Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: How's your internal compass?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 126, Views: 1,381
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

August 6, 2007
9:50 AM

Post #3823227

There are a total of 443 votes:

It's spot on - I always know which direction I'm facing!
(146 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Just so-so; I know my surroundings, but I can get lost in unfamiliar places
(140 votes, 31%)
Red dot

I frequently need help to get my bearings
(57 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I rarely know (or care!) which direction I'm facing
(83 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Other?
(17 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2007
10:20 AM

Post #3823245

I'm the early bird on this poll!

I generally have a sense of direction, but do get confused at times.

Jeremy
senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3823302

Say what...
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3823308

Quite good when I'm paying attention as a driver or navigator. The only time my sense of direction fails me is when I've been "plopped down" in a new spot, driven by somebody else (e.g. picked up at an airport at night, driven to their home, talking during the drive). I get it into my head that south is north and north is south or something and have a devil of a time talking myself out of it.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
11:40 AM

Post #3823339

I voted for "So so"...

If I'm in unfamiliar territory, I rely on the Sun alot, for general directions! LOL

Sasha
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #3823384

I suppose, that if I were to migrate much greater distances (such as birds & some butterflies, etc.), I may would be a bit concerned with {its} correct functioning - otherwise, everything's honky dory.

It's the external organ failures that can really chunk a monkey wrench into stuff .. along with outside negative factors that toy with my keeping my bearings.

- Magpye
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2007
12:23 PM

Post #3823438

When faced with a choice, I will always go in the wrong direction.

Doesn't matter where I am (subway, country road). When I try to outfox myself but going in the opposite direction I think I should be going - my first choice is correct.

My husband says I don't take direction well.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3823521

I could just quote what ownedbycats said. I am exactly the same. No sense of direction at all. of course, DH is just the opposite, and thinks I'm hysterical. I'm the same inside. Always turn the wrong way getting off elevators, etc. It's sad, really.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3823539

I'm with ownedbycats and grampapa: When coming out of a parking lot, etc, elevator, unfamiliar side-street, etc., I can usually be relied upon to drive gaily off in the opposite direction I should be going. I blame it on the area I live in--they keep moving the landmarks on me.
And don't talk to me about using the sun to orient myself, lol--they keep moving THAT, too!
But there is hope for me; It's called a "GPS" and I have one in my car!
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3823612

Verizon Navigator! Before I had that, I'd stop every hour or so at a gas station and make sure I was headed in the right direction. Maps work too, mostly, but I like the reassurance of other people and the gps system.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #3823637

Hawaii has a different way of giving directions. It's always, Mauka, Makai, Ewa, Diamond Head. Depending on where you are you could be going Makai but that may be north, east, south, or west. Since moving up here I still don't know which way I'm going.
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3823780

LeSnow: that's funny!

I could pretty much find my way around if I was to become lost. It' a Girl Scout thing, I guess.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3823889

I was in high school and teacher teach about compass as there is riddle!

"As crow fly goes as crooky road goes."

I follow the direction where I going. Like where Sun goes...

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2007
3:29 PM

Post #3824100

The thing I do best is turn around and go in the other direction! Luckily my big car has a compass but my minivan and I can get lost very easily. I'm retired now so it is all good!
guardians
Thomson, GA

August 6, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #3824115

It has been a family joke since my kids were small that I have the world's WORSE sense of direction. I know how to get around town and can drive cross country with a map or mapping software directions, but if distracted for just a second (like answering a cell phone call!!) and miss a turn, I am so lost. If the sun is shining and it's not high noon, I can usually figure out N/S/E/W - heaven help me if it's cloudy or lunch time! I love my new cell phone, it has Mapquest service, which if I have a signal and can find a street number I can usually get myself going in the right direction again. Use to take my laptop and have to find a wireless connection, which often drove me miles out of my way. I travel between 150-200 miles everyday, so I don't get too bent out of shape about one or two wrongs turns, it's to be expected!
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3824134

