282

OMG...I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to purchase a pair for years at Pottery barn, but for some reason, I never bought them. If you show me a pic, esp with flowers in them, I will probably go put in an order right away! The vase above is very elegant. I think plain vases are great because it doesn't steal the show...it's all about the flowers.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3818704

I looked for the pic of them with flowers, and couldn't find it! I hate to post a pic with them empty, so i"ll look again! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3818742

We don't mind if they are empty, we just want to see your collection, please!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3819017

Yes, yes...please post whether or not they have flowers in them!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3819090

Really? Okay...here is one of the vases in my bathroom...empty! There is another on the other side, but I didn't take a pic of both because my dressing table is messy right now! :*)

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #3819094

And here is the shelf in the pantry for vases...all but the really tall ones
I just noticed that there's a jar there...lol (but little daisies do look cute in a Bell jar...yes?

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
5:00 AM

Post #3819099

And the other side of the shelf

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #3819105

And this is my favorite...because I bought it in Lubbock when I was visiting my daughter one weekend and found it tucked in the back of a store that was using it to store silk flowers!! The price was great for how large it is...the lady said it had been there for years! :)

Thumbnail by Connie_G

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3819573

Excellent Connie! That last vase is so neat. Question, I see how the bunch of glads tapered at the bottom, is there another vase within that vase, or did you make it come together like that somehow? I love that effect. That's my favorite color on the glads...gorgeous. If you have time, we would love to see you in the flower shows!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3824703

Karma...tell me about the "flower shows"...never heard of them! OR give me a link?

The vase is in 2 parts: the metal framework (which is "carved" like a rose stem with little rounded "thorns" included!) is separate for cleaning the vase. And yes, the rounded part of the glass is such that it can't be used separately because of the bottom. The glad stems just came together like that, I guess.

And orange and purple flowers are my fav too!! (plus chartreuse!)--both for cut flowers and those I grow in my garden areas.

I just bought some "black" dahlias and orange ones for my birthday (it's today) because I was having a "pity party" that my husband forgot that today is my day!! Now, he DID buy me a gorgeous, veddy expensive buttery-soft leather coat when we were in Canada last month...so he's not ENTIRELY in the dog house! :)

I'll post pics of the dahlias after I get them arranged in my bathroom in the wall vases!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3826699

Happy Birthday, Connie! Looking forward to seeing your birthday present to yourself. I totally understand...dh forgot mine last year, so this year I bought myself some flowers too. The flower shows are on this forum, please join us...it's been a lot of fun. But we enjoy seeing anything on new threads too! Here are the links:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751393/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/753811/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/753809/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 7, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3826784

'Happy Birthday ' Connie, hope you have a lovely day.Thanks for showing your great vase collection.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by terriculture

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3828431

Happy Birthday Connie! I love your house. And the photo of the big vase with orange glads reminds me that I have a similar vase in a wire frame somewhere. We have 5 cats that pretty much have free range of the house, so I'm always leary of leaving good vases out for them to knock over.

Here are some warm Autumn colors for a warm summer birthday!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/bouquets/Autumnbouquet05.jpg
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3829440

Thanks for the birthday greetings! I received many D-mails with wishes too..wow...what a day!

Here are the flowers I bought for myself (snif-snif) and placed in my bath.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3829447

And a close-up. I didn't realize dahlias had such stocky, stiff stems! And the leaves seem to get stiff and crunchy so fast! Not sure I"ll buy them again.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3829452

And here's another vase I forgot about, as it's always in my tub area. I used the leftovers there and in another vase I put in my DH's bathroom. Can you believe it was on the "final clearance" endcap at TJ Maxx for $6. And I"ve seen a similar one for about $40!!!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by Connie_G

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3829820

Those dahlias are beautiful...please don't give up on them! I love the red orangey dahlia in that red vase. I think I saw it at TJ Maxx, but thought it was toothbrush holder. I remember thinking to myself, who has that many toothbrushes lol! I love TJ Max and Marshalls for vases and home decor things. I bought these ceramic vases at TJ Max too, on clearance at $2 a piece. The small round one was at Lowes at $2 as well.

Off topic-You have my dream bathroom--granite (?) countertop, brushed nickel hardware and beautiful slate (?) tiles. And that gorgeous vanity...to die for! Was that at Pottery Barn? I have to show dh your picture...absolutely beautiful!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3829893

I want your bathroom tile LOL! We have cedar walls and that natural stone look would be perfect when we remodel.

I wonder if you recut the stems and put the dahlias in pretty warm water, if the leaves would revitalize. I don't usually leave too much foliage, if any, on mine. A strong stem is much preferred to a wimpy one that can't hold up the hefty bloom.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3830092

Karma: I LOVE your "set" of the 3 matching vases in different heights. I have a set of moderne "bubble glass" ones I bought at Tuesday Morning that are little boxes and rectangles...in 3 different sizes. I STOLE them! :-) I think 5, 7, and 12 dollars each. I'm going to look to see if I've taken a pic of arrangements in them.

Yes, the countertop is thick granite with a thick beveled edge (they tried to talk me out of it for a bath, but I haven't had a single thing fall on the floor yet!!) and yes, real slate up the wall (just that one) and floors. The item from Pottery Barn (I LOVE that place!) question...do you mean the vanity itself? It was custom made to my directions, as were all the cabs in the house. We bought a "tear down" and gutted much of it...was fun!

Pooch: Be sure when you install slate to pay the extra (exhorbitant it is!!) price to have the tile "enhanced." The finishing glaze does NOT do the same thing. I know bc they FORGOT to enhance my floor pieces, and now it's too late bc the finishing glaze is on. The enhancer injects some type of oily stuff into the porous tile and brings out the color. My walls and floor look like a different color...makes my cry.

I would LOVE the look of cedar walls and slate on the floor...very nice combination! :) Esp. if you choose slate with lots of red ones.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 13, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3853406

I love those ceramic vases Karma, can't wait to see what you use them for!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
9:44 AM

Post #3855066

I will see if I can find something for it. It's 100 degrees down here!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
1:53 PM

Post #3855599

Karma, I"ll bet some tall grasses would be lovely in those 3 vases (modern look). That way the vases would be the focus instead of flowers, and that would be cool.

I love those that the florist places in arrangements nowadays...but don't know what they are...does anyone? Could you just use those "leaves" from "maiden grass / miscanthus sinensis"? (sp?)
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #3857488

Great idea Connie. Are you thinking of bear grass? I googled it and I think the name is Xerophyllum tenax. But maiden grass looks great too.

I will start a new thread on grass. Will be back with a link for you.

Edited to add link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/760076/

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 7:17 PM
Depfcole
Katy, TX

August 28, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3911094

Connie,

Check out your alstroemeria...the leaves grow upside down and twist to bring the right side up to the sun.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3916451

Depfcole: I noticed that the leaves were always kinda twisty, but thought they were just messed up by the shipping!!! How cool!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America