Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: My Best Dat.

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 7, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #3816446

This is the only one to manage keeping her bloom, all the rest are simply melting in the heat, it has been High 90s for a week now, and most of the dats are dying befor they open.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3816722

Don't feel alone .. this has been the worst garden year I've ever had. I gave up on my datura in the front and let them go to seed.

X
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3818298

It is pretty sad to see all the work you do for nothing, my Dats. are burning up and my Brugs too no matter how much I water every night in the morning they are dry as a bone, I am convinced now that i must just let most of them go.
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3927450

That is the same one I have that did so well...just last night I was admiring the eight blooms left to open...and this morning...ONE was on the ground opened fully...the entire plant was stripped of all the leaves and most of the buds...but Hummingbird Moth CATS...three fat CATS on one plant...there was poo all over the place...looked like RABBIT Poo...I had no idea they could do that...WHY??? I thought DATS were poison! Guess not to Cats...huh...(Catterpillars that is..)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3928125

I've seen cats on brugs but never my datura .. thats wierd!

X
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #3928638

picture...grrrrrr!

Thumbnail by JanetS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3928708

They turn into Sphinx Moth's which are huge and beautiful. Here is a link that will tell you about them and how to control them.

http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/hornworm.htm

I usually allow them to eat 1 of my brugs and move the rest on other brugs to the sacrificial brug.

X
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3929456

Yep that is the one I have. That is also why I didn't kill them...I love the moths! LOL I had also moved the one in the picture to a different plant for that reason, only to find the three that devoured it a few days later...I am on the look out now...I have another Dat that is blooming and would like to keep that one intact! LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America