Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Sweet corn: pass the floss, please....: You made me think of "home"...

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet corn: pass the floss, please....
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet corn: pass the floss, please....Replies: 7, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
girlgroupgirl

August 8, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3833094

Dea, I love the way you started the article, talking of the folks who grow and sell
the corn. I grew up in a suburb, but it was not far from farm land where our dear
friends grew all the produce they brought a few miles into the city. Fond memories
of that first day of fresh corn came flooding back!

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2007
9:21 PM

Post #3833932

thanks triple "g" :)
bozley
Columbus, OH

July 13, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6814567

Growing up, after 16 years in the city, my parents moved to the country. My best friend's parents were sweet corn and field corn farmers. My friends Mom would always call my Dad early on Saturday mornings when the corn had been just picked. She had always picked out the best ears for our family and gave my Dad 3 dozen ears. She always refused any money since I was friends with her son. My family of 8 would devour those 36 ears for lunch that very afternoon. Nothing like fresh sweet corn right from the field.
This year I expanded our vegetable garden and included 3 rows of corn. We are growing bi color Mirai, supposedly the sweetest corn you can grow. It is doing well and we'll see what happens. I can't wait!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6814597

Good luck and enjoy every bite !
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6814798

I have enjoyed sweet corn for about 70 years now...just had 2 homegrown Ambrosia bi-color ears earlier.

My first memories of sweet corn eating were down at my grandmother's. She liked the white corn, but I liked the yellow Golden Bantam. Still, I ate some of the shoe peg Country Gentlemen and Stowell'Evergreen white.

I have evolved through the varieties through the years. Now you can pick the newer varieties and store a few days in the fridge. In the older days you rushed it to the cooking.

I have 8 plantings again this year. The first is going daily and the next one is earing now while the third planting is starting to tassel. I have Ambrosia bi-color se+; Incredible yellow se+; and Montauk bi-color 75%se+/25%sh2.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6815134

Please let us know how you enjoy the different varieties. We didn't plant this year but thinking about next year already !!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6815804

I know I love the Ambrosia and Incredible but am curious how well I will like the Montauk...it likely will be chewier and larger kerneled...not my type usually.
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6823150

Funny you should talk about the front-toothless way to eat corn. I did that the summer after 1st grade. Would not even consider having it cut off the cob, just clean your whole face! Daddy grew it at one house we lived in for 2 summers in WI and he was taught to get the water boiling before going out to pick the corn so it was very fresh. Sadly, my DH and DD do not appreciate the ritual, nor even the effort or taste of corn on the cob.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet corn: pass the floss, please.... Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very enjoyable! BDale60 13 Jul 13, 2009 1:07 PM
Love it - great way to start the article MitchF 6 Aug 8, 2007 9:05 PM
Great Job paulgrow 1 Aug 8, 2007 9:33 PM
Dea's Polenta Receipe steveodaniel 2 Nov 9, 2009 8:33 AM
Corn & Polenta Petalpants 1 Jul 17, 2009 4:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America