How's your internal compass?

There are a total of 443 votes:

It's spot on - I always know which direction I'm facing!
(146 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Just so-so; I know my surroundings, but I can get lost in unfamiliar places
(140 votes, 31%)
Red dot

I frequently need help to get my bearings
(57 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I rarely know (or care!) which direction I'm facing
(83 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Other?
(17 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm the early bird on this poll!

I generally have a sense of direction, but do get confused at times.

Jeremy

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Say what.....

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Quite good when I'm paying attention as a driver or navigator. The only time my sense of direction fails me is when I've been "plopped down" in a new spot, driven by somebody else (e.g. picked up at an airport at night, driven to their home, talking during the drive). I get it into my head that south is north and north is south or something and have a devil of a time talking myself out of it.

Davenport, IA(Zone 5a)

I voted for "So so".....

If I'm in unfamiliar territory, I rely on the Sun alot, for general directions! LOL

Sasha

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I suppose, that if I were to migrate much greater distances (such as birds & some butterflies, etc.), I may would be a bit concerned with {its} correct functioning - otherwise, everything's honky dory.

It's the external organ failures that can really chunk a monkey wrench into stuff .. along with outside negative factors that toy with my keeping my bearings.

- Magpye

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

When faced with a choice, I will always go in the wrong direction.

Doesn't matter where I am (subway, country road). When I try to outfox myself but going in the opposite direction I think I should be going - my first choice is correct.

My husband says I don't take direction well.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I could just quote what ownedbycats said. I am exactly the same. No sense of direction at all. of course, DH is just the opposite, and thinks I'm hysterical. I'm the same inside. Always turn the wrong way getting off elevators, etc. It's sad, really.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm with ownedbycats and grampapa: When coming out of a parking lot, etc, elevator, unfamiliar side-street, etc., I can usually be relied upon to drive gaily off in the opposite direction I should be going. I blame it on the area I live in--they keep moving the landmarks on me.
And don't talk to me about using the sun to orient myself, lol--they keep moving THAT, too!
But there is hope for me; It's called a "GPS" and I have one in my car!

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

Verizon Navigator! Before I had that, I'd stop every hour or so at a gas station and make sure I was headed in the right direction. Maps work too, mostly, but I like the reassurance of other people and the gps system.

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

Hawaii has a different way of giving directions. It's always, Mauka, Makai, Ewa, Diamond Head. Depending on where you are you could be going Makai but that may be north, east, south, or west. Since moving up here I still don't know which way I'm going.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

LeSnow: that's funny!

I could pretty much find my way around if I was to become lost. It' a Girl Scout thing, I guess.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I was in high school and teacher teach about compass as there is riddle!

"As crow fly goes as crooky road goes."

I follow the direction where I going. Like where Sun goes...

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

The thing I do best is turn around and go in the other direction! Luckily my big car has a compass but my minivan and I can get lost very easily. I'm retired now so it is all good!

Thomson, GA

It has been a family joke since my kids were small that I have the world's WORSE sense of direction. I know how to get around town and can drive cross country with a map or mapping software directions, but if distracted for just a second (like answering a cell phone call!!) and miss a turn, I am so lost. If the sun is shining and it's not high noon, I can usually figure out N/S/E/W - heaven help me if it's cloudy or lunch time! I love my new cell phone, it has Mapquest service, which if I have a signal and can find a street number I can usually get myself going in the right direction again. Use to take my laptop and have to find a wireless connection, which often drove me miles out of my way. I travel between 150-200 miles everyday, so I don't get too bent out of shape about one or two wrongs turns, it's to be expected!

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

My sense of direction is ok. If I ever get lost, I just look for an old barn.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Ooh, I can't wait to hear what DonShire comes up with for this one!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

If someone tells me to go east that means turn right. I somehow think east on always on the right no matter which may I'm facing lol. Now if they tell me to turn right at the pink building no problem. I have no sense of direction in unfamiliar places.(east is always on the right). Thank goodness my car has a navagation system.
Linda

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Almost never get lost. If I'm with a tour, I'm the one that gets the group back to where we belong. Have always been able to do this and it came as a great surprise to me that my sister couldn't when (a decade ago), we spent a week together cleaning out our mother's house. We've always lived a long way apart as adults; so had never broached that subject.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

The only place where I'm certain of compass points is in my own yard; I have a terrible sense of direction and get lost easily. My husband, on the other hand, was born with a compass in his brain. You can plop him down in the middle of an unfamiliar city, and he'll find his way around like a native. However, I do have a tape measure in my brain and can detect from 50 paces if something is 1/4" off. So maybe that's compensation for being a navigational dunce. :)

San Antonio, TX

I get lost so frequently I rarely pay attention any more!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

In a car, or on a hike ... is it the same for you all? Would you get 'lost' quicker in a car or if you were on a hike?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Ditto to ownedbycats. (Maybe it is something about cats that takes away ones internal compass . . .)

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm echoing BDale60, exactly!