My sense of direction is ok. If I ever get lost, I just look for an old barn.
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3824140

Ooh, I can't wait to hear what DonShire comes up with for this one!
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3824158

If someone tells me to go east that means turn right. I somehow think east on always on the right no matter which may I'm facing lol. Now if they tell me to turn right at the pink building no problem. I have no sense of direction in unfamiliar places.(east is always on the right). Thank goodness my car has a navagation system.
Linda

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3824178

Almost never get lost. If I'm with a tour, I'm the one that gets the group back to where we belong. Have always been able to do this and it came as a great surprise to me that my sister couldn't when (a decade ago), we spent a week together cleaning out our mother's house. We've always lived a long way apart as adults; so had never broached that subject.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #3824189

The only place where I'm certain of compass points is in my own yard; I have a terrible sense of direction and get lost easily. My husband, on the other hand, was born with a compass in his brain. You can plop him down in the middle of an unfamiliar city, and he'll find his way around like a native. However, I do have a tape measure in my brain and can detect from 50 paces if something is 1/4" off. So maybe that's compensation for being a navigational dunce. :)
2roses
San Antonio, TX

August 6, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3824415

I get lost so frequently I rarely pay attention any more!
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3824429

In a car, or on a hike ... is it the same for you all? Would you get 'lost' quicker in a car or if you were on a hike?
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3824439

Ditto to ownedbycats. (Maybe it is something about cats that takes away ones internal compass . . .)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3824471

I'm echoing BDale60, exactly!

"Quite good when I'm paying attention as a driver or navigator. The only time my sense of direction fails me is when I've been "plopped down" in a new spot, driven by somebody else (e.g. picked up at an airport at night, driven to their home, talking during the drive). I get it into my head that south is north and north is south or something and have a devil of a time talking myself out of it."

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2007
5:16 PM

Post #3824482

I count myself among the directionally impaired. It's been far worse since moving to Albuquerque where streets suddenly changes names, the lane you are in turns into a right-turn-only lane and no one will let you over, or a wrong turn can leave you in the middle of a housing development under construction. I'd be lost (no pun intended) without Mapquest or Mapblast. Like Jltbaw, I am a landmark driver and need to be told to "turn right at the white house with the picket fence".

A GPS system is on my wish list for Christmas.

June
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #3824497

I'm the same as several here. Lose my way in buildings, parking lots - almost always turn the wrong way when coming out of a door unless I really focus. Love the one about outsmarting yourself - I try that too; if my instinct is to turn right, I try left and I'm wrong anyway! lol OTOH, sometimes I just "follow my nose" and it works!

Also can't judge distance, so I need landmarks on my way to know that I haven't passed where I need to turn, etc. If someone says go 1/2 mile and turn, I'm a goner. GPS is wonderful, but we only have one and it requires us to switch cell phones, so I only get it for special trips when DH wants to make sure I get home! DSS came to visit from the UK with his and we had Yoda's voice directing us everywhere. :-)

Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3824628

I'm usually pretty good with directions. My internal compass is as acurate as I need it to be.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #3824817

I have a good - perhaps very good - sense of direction, but what I am really proud of, is the memory of direction I have. If I drive into a foreign city / town and spend perhaps an hour around it, then I can remember where and how I went even ten years later. I noticed that in my journeys along Europe, in Rome, in Amiens, in Luxembourg, Brussells, and many other places. It is very pleasant to rely on this memory and it has helped me many times.

