Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Mystique of the Orchid: Nice!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mystique of the Orchid
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mystique of the OrchidReplies: 13, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #3816101

Shari
I like how you demystified the orchid. I too thought it was a high maintenance flower.
Thanks for the great info. Nice writing style!
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2007
11:28 AM

Post #3816191

That image of orchids growing out of old oil barrels, leftover plastic pots, etc. is just great...springing up everywhere in your area. Fun reading.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3816517

Great article Shari!!!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2007
7:43 PM

Post #3817470

Sure enjoyed reading this, Shari. Thanks!

The orchid info is great but so is the way you talk about your personal relationship with how it grows on the island you live on and what the islander's perspective is!
(Would love to hear more about 'life on the island' sometime!)

Thanks for contributing to the new articles feature!

Shoe
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3817511

Thank you for the kind words. I have enjoyed working on this project. Jadajoy - I hope you will now try growing one! So happy to have given you all a smile from Kwaj. Hiya Pep. Shoe - high praise indeed coming from you. I have enjoyed reading so many of your posts!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3817861

Awesome job on the article Shari!

I've always had the same mis-pre-conceptions about orchids too. Not long ago, I found 4 of them on the rescue me aisle at Lowe's for $5 each. I bought them all. Rather than even attempt to revive them myself, I gave them all to Connie so she could rescue them in her greenhouse. I didn't even want to take a chance that I'd give them their final death. They are doing very well now, thanks to this Southeast Texas heat and humidity and her loving care.

Janet
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #3818151

Beautiful pictures! That would be a lovely place to visit--and live.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3818340

Thank you for the comment KyWoods. Janet, the point of the article was to give you the confidence to grow them yourself! Please try again...(smile!)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3818351

I would try but my green thumb is sporatic. LOL
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3818629

Maybe I will, if I can sneak one away from Connie's greenhouse!! Shhhhhh

HAHAHAHAHA

Janet
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
3:36 AM

Post #3818891

Thanks,ever so much Shari,
When reading your article,I feel like I've been on a adventure with you at the wheel!!!
I've tried the orchid plant many times unsuccessful,until just recently,I bought to from Lowes,that were on the death bed,and brought them back to life and now flowering
once again in all there beauty!!!

Don

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 5, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3818953

Shari how beautiful...But where do I get broken coconut bits ...do you think coconut fibre will do the job?...if not -any suggestions...that makes a lot of sense to me ...most of my pots of anything tropical have gravel in the bottom (for drainage and to stop them blowing away in severe wind...next the soil...little cow poo thrown into it for gentle tonic and to hold the moisture...then some mulch on top...that all works.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
4:33 AM

Post #3819038

My sister has one that never bloomed again--I keep telling her it needs more light. She has that and an african violet in a corner on the kitchen countertop where the sun from the window can't reach.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3819074

Ours definately like lots of light. So have her move it to a brighter spot. Coconut fiber works fine, but so do pottery shards, broken bricks, smooth pebbles... Use what you have, don't try to do what I do because then you aren't being true to your area. We can figure it out...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mystique of the Orchid Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
tradeing treborelag 1 Aug 4, 2007 8:05 PM
Excellent! LouC 6 Oct 20, 2007 1:42 AM
Getting to know you. : ) valleylynn 1 Apr 6, 2008 10:45 PM
So true! Damaclese 1 Jun 5, 2008 8:10 PM
Vanilla Orchid carolrecio 3 Sep 16, 2009 11:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America