Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daturas: Datura

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 5, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TurtleChi
Danville, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3817599

Hi,
I am new to this plant and would like to know a good place to buy seeds from? I know E-bay but do not know what a good price is for seeds. Thank you for any help. Are these easy to grow? I would be taking about growing next year not this year. Also I have two that someone gave me and one has blooms. Should I take these in for the winter or do they come back up? Sorry so many questions... Thanks.
Susan
bamagirl35973
Cedar Bluff, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #3904386

I'm in the same boat with you, I have no clue. A friend gave me some Double Purple Datura plants that are doing wonderfully. She did tell me to watch for the seed pods but I haven't seen any as of yet.
If no one answers you before I can talk to her, I will get back with you.

Wanda
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2007
4:48 AM

Post #3904480

Datura a generally treated as an annual unless you live in zone 9. I have had some datura make it through the winter outside and bloom the next year .. since they are so easy to grow from seeds, carrying them over is not really worth it, especially in zone 7.

As to finding seeds, check out the seed trade lists and post asking for datura.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trading/all/

Or you can check out plant files for datura .. see who has posted pictures and d-mail them. They also list vendors who have them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=datura&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

X

TurtleChi
Danville, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3905448

Thank you for your help.. Wanda I have pods on my white one and when they are ready to pick I would gladly send you some if you want... I have a plant that has not bloomed yet and I am hoping they will have diffrent color flower.. I dont know as these were given to me as plants... Time will tell...
Can I dig this up and bring into the house for winter?
Nice to meet you all also..
Susan

This message was edited Aug 27, 2007 11:46 AM
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2007
4:04 PM

Post #3905523

You can dig it up and bring it in .. if you have small children or pets though, probably not a good idea since it is poisonous and seed pods left on the plant have a tendency of literally exploding if allowed to dry out too quickly.

X
TurtleChi
Danville, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3906369

No young kids but lots of pets.. I will see if they live or come back then... I was told to put a panty hose over pods when they start turning brown...
Thanks again this is great I love to learn if only I can keep it in my brain..LOLOL
Susan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America