Dimitri
CultivatingKate
Holmes, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3824934

Sad to say I am about as directionally impaired as it's possible to be. At work, 2 young guys who worked for me would wait for me after a meeting in the other end of the building to make sure I could find my way back. Otherwise I would automatically turn the wrong way coming out of the meeting room. The worst arguments my hubsand and I ever had were in the car over directions when I was supposed to be navigating while he drove. We both say getting the navigation system in our 2001 car saved our marriage. We've now bought a couple portable ones to make sure any car we are in together has one.
BriarRose74
Moon Twp, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3825060

I am directionally challenged, but if I drive to somewhere, can usu get back / there again. Used to be if someone said "you can't get lost", then that was a guarantee that I would. I know the area I live in, areas used to live in and am usually fine; can make long distance trips w/o incident. But if I go into a bldg, I'll easily mistake which way is N, S, E or W, until come out. ~ Suzi :)
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #3825081

My DH thinks it's so funny that I had no idea of "east" "west"...but I always say that's good if you're lost in the forest (and I do know how to look at the sun and take a bearing...walk in one direction, etc).

I like these types of directions:

Take a left at the McDonald's, then go straight until you see the Dillards; go around it, at which point you turn left and look for a large freeway... :-)

Okay...I put a lot of miles on my car.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3825171

I have a pretty good since of direction, but I have trouble in certain towns for unknown reasons. One is Las Cruces, New Mexico, which should be easy and the other is Sienna, Italy which is laid out in a circle. Don't ask me why, I have a hard time with those two cities.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3825294

I said right on. However that is not 100%, as inside some buildings and nights with no moon or stars visable, I do tend to get confused. And that would usually be one quarter turn to the left. May be odd but that is what I have noticed if I asked which way is North.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3825308

I'd say I'm somewhere in between spot on and so-so. I still have baby brain from having my daughter last year so I've been getting a little confused lately. But I usually can find my way out of somewhere. NJ is small enough that you'll eventually find your way to a highway. Never been lost in a parking lot or mall.
jltbaw- so if you're facing south you still think east is to your right???
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3825391

I have an awful sense of direction, too. My family figured out a long time ago that if I say "turn left" and I'm really really REALLY sure I know exactly what I'm talking about... just go ahead and turn right. I'll be mad, but you'll get there a lot faster. LOL When I am driving I can tell you which way is north, but once I'm inside a building, forget it. I lose my car regularly in parking lots! I've always thought that someone must go out and randomly rearrange the cars while I'm in the store (any store!), cuz I'm sure I parked the car right here...? No, wait, maybe it was over there. Umm, which car did I drive today? hmmm...

(And I'm only 38! Wait until I really get senile! LOL)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3825410

When I was a little girl, my Dad made me the official family navigator when we went on road trips. For some reason, I've always been able to know which way is which.
Sunny_1
Florence, KY

August 6, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3825597

I rarely pay attention. I will begin now to see how I do. I have a clip-on compass.
I can tell the time of day within 10 min. without a watch by looking at the sun. I don't know how I do that! I also wake up at exactly the same time (6:55 a.m) no matter what time I go to sleep the night before...strange!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #3825603

I have no sense of time, either. I wonder if time and direction are related "senses", or if I'm just generally nonsensical. It's possible.. :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3825784

Just spent three weeks in Australia. That changes things around. The mantra we kept repeating was, "the sun is in the North!"
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3825944

LOL!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3825990

I was born in four square country. That is where the roads run east/west and north/south. So I am very direction oriented. I don't like it when things are all curved around. and there is no exact direction. I guess I am grid and gps in my thinking.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3826044

Born and bred on the west coast, I had a terrible time when we spent a week on the beach in NC! It was very disorienting.
GreenAtHeart
Franklin Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #3826188

I always know what direction I'm facing - but I often don't know where I am! My internal compass points the right way - but my internal GPS needs work.
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 7, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3826435

My sense of direction is excellent, and I think it's mostly due to the sun and a photographic memory. Without realizing it, a map forms in my head and I somehow always know where I am even in new places. I've walked the major cities in Europe -- Paris, Vienna, Budapest, Dublin, Belfast, Amsterdam, even Hong Kong and Taipei,-- and many towns -- Gloucester, York, Derby, Exeter, Bath, Bruges, Delft, Gouda, Blois -- and always knew where I was. I can negotiate subway systems easily, too (with a map).

