Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Coneflowers: Staking Coneflowers

Communities > Forums > Coneflowers
bookmark
Forum: ConeflowersReplies: 28, Views: 415
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #3826302

I read that some coneflowers have to be staked. Do you stake yours and what do you use if you do?

I have these on order and wonder if they will need staking?

Harvest Moon
Hope
Jade
Raspberry Tart
Summer Sky
Sundown
Sunrise
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3826324

Oh, rosethyme--you have ALL those on order?!! You're really becoming a conehead!

Well, I don't stake mine usually--but I do have E. paradoxa and that is long and leggy and leans on its neighbors.

And I have others that definitely do not get enough sun and they need staking. If they were planted properly I think they would be fine-- of course, now that I look at your list I don't have any of those but saw them at the growers last week and they seemed to stand up pretty straight in their one gallon pots.

Hope you have fun with all your new coneflowers. Can't wait to see pics of your garden!
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3826426

Thanks, Tabasco. That's good to know that these should stand pretty well. Oh yes, already wanting even more so definitely a conehead...didn't take long for the addiction to take hold, Lol.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3826670

Just staked Hope tonight - got a little top heavy. Sometimes I stake them if they are prone to wind blowing them a lot of shade making them grow sideways. Jade,Rasberry Tart and Sunrise shouldn't need staking.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3826891

if you plant tall grass with them that should "stake" them. at least that's how nature would have it.
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #3826905

That's a great idea Len123...I was wondering what to use.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #3826953

little bluestem, or any warm season tall ornamentals would probably work. like maybe karl foerster, miscanthus, mexican feather grass, switch grass,indian grass.
or even some shorter ornamental grasses would probably work also. maybe a mix and match.
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2007
10:29 AM

Post #3827539

Hi all,

Sophie and I are very thankful for this new forum!!!!

Thumbnail by BettyFB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3828247

Sophie could be the cover girl for "English Gardens" magazine!
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3828370

I agree! Betty that's a beautiful picture of Sophie in your garden.
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3830455

Thanks Tabasco and rosethyme,

I took about a hundred pictures of the girls in my backyard a few weeks ago and just followed them around letting them do whatever they chose to do, and I just kept flasthing pictures. Sophie looks like a real gardener in that picture, except for the dress. I thought this would be a perfect picture for this new Forum.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3835190

That is a beautiful picture, Betty. And Sophie is precious. : )

~Lucy
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2007
9:19 AM

Post #3835571

Thanks Lucy,

Hope you are not getting too hot in Florida right now. It will be 102 in Louisville today!!!!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3837661

Betty, the heat and humidity have been terrible the last few days for alot of people.

I go out in the early morning and do a few things, and then back out in the late afternoon to water. It's been a long time since I remember it being this hot. I sure hope it ends soon. I hate being inside. : )
~Lucy
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #3838209

Lucy,

I was inside all day except for watering the flowers early this morning in the dark with my flashlight and it is almost 9 pm now and I just turned on the sprinkler. It is supposed to continue in Louisville for the next two weeks.

By the way I just talked to someone from Iceland and the temp there yesterday was 56 degrees and raining. I told her to send some of that weather our way .She said it never gets above 70 degrees in the summer.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3838416

Two weeks???? Oh nooooo! I hope not. I'll have to set up yard lights to garden. Wonder how the neighbors feel about me mowing at 3 am. lol ; )
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2007
9:43 AM

Post #3839374

BlueGlancer,

That was very funny!!!! I got up at 4:30AM to turn on my sprinkler and will have it on till I leave for work at 7. No way am I going to lose all these flowers now. See some of the pictures I have posted of my yard under the Photos Forum. Some are on the second page. I love gardening and to be honest I always wanted to live in Florida where I could garden all year long!!!

I had the soaker hose running all night long on my 30 roses. I came home last everning from work and they all looked so sad and thirsty. They had a good drink of water all last night to be sure!!!!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3840319

I think we have taken over this thread, Betty. We better get back to talking about staking coneflowers, or rosethyme will feed us to her garden pests. : )

I will go take a look at your yard in the Photos Forum. : )
~Lucy
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3841581

LOL! Feel free to use this thread you two. :) Besides, I like Len123's idea for staking.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3849995

BettyFB, can you tell me what kind of zinnias those are in your pic? I love that hot pink!

Renee'
BettyFB
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2007
9:10 AM

Post #3850775

Hi Renee,

I got the seeds from Burpee and it is Oklahoma Cherry. So far they have all done well but one that was yanked up a few weeks ago --covered with mildew. But it was my fault--as I had crowded it into one bed and not given it enough room for air circulation. The others were given enough room and are doing fine. So do not let that stop you from trying them next year. I started the seeds under lights last March and had good germination and will try them again for sure. I like the smaller zinna flowers.

Thumbnail by BettyFB

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3852085

Lovely! I will look for them next spring, thanks! Does anyone know if it's too late to expect more blooms from coneflowers if I hack off the yucky faded blooms now?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7808941

Isn't it nice to see a little girl in a pretty dress with ribbon in her hair? Don't see many little girls dressed like that anymore..mostly slacks, jeans, etc. even for church. Upsets me how Mother's dress or allow their kids to dress going to church. It's definately a different world then we grew up in!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8662088

Hi everybody! I was really hoping to get some good suggestions. I am mostly on Hosta Forum, but I have a lot of full sun in my back yard. Last year I planted a Cone flower, just a regular Purple one, it lived and had one or two flowers. No big deal. This year it is huge and I don't know what to do with it, it has maybe 30 flowers and I stuck a tomato cage around it to keep all the flowers off the ground. This is my small perennial bed I just fixed up in early spring. I have not given it any fertilizer!!

Thumbnail by virginiarose

echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8662423

I don't stake mine. I plant the floppy ones by others to prop them up.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8662434

I have too many to stake, but they (and the weeds!) hold each other up.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8662740

I hear ya, Maybe I just don't have enough of them. I'll try planting more stuff in front. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2011
2:22 AM

Post #8663485

Clint would be the coneflower expert to answer your question on those plants. I have at least 3 or 4 tall varieties but the seeds are all from the "regular purple coneflower" but the two planted in the front flowerbeds are tall. Would love to order that PowWowBerry or some of the orange/coral color ones. Token from the GW has that Harvest Moon variety I think and he has posted that he likes that one.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8664176

All we have is the Magnus purple one, but I'd like to have a variety of others. Maybe if the shorter ones are planted between the tall ones, they'd hold each other up? But then, I wonder if you could see the shorter ones that way...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 18 Aug 29, 2014 2:53 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
where would be a good place to buy the different coneflowers glevely 19 Sep 21, 2009 8:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America