"Quite good when I'm paying attention as a driver or navigator. The only time my sense of direction fails me is when I've been "plopped down" in a new spot, driven by somebody else (e.g. picked up at an airport at night, driven to their home, talking during the drive). I get it into my head that south is north and north is south or something and have a devil of a time talking myself out of it."

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I count myself among the directionally impaired. It's been far worse since moving to Albuquerque where streets suddenly changes names, the lane you are in turns into a right-turn-only lane and no one will let you over, or a wrong turn can leave you in the middle of a housing development under construction. I'd be lost (no pun intended) without Mapquest or Mapblast. Like Jltbaw, I am a landmark driver and need to be told to "turn right at the white house with the picket fence".

A GPS system is on my wish list for Christmas.

June

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I'm the same as several here. Lose my way in buildings, parking lots - almost always turn the wrong way when coming out of a door unless I really focus. Love the one about outsmarting yourself - I try that too; if my instinct is to turn right, I try left and I'm wrong anyway! lol OTOH, sometimes I just "follow my nose" and it works!

Also can't judge distance, so I need landmarks on my way to know that I haven't passed where I need to turn, etc. If someone says go 1/2 mile and turn, I'm a goner. GPS is wonderful, but we only have one and it requires us to switch cell phones, so I only get it for special trips when DH wants to make sure I get home! DSS came to visit from the UK with his and we had Yoda's voice directing us everywhere. :-)

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm usually pretty good with directions. My internal compass is as acurate as I need it to be.

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

I have a good - perhaps very good - sense of direction, but what I am really proud of, is the memory of direction I have. If I drive into a foreign city / town and spend perhaps an hour around it, then I can remember where and how I went even ten years later. I noticed that in my journeys along Europe, in Rome, in Amiens, in Luxembourg, Brussells, and many other places. It is very pleasant to rely on this memory and it has helped me many times.

Dimitri

Holmes, NY(Zone 5b)

Sad to say I am about as directionally impaired as it's possible to be. At work, 2 young guys who worked for me would wait for me after a meeting in the other end of the building to make sure I could find my way back. Otherwise I would automatically turn the wrong way coming out of the meeting room. The worst arguments my hubsand and I ever had were in the car over directions when I was supposed to be navigating while he drove. We both say getting the navigation system in our 2001 car saved our marriage. We've now bought a couple portable ones to make sure any car we are in together has one.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

I am directionally challenged, but if I drive to somewhere, can usu get back / there again. Used to be if someone said "you can't get lost", then that was a guarantee that I would. I know the area I live in, areas used to live in and am usually fine; can make long distance trips w/o incident. But if I go into a bldg, I'll easily mistake which way is N, S, E or W, until come out. ~ Suzi :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

My DH thinks it's so funny that I had no idea of "east" "west"....but I always say that's good if you're lost in the forest (and I do know how to look at the sun and take a bearing....walk in one direction, etc).

I like these types of directions:

Take a left at the McDonald's, then go straight until you see the Dillards; go around it, at which point you turn left and look for a large freeway.... :-)

Okay...I put a lot of miles on my car.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have a pretty good since of direction, but I have trouble in certain towns for unknown reasons. One is Las Cruces, New Mexico, which should be easy and the other is Sienna, Italy which is laid out in a circle. Don't ask me why, I have a hard time with those two cities.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I said right on. However that is not 100%, as inside some buildings and nights with no moon or stars visable, I do tend to get confused. And that would usually be one quarter turn to the left. May be odd but that is what I have noticed if I asked which way is North.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'd say I'm somewhere in between spot on and so-so. I still have baby brain from having my daughter last year so I've been getting a little confused lately. But I usually can find my way out of somewhere. NJ is small enough that you'll eventually find your way to a highway. Never been lost in a parking lot or mall.
jltbaw- so if you're facing south you still think east is to your right???

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have an awful sense of direction, too. My family figured out a long time ago that if I say "turn left" and I'm really really REALLY sure I know exactly what I'm talking about... just go ahead and turn right. I'll be mad, but you'll get there a lot faster. LOL When I am driving I can tell you which way is north, but once I'm inside a building, forget it. I lose my car regularly in parking lots! I've always thought that someone must go out and randomly rearrange the cars while I'm in the store (any store!), cuz I'm sure I parked the car right here...? No, wait, maybe it was over there. Umm, which car did I drive today? hmmm...

(And I'm only 38! Wait until I really get senile! LOL)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

When I was a little girl, my Dad made me the official family navigator when we went on road trips. For some reason, I've always been able to know which way is which.

Florence, KY

I rarely pay attention. I will begin now to see how I do. I have a clip-on compass.
I can tell the time of day within 10 min. without a watch by looking at the sun. I don't know how I do that! I also wake up at exactly the same time (6:55 a.m) no matter what time I go to sleep the night before....strange!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have no sense of time, either. I wonder if time and direction are related "senses", or if I'm just generally nonsensical. It's possible.. :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Just spent three weeks in Australia. That changes things around. The mantra we kept repeating was, "the sun is in the North!"

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.