The only city I have trouble with is London (England). After three visits, I haven't been able to 'get' the city. Then I realized: it's always overcast, so I can't see the sun. Have to rely on a map, whether I'm on the streets or taking the tube. The streets are such a mess, I have better luck following the underground!

Thumbnail by andycdn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3826468

Fun thread!

I can get around, but without an electronic compass in my car,
could easily become lost.

When seeking directions, I have never understood the "Go three
miles south of town, turn west and go two blocks" routine. Unless
there is sand to draw a sundial in and I have no idea what time it
is, how on earth do I know which direction is which?

LOL. I am, for the most part, serious. If someone put me in the
middle of Tulsa and told me to go south of town, I would stop
at the nearest convenience store to ask my location.

Don't follow me, I'm lost!

Hubby, on the other hand, could find his way out of a forest in another
country. If ever lost, he would be the one to call.

:-)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3826586

I use has the license plate frame:

Don't follow me, I'm lost!

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

August 7, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3826761

I practiced with a bucket on my head and always found the front porch!! even easier under water!

john
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3826800

ROTFLOL...I am so glad to see that I am not alone!!! I too get lost in buildings, walking, driving... you name it. I have every problem named above from always choosing the opposite direction to losing my car (and I also think someone moved it). My 1st job in San Antonio I rode the bus to downtown. For weeks I regularly got lost trying to find the bus stop to go home. Buses only came every hour so I spent a lot of time window shopping! My husband loves to tell everone that I once got lost on our own street! But it was a REALLY long street...LOL When We lived in a suburb of Dallas I could only go from one place to another by going home first. I knew how to get to sevearal places from home but could not make the connections on how to get to one place from another. The only way to "get my bearings" was to go home!!! I got lost so often when my kids where little they used to cry when they found out I was lost and ask "Is there a way home from here?" I think they really thought they would never see home again!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #3826824

John,

HUH???? please explain...lol
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3826896

Yardqueen, I think I'm your long lost sister. Everything you describe is so like me also. :) And I'm the woman that you see at the Wally World parking lot trying desperately to find my car and hoping that nobody notices that I don't have a clue as to where it might be.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #3828027

I have no sense of direction. Lets just put it this way...We went to Las Vegas in July of 2003...If it weren't for my husband I would still to this very day be trying to find my way out of the Mirage.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #3828175

Neither my DH or I can get where we are going until we get lost and ask for help. Course dear ol' hubby refuses to ask until we've driven down the same road in both directions. Forget the sun setting in the west. The sun is always in our eyes! Went to the beach headed south for Panama City, Fla. but ended up on a dirt road in Alabama. Thank goodness for a deputy escort back to the Fla line!

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3828294

When someone gives me directions such as "Go west, three miles, head north."
I ask "Left or right, please."

Honestly, if it is high noon and you are in a strange town, how do you know
which way is west?

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3828578

That's a fantastic picture, Cordeledawg!!
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #3828615

Thanks Marylyn, it was a father's day card. Inside said, "Lost in Love."
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3828650

Awwww... (giggling..)
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
4:33 PM

Post #3828660

I can't believe DonShire still hasn't chimed in with one of those nifty poems of his! Where are ya, Don?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3828672

Now how did I miss that picture? I think my newfound use
of the 'end' button on the keyboard is causing me to miss
good stuff.

Love the image!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3829421

I vote Barcelona, Spain as the most confusing city in the world. My DH and I drove around for almost 3 hours one night trying to find our hotel. You could SEE it but just not get there!!!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3829598

I'm pretty good with sense of direction. That being said I have been 'lost' and have asked for directions. I have even given wrong directons to people too.LOL
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3829621

LOL, now that's funny, Al!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

August 7, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3829629

Yardqueen, look at John's location - he's a diver. :-)
tangiegirl
Chester County, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3829661

I had to answer rarely.

