Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Coneflowers: Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower?

Communities > Forums > Coneflowers
bookmark
Forum: ConeflowersReplies: 4, Views: 386
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3824869

Is Rudbeckia hirta considered a coneflower? Just wondering, because when you type 'coneflower' in the common name search box in plantfiles, other Rudbeckias show up, Echinaceas and Ratibidas, but no R. hirtas. Maybe just the way they were enterd in PF?
Thanks, Mike
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 6, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3825985

I may be incorrect on my information, but I would say they are not a coneflower. Echinacea's common name is a coneflower and a Rudbeckia's common name is black eyed susan. However, I do see why it is confusing, they are both part of the same family Asteraceae along with Dracopis (an annual with the common name of clasping coneflower). You can tell by their looks that they are all cousins!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
11:17 PM

Post #3826002

I think at one point in nomenclature history some rudbeckias were echinacea or vice versa. That may explain the way DG has it organized and I think it is common practice to call some of the plain echinaceas rudbeckias. Jelitto calls them both ways... [HYPERLINK@www.jelitto.com]
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #3826014

In my opinion they are, they have well distinguished cones. For the sake of generalizing for this forum all hirtas that aren't annuals work for me.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6054159

I guess this forum is for any plant with a cone. I only consider Echinaceas to be coneflowers though. I have no idea what they intended with this forum. I like all the Rudbeckias and Echinaceas so it's cool with me! Mexican Hat plants have the biggest cones though. LOL.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 18 Aug 29, 2014 2:53 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM
where would be a good place to buy the different coneflowers glevely 19 Sep 21, 2009 8:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America