I used to have a superb, completely infallible sense of direction. Blindfold me, spin me around ‘til dizzy….the instant I stopped spinning, I could tell you which direction was which. Then I moved inland after 38 years of living within sight of the Atlantic Ocean. Since that day, I can, and frequently do, get lost anywhere, anytime. Weird, but completely true.

Mapquest is my friend.

Jan
picante
Helena, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 7, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3829746

I finally realized last spring that I get my excellent compass bearings from mountains and the sun. We were in NW Ohio last April, where there was no sun and no relief whatsoever, and I kept "losing north", as we say in French.
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3829787

My friend and I got lost in this big neighborhood. The street signs were all trees, Maple St. ,Willow St. ,Oak St. ,Spruce,Pine,Walnut,Cherry and etc. The houses were all cookie cutter design new houses side by side. After we back on Maple Street again for the third time and made the Oak circle once again we were lost as a goose in a hailstorm and almost called someone on the cell phone until I saw the main highway. We finally weeded our way to a road that didn`t lead to another tree name thank goodness and got to go home.

I`ll confess directions are not my strong point. I can get lost in unfamiliar territory but at least I can use a map with good success once I have my location.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3830066

I voted "other", because I rarely get lost, but when given directions to "turn east" or "turn west", instead of "turn left" or "turn right", that totally corn-fuses me...so I have a compass in the car just for that reason!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3830155

I don't have a problem during the day, but at night that is another story. The compass in the car is a plus if you take a wrong turn, etc.
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3830458

Oh dear! I've gotten lost trying to get out of a public restroom! I was driving with a friend one day when she said,"Why are we going this direction? You do know you live the other way?" I was so embarrased I replied "I sensed danger."
I must say though, I am amazing at folding a map! LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3830666

LOL, and at digging tunnels??
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3831033

I have no internal compass. If I'm out of familiar surroundings I have no idea which way is which unless it's sunup or sundown. DH knows that if I leave a motel room to go to the pop machine, it might take me a long time to find my way back. I almost need a guide dog. :)
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #3832395

Gardener2005, My cousin lives in a subdivision of cookie-cutter homes, and the streets are 'Connie' and 'Kayla', etc. The way I find her is to turn into the subdivision, she lives on the first street. So I drive up and down until I see her house :) That's the only way I can find it!
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #3832830

What internal compass???? point me out which way and I'll go, other than that thank the Lord for GPS!
Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3833215

I'm a left or right, this way or that way kinda gal. N, S, E, or W ...I'm no good with those directions.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3834351

Yahoo Maps is my friend. That's all I'm saying...

Nicole

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3834630

Tunnel, I'm glad I'm not the only one who ever got confused leaving a public restroom. I always worry in a restaurant that I won't find my way back to my husband! That's why I prefer small restaurants. :)
deltaqueen
Holly Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3835319

You can blindfold me and spin me around 20 times and I still point to North!

Thumbnail by deltaqueen

Erynne
Orangeville, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2007
2:32 PM

Post #3836014

Spin me around 20 times blindfolded and I'll definitely land south!
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3836864

I have no sense of direction whatsoever! Good thing my DH was born with a compass in his head! Tamara

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3836869

Real men never get lost, just ask their wife.
:)

Paul

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
8:51 PM

Post #3837425

My family was fond of saying I could get lost in a paperbag! When I would transport girls home after service projects etc, they learned to TELL me where to turn! I am so grateful to my husband with his excellent sense of direction and his kind heart. I have called him many times; lost and in tears and he has "walked me home" by giving me turn by turn directions on the cell phone. Ben is never critical or crabby at me about my directionally challenged mind. How did I get so lucky?
Pat
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3838903

Biv, I don't leave the table in a big restaurant!
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3838932

My DH's favorite quote is "Trust me go left", a quote of a statement I made just prior to yet another failed navigation attempt. Geez, I meant the other left. LOL.
siskiyou
Prineville, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3839015

I always know where I am, but not necessarily where I'm going.
Katie_Jo
Wadsworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #3839778

LOL siskiyou!! I never know where I am, and RARELY know where I'm going. I blame it on having 3 small kids that have sucked my brains out. I just hope I get my brains back someday...
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3839885

I didn't know there was something called internal compass!!!!! lol!!!!!! just kidding.. but I think mine has been turned off!!!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3840956

I have no internal compass or if I do it malfunctioned at birth. My Father however has a great compass and never feared being lost. Asked where we were going he'd point off into the distance and say "over there" He would then proceed in that direction taking whatever road seemed to take that bearing. He never lost his way and was always heading toward the destination but he also didn't check to see if the road he was taking to get there went through. So he seemed to find every dead end street in the country. We called him DEAD END FRED

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3841362

Hmmm, I wonder if I am the only directionally impaired person who has been known to do a "dry run"? That's when you aren't sure where you are going but have to be there on time on a certain day. Like a meeting or a party. A few days ahead of time I arm myself with my Mapquest map, a page of written instructions (in LARGE type) and do a dry run. Then on the actual day I feel more confident about what lane to be in and what side of the street the house is located on.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3841465

I've done that!! :-)
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #3841522

I have done that too!!!!!

Machikoneko

Machikoneko
Hometown, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3841526

I do it all the time!

Marsha

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3841543

Are you kidding??? I ALWAYS do it when it's important! I would never make it to important stuff on time without it. I love MapQuest and other help, but sometimes even that is tricky, so I dry run.
Pat

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007

Post #3841566

Whew, I am glad to know I am not alone. We are the Dry Run Queens.

June

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 2:51 PM

broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2007

Post #3841567

I always thought a dry run was when you went to get something and, for whatever reason, you came back empty-handed.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3841616

Yep, I've done a dry run more than once.

LOL broncbuster, I think that's just called a wasted trip.

I'm wondering if this expression somehow came about in Prohibition days.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3841749

Good question: a "dry" run.

Me - I'm mapgirl. That is to say, my husband drives and I say "now turn onto rt. 73S, now after about ten minutes we should see Dead End Fred's Funeral Parlor on the left... " Without me, my DH would be clueless. However, if by myself, I can only go the way my mother used to go. Never mind they've built a newer, faster road, I have to go the old way. (Maybe my brain froze in the 1975 setting.) I can never learn my way around somewhere new. When i lived in Calif. for two years in college, I was totally baffled the way the ocean kept ending up on the left instead of right. I had to move back to the East Coast so the ocean would straighten itself out!

x, Carrie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2007
9:49 PM

Post #3841842

LOLOL
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3841916

If you spin me round 20 times I will just fall over and probably be sick! so please don't!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3842125

Same here.

xx, C
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3842153

All this discussion reminds me of my husband's father--a cheerful optimist, who never consulted a map OR asked for directions. Trips often took longer than expected. When asked he would always respond, "I'm going in the right general direction!"
This has become my mantra.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3842848

I think this has become one of the best Voting Booth questions ever! Thanks for the laughs!
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3843402

I consider myself 'directionally challenged' and am thinking of applying for benefits.

Searching for my car in the parking lot is a daily adventure for me.
senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2007
5:54 AM

Post #3843500

I will second your comments, bivbiv! I have, definitely, laugh my ... off!!! LOL
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3843859

I am always intrigued by origins of words and word usage, so the discussion above about "dry run" piqued my interest. My Webster's provides lots of common terms that use "dry" in various contexts, but doesn't mention "dry run." A Google search turned up a webpage for "The Word Detective" with a discussion of the origins for "dry run." The theory provided there is that the expression draws upon the name in the western U.S. for a stream that is typically dry, but occasionally runs with water, that can be followed until pools of water are sometimes found; somehow combined with the theatrical usage of "dry run" to designate a preliminary rehearsal without all the props and polish.

http://www.word-detective.com/032602.html
(scroll down to "Enter stage left, wearing water wings."

I'm not convinced. I think a "dry run" may be based more on the allusion of "wet" referring to being drunk. A "dry run" then would be a run done while sane and sober and lacking the confusion that would come if inebriated.

In garden terms, I suppose, a "dry run" is what you do when the sprinkler system suddenly comes on unexpectedly and you have to flee for cover?

Jeremy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #3844145

NY2CA, If you manage to qualify for benefits, PLEASE let me know cuz, I'm sure I would too!!! I would try to go thru the process myself but the Social Security office here is very difficult to find and I don't think I could get there!
Pat
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3845084

LOL Pat!

Lee
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3847813

I'm one of the ones who rarely knows and more often than not doesn't care. I am so quick to hand off phone calls at work when people ask for directions from where they are. How the heck would I know, I'm never trying to get to my job from you house or town:LOL:

It's funny someone mentioned Las Cruces NM. My best friend and I lived an hour from there and would go there to shop. One day we decided just to get lost in Las Cruces and turn down streets any and every direction just to see what we found. WE COULD NOT GET LOST!! Every street seemed to end up joining up with some street we were familiar with. It was really sort of scary. Like in those horror movies when you drive forever and end up back in the same place:LOL: We still do this in other cities though and have stumbled across some great places we'd never have found otherwise.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3848546

I'm terribly directionally challenged. I can't seem to remember directions
at all. I can read a map and I can figure out E/W/N/S from the sun. But I
always turn the wrong way when I'm guessing which direction I should head.
My DH got me a GPS for the car and I love it. I'm so much calmer when
going places now!

And yes - I've given wrong directions to strangers. Decided now I shouldn't
try. Worse that not giving directions is giving wrong directions.

I'm glad to see there are others that share my secret problem. (well - not
so secret - its hard not to notice how bad I am at this stuff!)

Tam
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3848593

Don't feel bad at all Tammy.

Where I work they put the conference rooms in the corners and label the SW,NW,SE, NE...I inevitably circle every floor until I end up at the right one. One day I found the right room but was on the wrong floor (which I only discovered after sitting there alone before calling into the meeting where they all asked where I was).

They have a lot of artwork that our firm owns and so I have learned to navigate by the art (you know, left at the black and white print, right by the big portrait). That worked okay until one day when they moved it all around. I was completely lost for days.

Lee

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3849130

Lee,
Changing the art work probably would REALLY confuse me and they might NEVER find me again! That is very unhumane to those of us that depend on visual cues in the environment since we can't depend on the internal compass we lack!!!
Pat
PhilsFlowers
Ocean Park, Surrey, BC
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3849222

When I was a child my ability to find places was excellent but that was then and this is now -- my husband, tired of worrying about me when I wasn't home an hour or more after I said I would be, gave me a GPS unit for my car. It is a great help and makes me wonder why I didn't get one myself years ago. I am impossibly hopeless and will drive around for hours just trying to find some place familiar. I can't even back-track myself because what you see going is quite different from what you see coming back. Like I never noticed that old house before! The reason being I was admiring the flower garden in the yard on the opposite side of the street. GPS has made travelling almost stress-free. I just press the address that I want to go to and it talks me right to that address It even tells me which lane I have to be in to make a turn. I LOVE that feature! As anyone who has ever driven with me will attest, I constantly worry about which lane I have to be in to make a turn and will get in it miles before I have to, just to have the peace of mind knowing I am in the right lane when the time comes to turn. My home address is also programmed into my GPS unit so that it takes me home from wherever it is that I happen to be. If it weren't for a few drivers on the road who do illogical things, driving would actually be pleasant now...

Phil
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

August 13, 2007
5:25 AM

Post #3850660

I am a very distant relative of Daniel Boone and like he used to say...I have never been lost...I've been in unfamiliar territory for a few days at a time, but never lost.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2007
12:56 PM

Post #3851108

LOL adelbercat!!

I change lanes miles ahead of when I need to, also, Phil... Those GPS units are sounding better and better!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3851258

"When faced with a choice, I will always go in the wrong direction."

Me too! My brother used to count on this. If he wasn't quite sure of a turn, he'd ask me... and then he'd go the other way. It worked every time! Really burned my cookies, LOL.

Thankfully, I've got one of those GPS units now (Navman), and I agree with Phil... driving is more relaxing now! Although actually, as long as it's just me in the car, I make as many U-turns as I need to and don't really worry about it.

Oddly, I'm good with maps. I'm just bad at "finding" my way.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3853698

More on the origins of "dry run:"
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dry1.htm
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3855965

Thanks for the link, bivbiv. Very interesting info for the origin of "dry run" as a fire department term for a call or exhibition of firefighting skills when no water was used.

Jeremy
pontadog
Jacksonville, TX

September 26, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5600816

Seldom do I have a problem but the GPS tools do interest me.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5601082

I just a new one - Garmin Nuvi 660 (the three digit number started with 6 anyway). Its got
a much larger screen than my old one - its nice & flat too. The batteries are rechargable and
its easy to program. Lots of places have good comparisons of all the features you can get.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

September 26, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5602338

I have never been lost. I have spent several hours with no idea as to where I was and explored various routes hoping one would take me to my destination. If all else fails I use the the great spiral route. I start at a point and slowly spiral outward until I find where I'm heading fo.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2009

Post #6248320

LOL some cute answers above!

I saw a bumpersticker on a car once that said "if you want to got to heaven, turn right and go straight!" Now that is a thought.

My directional is pretty accurate. Apparently I have a good magnetic force enough to witch water or underground current. Finding north is not usually a problem depending on time of day in which case, I am pretty good on knowing the time.. dont bother with a watch.

The DH uses GPS in his job quite a bit and even that thing has been known to be off...as we say, re-caluclating.. hehehe
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6307084

just saw this. i get lost in the parking lot at our local mall. i have a tom tom gps and i even had issues with that until tom tom realized there was something wrong with it and fixed it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6322746

My new Garmin unit has a great feature... when you unplug it from the car power cord, it automatically remembers its location the last time it was plugged in (in the car)... so you take it with you into the mall, and when you're done shopping it can do a "find where my car is parked" function.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6325160

Hi, Critter. Does it have a "find where I lost my mind" function? That would be very helpful. LOL

Jeremy

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
10:49 AM

Post #6326030

critter - that feature gives me grief! When I turn it on somewhere else and ask it
to find the nearest *whatever* it finds *whatever* closest to where it was! It doesn't
figure out where it is now before calculating. Ugh
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6328253

See, now, the opposite thing drove me nuts with my outdated unit... If it didn't have a satellite fix, it wouldn't give you any map information. Very annoying! I think this one will essentially work like "googlemaps" as well as like a GPS navigator.

Doesn't it do its "recalculating..." thing once it gets a satellite fix?

And Jeremy, I'm afraid Garmin can't get a fix on lost minds, misplaced memories, or what should come next on my to-do list... so sad.

;-)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6341156

I would be content if I could just find my garden tools and remember the last place I dropped them! I've thought of getting those key finder thingies to put one on my gloves, pruners, shovels, post hole digger, etc., but I'm sure I would lose the remote button that signals the key finder and spend countless hours looking for the remote that I currently spend trying to track down my trowel.

Jeremy

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6356821

I put a basket I use to collect produce by the door. Just drop my gardening gear
there if I haven't put it in the shed. Reduces the places I need to search. Works
most of the time. :-) Oh - paint the handles yellow. I have still left hori hori knife
outside all winter 'cause I couldn't find it but it does reduce that problem.

Tam
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6362697

Yellow is good, orange is good too! Location locators!! LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America